What were Ned's mistakes?

Panos Targaryen

Not telling Jon about his parentage. Accepting the hand job. Leaving Catelyn behind. Choosing to take a shit before breakfast instead of after that morning. Killing Dayne, Hightower, and Whent. Getting all but Howland killed at the ToJ. Not getting there fast enough to save Lyanna.

Who knows what he blames himself for. Those are just possibilities. I would expect with Ned that they are entirely honest mistakes though.

Definitely this. I think when he got through to Lyanna and actually got to talk to her he realized that the death's of Dayne, Hightower and Whent were regrettable. Not sure if he, or anyone, could've saved her by getting there any sooner though.

And add me to the list who paused for a second wondering when he got the hand job. :)

Definitely this. I think when he got through to Lyanna and actually got to talk to her he realized that the death's of Dayne, Hightower and Whent were regrettable. Not sure if he, or anyone, could've saved her by getting there any sooner though.

And add me to the list who paused for a second wondering when he got the hand job. :)

To be fair, I'm guessing what HE feels. I know if I got there and my hypothetical sister died (or my brother's somehow, I guess?), I'd blame myself for not being able to get there sooner and maybe get her to a maester. It doesn't mean it was a legitimate mistake, rather that he believes it was a mistake.

As far as the handjob, I can't quite piece together how that goes with Catelyn.

To be fair, I'm guessing what HE feels. I know if I got there and my hypothetical sister died (or my brother's somehow, I guess?), I'd blame myself for not being able to get there sooner and maybe get her to a maester. It doesn't mean it was a legitimate mistake, rather that he believes it was a mistake.

As far as the handjob, I can't quite piece together how that goes with Catelyn.

Guessing Ashara had some talents that Catelyn didn't

I think Neds biggest mistake was not realizing the position he was in.He kept saying KL was a snkes pit but he never behaved according to it.He didn't do his research better, if he did he would habe known about the disgusting tales LF was spreading about Cat and he wouldn't trust him same goes for Varys and the others.Another mistake was not bringing a huge amount of people loyal to him or Robert.He knew KL was ful of Lannister soldiers and Lannister supporters, the reason he lost in the first place was him not having a real military threat over the Lannisters.I think he had to make some marrieage arrangments for Bran, Robb and Sansa early on the series actually very early.If Robb was married to Marg, then Starks would have a strong hand over Lannisters.Also I think he had to put a good guy as Lord poretector to Vale.While Lysa was considered good a women as a ruler (who lost his husband is never a good thing look at Lady Hornwood ramsay) if Vale had one of Neds good friends as the lord regent then Ned would have a strong hold on Vale as well even if he didn't have Tyrells he would have 3 of the 7 kingdoms at his side.

Archived