I truly don't get the Stannis apologisits...

BarristonTheBAMF

I want the 30 seconds back that it took to read this post. In all seriesness there is some terrible punishments. Gelding rapists is something I am okay with... if they actully commited the crime. The burnings are weird and their meant to inspire fear which most people don't seem to get. Everyone seeks to inspire fear in this story. You might as well not read this book if you have a problem with it. Is it terrible? Yeah i won't defend it in the modern context. That is the world they live in however. If you try to put modern morals to everything. Then every one is a bad guy.

Renly and Viserys play the same role. Martin wanted to put them on the same level. Stannis and Daenerys. She could have saved her brother. Stannis could have worked out something with Renly. They both choose to actively fight their sibling. Stannis thought it would be battle- Daenerys knew SHE wanted the throne early. If your going to call stannis evil then you better call Daenerys evil.

My thoughts on all of this? It's a fictional story. Debate on characters is a good thing- but don't be a pot calling the kettle black. Women are just as evil as men in this story.

Renly and Viserys play the same role. Martin wanted to put them on the same level. Stannis and Daenerys. She could have saved her brother. Stannis could have worked out something with Renly. They both choose to actively fight their sibling. Stannis thought it would be battle- Daenerys knew SHE wanted the throne early. If your going to call stannis evil then you better call Daenerys evil.

Letting your brother be punished for a violent assault =/= actively murdering him. Or, in your own words, (passively) not saving your brother =/= (actively) assassinating your brother.

Stannis is great character hated by a few loved by many .i would follow him to gates of hell . Stannis is only King that knows the true enemy . No don't care who his supporters burn freeze kill in any manner its a book . In fact the world is a bad place ours and his ...

You said it my man! Also, he is one of the least selfish kings, in that he is willing to go through the most physical discomfort and risk in order to establish his rule over Westeros. I also love how he doesn't want the crown for himself, rather he wants it as a means to impose justice on a largely arbitrary and unjust land.

He was the only one willing to help save the realm from the wildlings, the only one who castrates rapists in his army, and the only one who has a strong sense of doing what is right as opposed to what he wants.

I know he gets a ton of hate for thinking about burning Edric, but he was rather torn up about all that. He only even considered it, because he believed Melisandre, and believed it was possible that if he did not do that, than all the people of Westeros would die. I don't see why he's horrible for agonizing over that..

You said it my man! Also, he is one of the least selfish kings, in that he is willing to go through the most physical discomfort and risk in order to establish his rule over Westeros.

:lol: That's one way to define "least selfish" I guess...

I don't know about "selfish," but Stannis is extremely self-centered.

You said it my man! Also, he is one of the least selfish kings, in that he is willing to go through the most physical discomfort and risk in order to establish his rule over Westeros. I also love how he doesn't want the crown for himself, rather he wants it as a means to impose justice on a largely arbitrary and unjust land.

He was the only one willing to help save the realm from the wildlings, the only one who castrates rapists in his army, and the only one who has a strong sense of doing what is right as opposed to what he wants.

I know he gets a ton of hate for thinking about burning Edric, but he was rather torn up about all that. He only even considered it, because he believed Melisandre, and believed it was possible that if he did not do that, than all the people of Westeros would die. I don't see why he's horrible for agonizing over that..

The Edric stuff happened before he gave a thought to the Wildlings/Wall/Others. He considered burning him for the Crown. It's AFTER Davos betrays him and smuggles Edric out and when he's himself facing death that Davos persuades Stannis to save the realm when up to then, by his own words, all Stannis was thinking about were his rights.

So Stannis killed Renly, Penrose, etc. and considered killing his nephew for his 'rights'.

I agree after that point you can argue Stannis turns down a much more righteous path, motivations-wise, but 2 facts are undeniable:

1) Before that..which covers most of his worst stuff...he was doing w/e he did in pursuit of getting what he felt was owed him.

2) If he has remotely attractive alternatives, he doesn't go North. He chose going north over attacking the Celtigars and/ or waiting to die on DS. He chose attacking Renly and KL when he actually had a choice.

Archived