What quote gave you chills when you read it?

Brynden Blackfish Jr.

"The traitors want my city ... but I’ll give them naught but ashes. Let Robert be king over charred bones and cooked meat."

"It was not for murder that the gods cursed him nor for serving the Andal king his son in a pie. A man has a right to vengeance. But he slew a guest beneath his roof, and that the gods cannot forgive."

"And now it begins."

"No, now it ends."

This didn't get me the first time I read it because I did not know then what was to come. After I found out what became of Tywin, I searched for it and finally found it. Like walking into a blinding snow storm and out the other side. It was there all that time and I never thought anything of it:

When Tyrion goes out to meet the Prince of Dorne and finds Oberyn instead:

I had just been born, what did you expect of me? (Tyrion)

Enormity, the black haired prince replied. You were small but far famed. We were in Oldtown at your birth, and all the city talked of was the monster that had been born to the King's Hand, and what such an omen might fortell for the realm.

Famine, plague and war, no doubt. Tyrion gave a sour smile. Its always famine, plague and war. Oh, and winter, and the long night that never ends.

All that, said Prince Oberyn, and your father's fall as well. Lord Tywin had made himself greater than King Aerys, I heard one begging brother preach, but only a god is meant to stand above a king. You were his curse, a punishment sent by the gods to teach him that he was no better than any other man.

WOW! It was foretold at Tyrion's birth. How many of us caught that? It gave me chills when I read it after Tywin's demise. Every word of it came true or is about to.

"Dragons plant no trees"

"Ned Loved my hair"

"Only Cat"

"My name is Theon. You have to know your name."

"You'll have to carry me." "Think so?"

"Edd, fetch me a block."

"The Wall is yours, Jon Snow."

"The north remembers, Lord Davos. The north remembers, and the mummer’s farce is almost done. My son is home.”

"He has a song. He is the prince that was promised and his is the song of ice and fire."

Easily the scene when Cat has her father's bannermen arrest Tyrion at the crossroads.

“This man came a guest into my house, and there conspired to murder my son, a boy of seven,” she proclaimed to the room at large, pointing. Ser Rodrik moved to her side, his sword in hand. “In the name of King Robert and the good lords you serve, I call upon you to seize him and help me return him to Winterfell to await the king’s justice.”

Excerpt From: George R. R. Martin. “A Game of Thrones.” iBooks. https://itun.es/us/9p7bz.l

Quite a few of my favourites on this list already. The Tower of Joy bit in GoT is great.

The whole chapter where Davos is with the Manderlys in WH is one of my favourite in the entire series. People have mentioned Wylla's great speech in the hall and also the awesome bit where Wyman reveals to Davos that he's been playing the Freys all along. But so far no one has mentioned imo the best line in the whole chapter:

The man was smirking as he told the tale. Davos wanted to peel his lips off with a knife. "Ser, may I have your name?"

"Ser Jared, of House Frey."

"Jared of House Frey, I name you liar."

(The bolded bit is where I go: "F*ck yeah Davos, you da man!" and then fistpump for about an hour.)

Easily the scene when Cat has her father's bannermen arrest Tyrion at the crossroads.

This man came a guest into my house, and there conspired to murder my son, a boy of seven, she proclaimed to the room at large, pointing. Ser Rodrik moved to her side, his sword in hand. In the name of King Robert and the good lords you serve, I call upon you to seize him and help me return him to Winterfell to await the kings justice.

Excerpt From: George R. R. Martin. A Game of Thrones. iBooks. https://itun.es/us/9p7bz.l

I also really liked this part, and think it was also very well done in the series because it gave me the same chill.

The good hell-yeah kind of chills: "No" (to cersci at the Sept)

The creepy kind of chills: The bit where Arya thinks that the rain will wash the blood off her face. (Sorry, books are lent out so no exact quote)

Hounerable mention to Bran's last chaper in Dance, the whole mood of that creeped me out

Basically every quote about Lady Stoneheart, these two being my favorites:

"She don't speak, you bloody bastards cut her throat too deep for that. But she remembers."

"And she rose. May the Lord of Light protect us. She rose!"

Also:

"No, don't. Don't cut my hair. Ned loves my hair." (the RW chapter as a whole gives me chills)

"Promise me, Ned." (the entire Tower of Joy dream sequence is incredibly beautiful)

"The North remembers, Lord Davos."

"The maesters may believe what they wish. Ask a woods witch if you would know the truth. The grey death sleeps, only to wake again. The child is not clean!"

- Val, about Shireen.

"Dead things in the woods. Dead things in the water." - Cotter Pyke's letter

Yeah, this was all kinds of grim, and I have to say it matches up very well with something that creeped me out: the re-appearance of the Stone Men & the Bridge of Dream. Creepy fog, creepy men with a creepy disease, creepy Hobb's End sorts of effects in their travels. It was not a quote, but it did give me chills.

Now consider them in the context of "dead things in the water" and also Shireen's greyscale / Val's comment.

Cersei: The king is my son.
Kevan: Aye, and from what I saw of Joffrey, you are as unfit a mother as you are a ruler.

There was so much unexpected awesomeness from Kevan in that speech. Especially when he ends with "The boy has his mother. Aye, and his father too, I think."

Archived