What if. The King's Guard won at the Tower of Joy?

Poppa Chase

Robert is going to hand over governance of the realm to a guy who fought against him, beat him in the field, and besieged his home? I don't think so. He needed someone he could trust I can't think of anyone Robert would trust less than Mace for that job (maybe Doran).

Joff was ripping apart cats long before Nymeria bit his arm.

Yes because he needs another Lord Paramount at his side and a wife for his son. Binding the reach and storm would benefit the entire south.

And maybe the sadism would have stayed with the cats instead of moving on to people, or Robert could have beat it out of him. Who knows.

Seriously, would Lyanna not have had any authority to tell the KG not to kill her brother? Unless she was a genuine prisoner of course. I've always thought it was so strange that Ned had to kill members of the KG just to be able to see his own sister. Something doesn't add up.

I thought so as well. Then somebody convinced me that it would make sense that the KG fought for Jon. But nowadays I'm back to square 1. Something is fishy with this whole situation.

Yes because he needs another Lord Paramount at his side and a wife for his son. Binding the reach and storm would benefit the entire south.

And maybe the sadism would have stayed with the cats instead of moving on to people, or Robert could have beat it out of him. Who knows.

He can marry Joff to Margaery without making Mace hand. Tywin did exactly that. Royal marriage is tempting enough on its own.

Sadism towards animals is an indicator of future violence towards people. Joffery was a sociopath and the beatings he received from Robert probably had a large impact on making him that way it certainly wouldn't have cured him.

Ned married Cat because Brandon died. I think Benjen would have married her if Ned died to continue the Stark family. Just having Robb as the only heir to Winterfell wouldn't have been enough.

If the Kingsguard got out of the TOJ quickly with the baby when Lyanna died and went to Starfall, perhaps they could have come up with a good plan. Lets say just Arthur Dayne lives. He could go home to Starfall and give the baby to Ashara Dayne to raise. She just had that miscarriage and people could think the baby is hers. Robert would probably have let Arthur bend the knee if he didn't know he killed Ned. Ser Barriston was allowed to surrender and maybe Ser Arthur would too if it meant protecting the baby and waiting until he was older to try to claim his birth rights. Otherwise he would need to take the baby across the Narrow Sea and try to muster allies to retake the throne from there. Staying in Westeros and not hiding the fact that the baby is Rhaegar's is suicide.

If the KG won at the TJ, I would think we would be hearing of a story about how the Targs were overthrown and that this would be the big twist in the story. Not the one fifteen years later when Ned loses his head.

If both Ned & Lyanna are dead...Robert would, in my opinion, do everything he could to end the Targaryen line. Therefore the Beggar King and his sister would be dead at some point and there would not be a Jon Snow (or unnamed baby since Ned is dead too). Therefore no Dragons.

LF, Varys wouldn't have as strong of a chance to overthrow Robert, if that is what they are orchestrating now.

Yes, they would indeed be dead. But LF doesn't care one whiff about the Targs and Varys doesn't care about any of those three. He had FAegon and JonCon.

Sadism towards animals is an indicator of future violence towards people. Joffery was a sociopath and the beatings he received from Robert probably had a large impact on making him that way it certainly wouldn't have cured him.

Robert only beat Joffrey one time and that was because Joffrey cut up the pregnant cat. So the beating didn't lead to Joffrey's sadistic nature. It was already there.

Dorne is already defeated.

Also, Robert has the whole 7K at his back. He had won, no matter the outcome of the TOJ.

Well protected, with the small caveat that Robert would lead 200,000-400,000 men after them.

Dorne was already beaten, just like any other loyalist. Down and out.

When I said regroup I didn't mean immediately.

Now I think about it, in this scenario, maybe Arianne is sooner sent to marry/meet Viserys (who doesn't go mad), and Jon marries Dany. And half the board would kill themselves.

Robert only beat Joffrey one time and that was because Joffrey cut up the pregnant cat. So the beating didn't lead to Joffrey's sadistic nature. It was already there.

I'm not sure about that, either way beating a child isn't going to stop him for being violent it will make it worse.

Yes, they would indeed be dead. But LF doesn't care one whiff about the Targs and Varys doesn't care about any of those three. He had FAegon and JonCon.

fAegon now has even less of a chance now that he cannot be married to a Targaryen everyone knows is a Targaryen. fAegon is believed to be dead...and proving he is the son of Rhaegar will be extremely difficult now.

LF wouldn't need Jon Arryn dead in this scenario because that would not lure Catelyn to KL...if she is his ultimate goal.

I'm not sure about that

Cersei threatens Robert about hitting Joffrey again. But yeah, I agree about the beatings lead to increased violence part.

ETA:

I just checked the Wiki: "Cersei also remarks that Robert would have beaten the boy if she had allowed it."

Ned married Cat because Brandon died. I think Benjen would have married her if Ned died to continue the Stark family.

The difference is: Brandon and Cat were promised, not yet married: Ned and Cat were already married, and had quite obviously already consummated their marriage. We have no example of widowed women remarrying, as far as I know.

Oh, wait. D&E provides one example. Still. It doesn't seem like Cat.

What ever happened out at the tower of Joy doesn't make a lot of sense. How did ned take down one tower all by himself with one other man? Why would he go with a bunch of men. Why didn't he just ask to see his sister? Why didn't the KG have somebody taking care of Jon if Lynna was dieing? If their was a wet nurse what happened to her? If their wasn't a wet nrse how would the KG feed him? A lot of things don't make sense. At all.

Archived