What if. The King's Guard won at the Tower of Joy?

Poppa Chase

Or you know Ned was actually a good swordsmen in his prime. Obviously not at the same level as Arthur Dayne, but with a 7v3 advantage it was enough. I keep seeing people state it as a fact that Ned wasn't a great fighter and there is nothing to support such a statement. He trained with Robert. He fought throughout Robert's Rebellion without being injured. Ned didn't have the "reputation", but he was the type of man who didn't seek a reputation.

He isn't bad, but neither is he good. He's got no particular talent for it, but 15+ years of of the best training money can buy and better.

He's an average fighter, average for the high nobility.

He isn't bad, but neither is he good. He's got no particular talent for it, but 15+ years of of the best training money can buy and better.

He's an average fighter, average for the high nobility.

What is this based off of? I would say the fact that he has walked away from so many battles without being hurt is sufficient evidence of his ability. Even though it was 7v3 at ToJ he again walked away without injury from 3 of the greatest swordsmen in the realm. I'm not arguing that he was one of the best, but I would say he is better than average. GRRM wrote that scene with some respect for Ned's ability, else there would have been a lot more than 7 when he fought. The only excuse I've seen for the 7v3 is that Ned was highly arrogant in his ability, which doesn't match his character at all. Ned was honorable, but he knew his own ability and that of the King's Guard at the ToJ. He would not have arrived with less men then he needed to win.

I'm talking about Ned in his prime and not the Ned from GoT. By GoT he had been at peace for many years and was raising a family and ruling the North. No doubt his ability with the sword would degrade without constant practice.

edit: I think it is highly unwarranted for people to suggest that he was average as all the evidence provided by the books shows he was *probably* an exceptional fighter.

edit: I think it is highly unwarranted for people to suggest that he was average as all the evidence provided by the books shows he was *probably* an exceptional fighter.

:agree: You don't survive as long as Eddard Stark, accomplishing all his feats and are only an average fighter.

I don't fight in tournaments because when I fight a man for real, I don't want him to know what I can do.

~Eddard to Ser Jaime Lannister (TV SHOW) Premise remains.

What is this based off of? I would say the fact that he has walked away from so many battles without being hurt is sufficient evidence of his ability. Even though it was 7v3 at ToJ he again walked away without injury from 3 of the greatest swordsmen in the realm. I'm not arguing that he was one of the best, but I would say he is better than average. GRRM wrote that scene with some respect for Ned's ability, else there would have been a lot more than 7 when he fought. The only excuse I've seen for the 7v3 is that Ned was highly arrogant in his ability, which doesn't match his character at all. Ned was honorable, but he knew his own ability and that of the King's Guard at the ToJ. He would not have arrived with less men then he needed to win.

I'm talking about Ned in his prime and not the Ned from GoT. By GoT he had been at peace for many years and was raising a family and ruling the North. No doubt his ability with the sword would degrade without constant practice.

He's saying Ned was average for a Lord.

He can marry Joff to Margaery without making Mace hand. Tywin did exactly that. Royal marriage is tempting enough on its own.

Sadism towards animals is an indicator of future violence towards people. Joffery was a sociopath and the beatings he received from Robert probably had a large impact on making him that way it certainly wouldn't have cured him.

We don't know that there were beatings, we know he beat him after Joff sliced a cat open. I am not necessarily sure we know more than that.

:agree: You don't survive as long as Eddard Stark, accomplishing all his feats and are only an average fighter.

~Eddard to Ser Jaime Lannister

That's the tv show. Ned's average.

Tywin survived more than Ned.

(Why do people seem to need to make Ned a good/great fighter?)

That's the tv show. Ned's average.

Tywin survived more than Ned.

(Why do people seem to need to make Ned a good/great fighter?)

The quote might be but the premise remains the same. In the book, Rodrick was said that he was from the north, and shared the Stark views on tournaments.

No one said Tywin didn't...

The quote might be but the premise remains the same. In the book, Rodrick was said that he was from the north, and shared the Stark views on tournaments.

Does this some how make them any better than people who participate in tourneys? Plus, Eddard has no combat feats. He likely was a lead from the rear commander too.

Guys from the North enter tournaments. Jory enters the first one he's around for. It's not a part of Northern culture, but that has nothing to do with being more or less valid. GRRM said Brandon was very good at the joust. Ned's sentiment in the show doesn't reflect Ned's thinking; he doesn't fight because he's neither particularly good nor particularly interested in martial pursuits for their own sake. The show intentionally upped Ned's fighting skills because they felt tv audiences needed that. I think they're wrong, but sometimes I wonder.

No one said Tywin didn't...

But if surviving x means good fighter, and Tywin survived x+, and no one pretends he's a good fighter...

I acknowledge that I used a quote from the TV Show. Shame on me.

I don't particularly like/hate Eddard Stark, so I'm not trying to illogically root for my favorite character. What I was trying to say is that Eddard must be an above average fighter surviving as long as he did through all he did.

There are obviously better fighters out there and there are those who survived longer while going through more.

I think if Ned died at the ToJ, Mace Tyrell and Paxter Redwyne would have turned their cloak back to Targ loyalists, since they surrendered to Ned. Robert would still be injured from the Trident, so without Ned to lead his forces, the war would have languished but not ended.

If there was any prospect of that happening, the Kingsguard would have contacted Mace and co. prior their surrender to let them know there was still something to fight for.

Even if Jon is legitimate, he's a weeks-old baby at that point. If Mace isn't willing to keep fighting for Viserys, he's not going to fight for Jon. Also, frankly, I think the imputed strength of the Reach army during the rebellion is unrealistically low based on how many men GRRM gives them in the main story, but that's how Martin set it up, so you have to run with it.

I'd say it's even less likely that House Martell is going to rally behind Rhaegar's son by the woman he spurned Elia for.

People have suggested that Benjen might marry Catelyn in this scenario, and I agree that's possible. At an absolute minimum, Benjen would be marrying. There would be no option for buggering off to the Wall when the main Stark line consists of a one-year-old boy and Benjen. It would be his duty to marry and produce as many additional heirs as possible, whether he does that with Catelyn or with some other eligible lady.

~Eddard to Ser Jaime Lannister (TV SHOW) Premise remains.

And the show is BS. GRRM himself contrasted Ned's upped performance on the show with the real, average Ned.

By the way, Ned names the swordsman of the family. It was Brandon.

I acknowledge that I used a quote from the TV Show. Shame on me.

I don't particularly like/hate Eddard Stark, so I'm not trying to illogically root for my favorite character. What I was trying to say is that Eddard must be an above average fighter surviving as long as he did through all he did.

There are obviously better fighters out there and there are those who survived longer while going through more.

What did he survive? Two wars? I guess General MacArthur was a beast in personal combat...

Or you know Ned was actually a good swordsmen in his prime. Obviously not at the same level as Arthur Dayne, but with a 7v3 advantage it was enough. I keep seeing people state it as a fact that Ned wasn't a great fighter and there is nothing to support such a statement. He trained with Robert. He fought throughout Robert's Rebellion without being injured. Ned didn't have the "reputation", but he was the type of man who didn't seek a reputation.

GRRM has said Ned wasn't a great swordsmen just a good soldier.

Archived