If you are a fan of Arya...

Whitering

And...? You don't believe me or something? I am sure you would be able to find archived posts, but as the boards moved I was required to re register at one point or another.

Congratulations, and I guess here is where I would ask you, and actually suggest that you start your own thread and you know, not derail this one.

?

Derailing is a time honored tradition.

And no, I don't believe you.

The final verdict from my daughter was that it was a good book.

- Not as good overall as Brad Gallagher's Escape from Zobadak.

- Much better than Stuart Gibbs' Spy School, which was a recent read recommended by the librarian.

- Not as funny throughout as Henry Reed's Journey by Keith Robertson, but a few passages were funny to her, particularly the Women's Health and Beauty League recommendations for bicyclists.

She has now requested The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag, so we will see how long she stays interested in Alan Bradley.

And we are on to A Red Herring Without Mustard, and I am at the half-way point while my daughter is about 80% through to the end.

While it is a style that is pretty arch to my taste, my offspring is enjoying it and has asked me to read at the same time with her so that we can compare notes.

Today we talked about the concept of an unreliable narrator while riding in the truck to practice, and I firmly approve of any book that stimulates literary discussion with her. We both agreed that Flavia is an unreliable narrator. Good stuff.

• 3 weeks later...

And this week my wife and daughter just hit the big reveal that happens at the end of Speaking from Among the Bones. While I haven't read any more of these books, the girls had a lively discussion about cliff-hangers and whether what happened to the key character was "fair".

So thank you for the recommendation, as it has spurred several nice conversations about books in our family.

Archived