Long Night was underwhelming.

Nothing was added or found. It was fruitless if anything and pretty much common knowledge. I was desperate to find something new about The Others. Just a little bit of something but nothing was there :( disappointed with that. I'm sort of disappointed this was written by a Maester since the maesters probably know as much as we do. Doesn't matter. I'm enjoying it anyway :)

P.S that artwork was crazy good though

I think it's kind of encouraging that little is known since it increases the drama surrounding their return. Everyone (in the South especially) underestimates or even doubts the existence of the Others. Can't wait for the reveal.

I was interested in it. Book mentions effects of long night on Rhoyne. So I wonder could there have been a vice versa situation, "A long day" if you will, somewhere in the deep South of Sothoryos? It would fit the duality of the series.

I loved that bit on the Rhoyne. I never looked into the Rhoynar much but god,it was great.

Logically one should expect a lot of information on Long Night simply because it was a notable event. Dustins, Gardeners, Daynes, the other First Men houses who survived the Long Night some way or other... If the Gardeners have a 12 000 year long history between Garth Greenhand and Mern the Last, then the 600 kings and queens... the stories of the 200 kings and queens ruling in the 4000 years between Garth Greenhand and Long Night, reporting routine dynastic marriages and fruitless wars with neighbouring petty kings... retold and sung by as yet illiterate First Men... They would tend to abbreviate and forget the stories because of their tediousness - they should remember the stories of founding AND of surviving Long Night, but summarize the 4000 years in between as a long time with little noteworthy events.

Archived