US Politics: The Chief Executive's Immigration Smackdown

Tywin Manderly

SYC,

I'd like to see everyone gainfully employed. If our vets are reduced to taking jobs migrant workers do there are serious issues with the US economy.

You realize the illegal immigrants are not just picking crops, right? Those that work in construction for example, have relatively well paid jobs, desired by many Americans.

You realize, illegal immigrants are not just picking crops, right? Those, that work in construction for example have relatively well paid jobs, desired by many Americans.

Yep, I do.

Do you realize that I have worked along side said illegal immigrants in the same field/job?

The answer is no.

Their paperwork is legal but the individual was not. Did I care? NO.

When it first came up, I was pretty wary of executive overreach and expansion of powers, but the more I learn about this, the less I think that is the case. I suppose I should have known better than to give even that much credence to the Republican tantrum, but it's not an area I think Obama is on solid ground (see: drones). Anyway, researching it more for myself, it seems pretty well-based in law and hardly a sweeping gesture of contempt towards the Constitution. Will grab some citations and quotes later if I have time to elaborate.

None of you liberals have explained how you determine if an illegal immigrant has really been here for five years or five months.

A specific one? Or in general?

In general you just measure the rings on their trunk, just like trees. Specific breeds will require more testing and possible carbon dating as well as knowledge of their flora. For instance, the Carnegiea gigantea does not have any specific rings but the thorns become significantly tougher over longer periods, so you can usually tell visually how long that illegal immigrant has been there. The Cephalocereus senilis is much harder to determine, as it matures easily and has often spread and grown domestically, making it very difficult to determine even by appearance whether it is illegally immigrated to the US soil or not.

In all seriousness, the same way that you do with determining residency. You have bills, you have jobs, you have payments, you have bank accounts, you have witnesses. You say illegal immigrants like these people are living in hovels somewhere and take everything in cash, and have no contact with anyone around them. How would you prove that you've lived wherever you're living for 5 years?

Benghazi. If at first you don't succeed, keep on failing.

http://www.vox.com/2014/11/21/7265187/house-benghazi-report

The seventh investigation finds that,

"the CIA ensured sufficient security for CIA facilities … and, without a requirement to do so, ably and bravely assisted the State Department on the night of the attacks … Appropriate US personnel made reasonable tactical decisions that night, and the Committee found no evidence that there was either a stand down order or a denial of available air support."

Benghazi. If at first you don't succeed, keep on failing.

http://www.vox.com/2014/11/21/7265187/house-benghazi-report

The seventh investigation finds that,

"the CIA ensured sufficient security for CIA facilities … and, without a requirement to do so, ably and bravely assisted the State Department on the night of the attacks … Appropriate US personnel made reasonable tactical decisions that night, and the Committee found no evidence that there was either a stand down order or a denial of available air support."

What does it matter anyway, right?

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/ecc3a300383445d5a90dd6ca764c9e15/house-intel-panel-debunks-many-benghazi-theories

How many of these are they going to end up doing??

Debunking a series of persistent allegations hinting at dark conspiracies, the investigation of the politically charged incident determined that there was no intelligence failure, no delay in sending a CIA rescue team, no missed opportunity for a military rescue, and no evidence the CIA was covertly shipping arms from Libya to Syria.

The House Intelligence Committee report was released with little fanfare on the Friday before Thanksgiving week. Many of its findings echo those of six previous investigations by various congressional committees and a State Department panel. The eighth Benghazi investigation is being carried out by a House Select Committee appointed in May.

What a waste of time and manpower in desperate pursuit of something they can use to smear.

Yeah, it's odd. I think people have this image of illegal immigrants living illegally in illegal houses and squatting, getting paid only in cash, driving unregistered and unlicensed cars, having no bank, no savings, no possessions.

That's really not the case. You can get a driver's license without being a US citizen and having legal presence, at least in some states. You can certainly get bank accounts without being a US citizen or being in the US legally. You can have residence, mail, go to school, have your kids go to school, go to church, have a credit rating, buy a house - all without being legally a resident in the US.

A specific one? Or in general?

In general you just measure the rings on their trunk, just like trees. Specific breeds will require more testing and possible carbon dating as well as knowledge of their flora. For instance, the Carnegiea gigantea does not have any specific rings but the thorns become significantly tougher over longer periods, so you can usually tell visually how long that illegal immigrant has been there. The Cephalocereus senilis is much harder to determine, as it matures easily and has often spread and grown domestically, making it very difficult to determine even by appearance whether it is illegally immigrated to the US soil or not.

In all seriousness, the same way that you do with determining residency. You have bills, you have jobs, you have payments, you have bank accounts, you have witnesses. You say illegal immigrants like these people are living in hovels somewhere and take everything in cash, and have no contact with anyone around them. How would you prove that you've lived wherever you're living for 5 years?

Obama told them now they could come out of the shadows so the must be a little reclusive right?

So a minor adjustment of the date on a lease or bill and they're golden right?

After all if they get deported, they can't pay their rent or their car payment. It would benefit the lendor to keep them here fraudulently.

When it first came up, I was pretty wary of executive overreach and expansion of powers, but the more I learn about this, the less I think that is the case. I suppose I should have known better than to give even that much credence to the Republican tantrum, but it's not an area I think Obama is on solid ground (see: drones). Anyway, researching it more for myself, it seems pretty well-based in law and hardly a sweeping gesture of contempt towards the Constitution. Will grab some citations and quotes later if I have time to elaborate.

Check out Justice Jackson's concurring opinion in Youngstown Sheet & Tube Co. v. Sawyer. It describes the SCOTUS framework for analysis in Executive Power cases in great detail.

Archived