What Would Cause You To Stop Reading The Series?

Caesar Targaryen

When the sun rises in the west and sets in the east. When the seas go dry and mountains blow in the wind like leaves. When my womb quickens, and I bear a living child. Then my desire to read those books will end, and not before.

When the sun rises in the west and sets in the east. When the seas go dry and mountains blow in the wind like leaves. When my womb quickens, and I bear a living child. Then my desire to read those books will end, and not before.

Good thing you're not Daenerys and interpret things as metaphors, huh.

I like how GRRM writes freely, without being worried about offending people. His characters engage in incest, rape, flaying, torture, etc

If GRRM decides to change his writing style and starts self-censoring himself to appease the politically correct people, that's the ONLY time where I will stop reading.

Good thing you're not Daenerys and interpret things as metaphors, huh.

In this scenario, the grass is dead.Yet here I am.

I never new grass could bear children.

Well if my knowledge of biology is correct, there's no way I could lose interest. :)

I'm pretty much all in at this point. I'll be disappointed if GRRM did allow the show portrayal of certain characters - such as Tyrion - to creep into the books, but I've invested too much time at this point.

There are things I really don't want to happen in the books - Tyrion riding a dragon or being a secret Targaryen bastard, for example - but even then I can't see me giving up on the series.

if it's revealed that the others are "the bad guys", and we end up with a battle between the "good guys riding badass dragons!" and "evil ice zombies!" I'll probably groan and lose interest, but... I doubt there's really anything that could physically stop me from reading anything mildly related to asoiaf at this point.

• 1 month later...

I think if Jon is truly dead I will be so upset, I'll keep reading but I'll be so disappointed that he won't be there anymore. I don't think he is dead, but still.

I think I would seriously consider stopping reading if somehow the Ironborn became a huge part, like Euron was on the iron throne or something. Basically if they just became a huge part and there were loads of chapters about them and everyone was talking about them, I just don't think I could do it.

Hypothetically speaking, what potential event would cause you to stop reading the series?

For me, it would be:

- Dany has sex with one of her dragons. I only say this because before I finished the series up to ADWD, my friend told me that one of his co-workers said that she dies that way in the book. Turns out, it was only a jape.

- Ser Barristan turns traitor. In my opinion, he possesses every quality a true knight should have: loyalty, honor, courage, and more, and is one of the few truly good characters in the series as well as one of my favorites. So to see him betray Dany for whatever reason would break my heart (let's hope GRRM isn't getting any ideas from this :P).

That's all I can think of ATM.

Thank you my lord for believing so strongly in me. I am doing my very best to live and serve according to my vows

Honestly nothing. That's not to say that nothing could happen that would cause the books to be terrible, but I've been reading too long to not find out how it ends, even if it ends in disaster.

:agree:

:agree:

Archived