What Would Cause You To Stop Reading The Series?

Caesar Targaryen

If Martin invents yet another time-wasting foot-dragging distraction like the War of the Iron Islands Succession, or the Sand Snakes, or Quentyn, I will throw that book against the wall. NOT "the" Wall, just any wall. (At least he has given up making Dany try her hands at Nation Building and failing.)

It will prove that Martin has no clue how to finish things or no intention to.

I don't think those were invented after the publishing of Game of Thrones. What happened to Quentyn was prophesized by Mirri in the first book, sun rising in the west and setting in the east. Same with Aegon, there is evidence that he was who Varys supported in Game of Thrones. Martin has been telling the same story all the way through. As far as I can tell, very little is added late aside from things like extra characters simply needed to tell the original story (like Jon Connington, he was almost certainly invented just for Aegon's sake when the time came to tell that part of the story).

Don't be so hard on Martin just because you don't get what he's doing.

As for the book length, I do prophesize there will be 8 books in total. He had to cut the last third off a Dance with Donkeys to make it fit, now he has put that at the beginning of a Windy Winter, so he's going to have to cut the end off a Windy Winter too. The result is going to be an extra book... but that's a good thing! (Unless you're dying of cancer or something)

I don't think those were invented after the publishing of Game of Thrones. What happened to Quentyn was prophesized by Mirri in the first book, sun rising in the west and setting in the east. Same with Aegon, there is evidence that he was who Varys supported in Game of Thrones. Martin has been telling the same story all the way through. As far as I can tell, very little is added late aside from things like extra characters simply needed to tell the original story (like Jon Connington, he was almost certainly invented just for Aegon's sake when the time came to tell that part of the story).

As for the book length, I do prophesize there will be 8 books in total. He had to cut the last third off a Dance with Donkeys to make it fit, now he has put that at the beginning of a Windy Winter, so he's going to have to cut the end off a Windy Winter too. The result is going to be an extra book... but that's a good thing! (Unless you're dying of cancer or something)

Snicker snicker*

Oh, I most certainly will. I am not as in love with this series as much as you apparently are, and I will always have the show to scratch that itch. At least on the show I won't have to be inside his head.

Buddy, you like the series enough to seek out and join a fan forum. That's a good indicator as to how invested you are as a fan. :P

If G. R. R. Martin turns the Others into Ice Navi, than I'm going to stop reading the books. Then I'll probably place them in a fire, than I'll cry continuously for years. One year of crying for every character in the books, plus one month of crying for every noble house in the book.

Buddy, you like the series enough to seek out and join a fan forum. That's a good indicator as to how invested you are as a fan. :P

Oh, I think the first three books were great (though I believe ACOK is a bit overrated by some), but the last two books were not. I am hoping TWOW is a return to form, but I am skeptical.

And I joined mainly for the TV section though I pop in here now and then.

Those are both pretty big assumptions. the first is an incredibly vague phrase that may not even end up being a prophecy (it could just be poetic way of saying never) and even if it is could be fulfilled hundreds of other ways. And IIRC there's absolutely no evidence that Aegon is alive or that Varys supported a secret Targaryen anywhere until Aegon shows up.

He's taken almost 20 years to write everything he has up to this point, and it was originally planned as a trilogy. Neither of which seems to show him having a clear game plan from the beginning.

He seems like a man good at improv shoved out onto a stage with a vague outline of a story to tell. But somebody slowed down all the clocks in the room as a prank and now the man is just rambling on trying to remember/tie up everything he's already said. Everyone is just too polite to mention that the show should have ended 3 weeks ago.

Jon being dead and out of the story.

Losing Ned I understand (him being alive/in power solves way too many problems), losing Robb and Cat was really difficult, but losing Jon would make me move on to the Stormlight Archive.

Though I would finish watching the show... showMissandei is too pretty >.>

- If Jon or Daenerys ever get sexually or romantically or even politically together for the sake of matrimony. I would rather see hell freeze over then Jon being the husband of Queen Daenerys Stormborn or Daenerys being his wife.

-if Sansa is sexually assaulted by anyone. That girl has gone through some deep shit.

- if the Starks all die out and some other person becomes Lord of Winterfell. I want Rickon - son of The Ned - on Winterfell's high seat or even Bran. I don't want to see Sansa as ruler of Winterfell.

- Tyrion, Jaime, Cersei, Darkstar, Samwell, Ned Dayne being secret Targaryens.

Archived