Cutural differences between Westerosi Houses

I think it's stated somewhere that First Men names tend to be shorter and concise, while Andal names are a bit longer, and I think Martell's are Andals as well, given that they worship the seven. I haven't seen examples of names directly from the Rhoyne, since Nymeria wasn't even stated having a last name, nor Yandry or Ysilla. But to be honest, I haven't seen any huge difference phonetically of last names between noble born families.

And just to add, I don't think there are any Westerosi houses with Rhoynish names (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong). The only thing I can think of is how the Martells are technically Nymeros Martell.

But with Andal and FM, WiB and BD basically got it.

I've always got the impression that the Rhoynar married into Dorne and didn't bring any names with them. Their impact wasn't on names it was on the culture, plus if they married into pre-existing families it made it easier to swallow for the Dornish when it was all over. The main houses lived on so there was less change in the main governance of Dorne they just all now pledged to one main houses instead of a big houses per area.

It's also possible the Rhoynar didn't have surnames and you were affiliated to the city like Nymeria of Ny Sar and that why she passed on the Nymeros. Maybe they were just David of Ib Dib, and Amy of Umpa Lumpa etc.

Also, Andals use a lot more double letters. Tully, Mooton and Mudd are some of the only ones (besides "wood" houses) and it's Mudd with double D's because who wants Mud as a last name? Same with Nutt. But Andals we have Kyndall, Martell, Uller, Tyrell, Arryn, Mallister etc. there are less Andals then I thought, but nevertheless.

You'll also notice less common letters, Vance, Vypern, Drox, Brax. V and X.

Also, Andals use a lot more double letters. Tully, Mooton and Mudd are some of the only ones (besides "wood" houses) and it's Mudd with double D's because who wants Mud as a last name? Same with Nutt. But Andals we have Kyndall, Martell, Uller, Tyrell, Arryn, Mallister etc. there are less Andals then I thought, but nevertheless.

You'll also notice less common letters, Vance, Vypern, Drox, Brax. V and X.

By the Seven....how did I not notice this?

Archived