Long Price Quartet or Acts of Caine

Michael Seswatha Jordan

The other issue with The long Price is the ageing of characters. TV is often reluctant to change cast -I can understand as it's jarring regardless of whether they a) get an older actor or b) try and make the actor look younger. They'd have to go for an actor that can play 20s and then age up to 50s (I can't recall how many decades are covered 30-40). Besides that, I think it could work quite well in terms of story each book would easily work as a season of 10-12 episodes. An argument could be made for 4 films - but I don't see anyone wanting to make a film of the books, sadly.

The other issue with The long Price is the ageing of characters. TV is often reluctant to change cast -I can understand as it's jarring regardless of whether they a) get an older actor or B) try and make the actor look younger. They'd have to go for an actor that can play 20s and then age up to 50s (I can't recall how many decades are covered 30-40). Besides that, I think it could work quite well in terms of story each book would easily work as a season of 10-12 episodes. An argument could be made for 4 films - but I don't see anyone wanting to make a film of the books, sadly.

I forgot about that, but you're right the ageing would be another potential problem. The books individually are fairly short so I think they could do a film each, but I agree it's not likely to happen.

The other biggest question about an adaptation would be how they would show the poses... although most likely they'd cut that bit out.

The other biggest question about an adaptation would be how they would show the poses... although most likely they'd cut that bit out.

If it were a TV show I think the poses would be the thing they'd keep in. There's probably a queue of linguists wanting to play with gesture based language. It'd be a pain for the actors - so they'd probably minimalise it by restricting it to royal courts or to a particular race. The trick would be using it in context so that viewers can pick it up without being told what it is. There's only so many times a character can wave away a gesture by saying "don't go telling me you're sorry" after they make that gesture though.

Archived