Westeros Battle Tournament 7

Ded As Ned

Judges: Leo, Dobro, Spoon

Players: Nog, Tyshrek, BBE, Jonathan, Cap'n, Mauldina

So we need just 2 more players. I haven't double-checked that all players have sent their kingdom preferences, so if you haven't sent it to me yet, please do so asap. I have 3 battlefields ready, I'll have the 4th ready to go shortly as I decided to tweak a few things.

As soon as we have slots filled I'll run the draft and post the matchups.

ETA: All battlefields for round 1 are ready. So we're good to go once we find 2 more players. These will each present some new twists and challenges.

ETA2: I have kingdom preferences from everyone except House Mauldania, please send those asap.

Nope, I think I missed him in the messages... is that his handle? "Jon Doe"? I'll try messaging them, I'd like to get rolling while I have plenty of time over the weekend.

ETA: Tried messaging him, but the forum said he is unable to receive messages. Maybe not enough posts?

ETA2: Looking through my sent messages, I actually did message him. At least a "John Doe". I just spammed all the other regulars I haven't heard back from one more time.

DRAFT (KINGDOM SELECTION):

RANDOM NUMBER GENERATED: 703

Draft Order. Player (Number Selected) - Kingdom

1. BBE (666) - Dorne

2. House Mauldania (444) - The Vale

3. Capt Captain (360) - Crownlands

4. Nog (341) - The North

5. Lord Syv (222) - Stormlands

6. Stannis Eats No Peaches (221) - The Reach

7. JonathanTheBold (3) - The Westerlands

8. Tyshrek Lannister (2) - The Riverlands

I will post the Round 1 Matchups shortly.

Quarterfinal #1: The Stormlands (Lord Syv) vs. The North (Nog)

Setting: The Three Knolls

Battlefield Overview Image Link: http://postimg.org/image/up5hm7esd/

The Stormlands and the North find themselves marching on one another in a rural area of the Reach...

Located somewhere to the east of Silverhall, stand The Three Knolls. The center of the field is dominated by a large, forested knoll, 1km in diameter (dark green central) that rises nearly 100m from the valley floor, with it's peak at the center. At the peak the trees were cleared and a circular wall stands (gray), about 50m in diameter and chest high, where a clear view of the surrounding valley is presented. To the east and west of the central knoll stand two others, also 100m tall at their peaks and forested (dark green east and west of the central knoll), but only about a half kilometer in diameter, thus having steeper slopes compared to the central knoll. These are completely covered in forest, however below each of them runs abandoned silver mines, with a main passage that runs north to south, with openings just outside the neutral zone on each side (small black circles). The passages are wide enough for 5 men abreast with torches, but without light some men could easily become lost in the side mining passages that are dead ends. Two small streams flow southward from the north (blue), one between the central and western knoll, the other between the central and eastern knoll. The streams are shallow but very muddy, about knee deep in the center with gentle banks. Easily crossed by horse, while foot soldiers would be slowed down a bit in the crossing. The remainder of the field is flat, grassy, valley floor (light green), cleared of timber long ago. Note: visibility from one side of the battlefield to the other is obstructed in some areas by the knolls. The thin red lines indicate the center of the field and the neutral zone.

Recent weather has been the occasional winter rain (thus the muddy streams), but the majority of the field is dry to damp. It is a fair day with sunshine and no clouds, but a very gusty wind is blowing from west to east.

The Stormlands approach from the north, and The North, ironically, approaches from the south.

Quarterfinal #2: The Crownlands (Capt Captain) vs. The Westerlands (JonathanTheBold)

Setting: Desert Arches

Battlefield Overview Image Link: http://postimg.org/image/eabk9mwt9/

The commanders of the Crownlands and Westarlands wonder how on earth their orders led them to battle in Dornish desert, but yet here they are.

Three enormous natural stone arches (yellow), each lying east to west, dominate this desert battlefield in central Dorne. The arches rise about 50m at their peak in the center from the valley floor (light brown), and are 150m wide. The arches lie in an east-west orientation, are smooth stone, and the valley floor passes beneath them from north to south. They are accessible from the east and west, with the central arch lying centered within the neutral zone, with the northern and southern arches lying outside of the neutral zone, respectively. The valley floor (light brown) is hardened earth, flanked to the east and west by sand dunes (dark brown), that rise about 50m at their central peak and are very difficult to traverse, consisting of loose sand. The valley floor also passes underneath the three arches, while rising gently from the center of the field to the entrances to the arches to the east and west. In the northeast/northwest, just south of the field border, (and likewise in the south), rise sheer 200m tall rock cliffs (black) which are inaccessible to all but the most skilled and equipped climbers. There is a strong, steady wind blowing from west to east, limiting visibility near the western dune due to clouds of dust and sand, and likely to bother anyone in the path of the blowing sand near the western dune. The thin red lines indicate the center of the field and the neutral zone.

The Crownlands approach from the north, and The Westerlands approach from the south.

Quarterfinal #3: The Reach (Stannis Eats No Peaches) vs. Dorne (Bright Blue Eyes)

Setting: Frozen Shore

Battlefield Overview Image Link: http://postimg.org/image/hig1moj31/

Much like the other battles in southern Westeros, The armies of the Reach and the Dornish marvel at the tides of fate that brought them to battle in the frozen north, during Winder no less!

Located on a remote shore southeast of the Dreadfort, a lonely, 75m wide, river flows from west to east and meets a shallow inlet to the sea. During the warmer seasons, this is prime fishing ground for the few locals that reside in the region. Presently, during the harsh northern winter, both the river and sea are frozen over. The river (dark blue) flows from west to east, and while frozen at the surface, is not frozen solid. The ice over the river will easily support troops on foot, but horse with their weight carried only on narrow hooves would meet certain death trying to cross (let's not debate the physics of this, I kept it simple). The sea (light blue) on the other hand, is very shallow here and frozen solid, easily able to support any weight or troop types. There are small abandoned fishing settlements on both banks of the river at the center of the field (brown), each consisting of about a dozen cabins and fishing boats that are used by the fishermen during warmer times. The northern and southern boundaries of the field are pine forest (dark green), both extending roughly 300m towards the lowest elevation at the river. In between the forest and river, is open grassland (light green), with the ground hard and frozen. The river forms the lowest elevation on the field, as the terrain slopes uphill north and soutwhward away from the river.

A few inches of show has fallen and covers the battlefield; and more is steadily falling, somewhat limiting long-range visibility. A steady breeze blows in from the sea moving east to west.. The thin red lines indicate the center of the field and the neutral zone.

The Reach approach from the north, and Dorne approaches from the south.

(Quick ETA to fix the hyperlink)

Quarterfinal #4: The Riverlands (Tyshrek Lannister) vs. The Vale (House Mauldania)

Setting: River Fortress

Battlefield Overview Image Link: http://postimg.org/image/midhumopp/

Closeup Image Link of the central Battlefield: http://postimg.org/image/69x9l5fvh/

The Riverlands find themselves defending their local turf, facing the intruders from the Vale.

(I realize this got lengthy as I wrote it, so you can skip the expositon and go to the "terrain summary" below if you only want the field setup).

Located in the upper reaches of the Riverlands, the Blue Fork of the Trident flows from west to east along the center of the field. At the center, the river forks evenly around a central uprising of land that forms an island before meeting again to continue eastward. The river flows deep and swift across the field with sheer banks, except for one wide, shallow ford about halfway between the island and the western border. Several generations back, the road running north-south in this area crossed the ford, and a Frey bastard thought to capitalize on his Family's ideal income and instituted a toll to cross. He built two semi-circular stone walls just north and south of the neutral zone, about chest high and 250m in diameter, opening towards the river, in which to station troops to intimidate travelers into paying his toll. With income from this toll, he later began constructing a fortress on the island, seeming to be a perfect locale. With outer walls standing about 20m tall and 3m thick, and drawbridges on the northern and southern banks about 5m wide, the Frey bastard thought to make his fortune and continue building a castle. The road eventually came to travel north/south directly through the island fort. Travelers did not take kindly to the arrangement, as the Bastard would often take his share of goods and help himself to the daughters of many a traveler, in addition to the toll. Before long, local "bandits" built their own bridge in the dense forest (Dark green) that lies on the eastern 1km of the field. Sturdy and able for two carts to cross side-by-side, travelers could easily bypass the toll, which the "bandits" allowed free use of. The Frey Bastard came to often skirmish with the "bandits", and finally Lord Tully sent a force to dispose of him, leaving the field abandoned in it's current state. The stone semi-circles still stand north and south of the ford, along with the island fortress and drawbridges. The interior of the fortress is flat and grassy, about 500m in diameter, with two dozen ladders spaced evenly around the circular wall. The walkway along the top of the fortress wall is lined with smaller walls to the outside and inside, about chest high, with the walkway in between. The drawbridges were permanently sabotaged by a Tully lord, and are stuck in their open position, unable to be raised. The entire field is generally flat grassland (light green), with the eastern 1km in dense forest (dark green), with the bridge in the center of the forest crossing the river. The road still travels north/south directly through the abandoned fortress, as it provides some protection for travelers seeking shelter for an evening, and the walls provide a good view of surrounding terrain.

Terrain summary: A deep, swift river (blue) flows along the center of the field from west to east, and only slows/shallows at a ford about 1km east of the western border. The ford is about 250m wide, calf deep with a pebbly bed, and easily crossable. Going eastward, beyond the ford the river becomes again swift and deep, forking around a circular island at the center of the field. The island is ringed with a wall, 20m tall and 3m thick, with open drawbridges on the north and south (that cannot be raised). The top of the wall is a walkway, with chest-high walls along the outer and inner edges. The center of the fortress is flat grass, with two dozen ladders spaced evenly around the inner circumference of the wall. The eastern 1km of the field is dense forest (dark green), with a bridge crossing the river about one-half kilometer west of the eastern border. The bridge is wide enough for two carts to cross, sturdy, and well-maintained. The remainder of the field (light green) is open flat grassland. The road (brown) runs north-south directly through the drawbridges and central fortress. The thin red lines indicate the center of the field and the neutral zone

There has been a lot of recent rain recently, but presently only a cloudy sky and wet earth. The river runs swift and deep except at the ford. No significant wind to speak of.

The Riverlands approach from the north, and The Vale approaches from the south.

Interesting setup. Cheers to a nice and unfair fight.

Couple questions:

How steep are the slopes?

How much is "a few inches of snow" and is there ice underneath?

How far is the view range?

The slope upward from the river is gentle, rising something like 30m from riverbed to field border

A few inches of snow = 4 inches. :) No ice underneath, except over the river and sea of course.

Nailing Me Down on A View Range: Less than 1km you could easily identify units, 1-2km you could see units but only identify if they are foot or horse, 2km+ you'd see some shadows moving about but unable to identify

Archived