Death by Childbirth: Predictions for a new generation

Snark_Tamer

So several of the adult (or near adult) characters have lost their mothers in childbirth: Dany, Tyrion, Catelyn, Jon (probably)...

And I've been thinking a lot about War of the Roses and how frequent this sort of death WAS at that time. Part of the "why" also applies in the World of Ice and Fire, particularly among royals because they married their daughters off as soon as they'd flowered.

What came to me is Cersei's prophecy and that ALL her children will wear crowns and die before her.

What I am THINKING is that Varys will want his Blackfyre pretender to be successful, and how better than to marry him to the Princess Myrcella. Cersei would agree because of course her two SONS will already be dead and it is a way for her to continue to assert influence. Rather than murder, however, I am thinking Myrcella will die trying to give King fAegon an heir (at which point Varys and Littlefingers schemes may realign for a Sansa/fAegon union)

Another potential childbirth death however, COULD be Margaery (not necessarily accidental)

It just seems so likely that with as common as it was with the mothers, it needs to also appear in the daughters...

That's because difficult pregnancies and birthing tend to run in families.

I don't think Aegon can marry Myrcella even if he wanted to. Political reasons are absolutely against it. I also think Myrcella will die before she's flowered, or shortly after. I don't think she'll have any children, or be married.

If Dany dies it will be in childbirth. When she bears a living child, she'll be reunited with Drogo. Plus we know her mother had a horrible time with pregnancies.

That's because difficult pregnancies and birthing tend to run in families.

I don't think Aegon can marry Myrcella even if he wanted to. Political reasons are absolutely against it. I also think Myrcella will die before she's flowered, or shortly after. I don't think she'll have any children, or be married.

If Dany dies it will be in childbirth. When she bears a living child, she'll be reunited with Drogo. Plus we know her mother had a horrible time with pregnancies.

This is very true. Remember that the reason we missed out on the cray cray original idea was that GRRM couldn't write 1 book=6 years, so I doubt that the next two books will take us up to Myrcella's flowering time.

This.

I wonder why so many Dany fans desire her to go down fighting the Others if she is to die, which is something masculine, although one of her most prized aspect for them is her motherhood. Is dying to destroy more valuable than dying to bring life to the world?

I wonder why so many Dany fans desire her to go down fighting the Others if she is to die, which is something masculine, although one of her most prized aspect for them is her motherhood. Is dying to destroy more valuable than dying to bring life to the world?

There is more than one reason to not like Dany dying in childbirth. I've said elsewhere that I don't like her dying in childbirth because if she's going to have a child I'd want her to actually be able to raise, interact with, and love it.

Archived