Ghost and Nymeria/Jon and Arya speculation

Cymorococh

I agree that Jon and Daenaerys are much more likely.

Someone above pointed out that the two POV characters at the Wall right now are Jon and Melisandre. My beloved spouse believes that Melisandre will give Jon the kiss of life, essentially, and bring him back by whatever magical power passes for that of the Lord of Light. The implication is stronger in the TV series, when Melisandre runs into the Brotherhood without Banners; but it seems a likely theory to me.

Jon is not a Targ, because he has not one physical or emotional traits a Targaryen has.

Targ is a surname, and nothing more. Targs went mad because of inbreeding, not the name.

He is half Stark, and half Targ. Since children received their father's surname, he technically would be Jon Targaryen.

Love Ayra as a character, but the idea of her losing her Stark identity for some faceless BS does not settle well with me. If it happens, it happens. But I find that to be a repulsive path for Martin to send Ayra down.

I agree completely with this. Just the thought of it taints the Arya chapters for me. Fingers crossed.

There's no way that Jon Snow just becomes Ghost and that's that. That would be the same as death. You can't have POV chapters from a wolf.

That's not exactly so, we actually had one already with Varamyr on the prologue of aDwD.

That was his last thought as a man.

True death came suddenly; he felt a shock of cold, as if he had been plunged into the icy waters of a frozen lake. Then he found himself rushing over moonlit snows with his packmates close behind him. Half the world was dark. One Eye, he knew. He bayed, and Sly and Stalker gave echo.

I do agree that it would be a dramatic plot turn. If GRRM is up for shocking us and removing the rug from under our feet that would definitely do it.

*prays that it happens otherwise*

i don't think jon will be reborn or wake up / be in a human body until the second half of the book. I expect Jon and danny will have 1-2 meaningful chapters that just set up the final book. GRRM will use this book to converge the smaller story lines.

Jon is not a Targ, because he has not one physical or emotional traits a Targaryen has.

He dreams of the future, a classic Targaryen trait. From his dream in ADWD:

Burning shafts hissed upward, trailing tongues of fire. Scarecrow brothers tumbled down, black cloaks ablaze. “Snow,” an eagle cried, as foemen scuttled up the ice like spiders. Jon was armored in black ice, but his blade burned red in his fist. As the dead men reached the top of the Wall he sent them down to die again. He slew a greybeard and a beardless boy, a giant, a gaunt man with filed teeth, a girl with thick red hair. Too late he recognized Ygritte. She was gone as quick as she’d appeared.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree that Jon and Daenaerys are much more likely.

Someone above pointed out that the two POV characters at the Wall right now are Jon and Melisandre. My beloved spouse believes that Melisandre will give Jon the kiss of life, essentially, and bring him back by whatever magical power passes for that of the Lord of Light. The implication is stronger in the TV series, when Melisandre runs into the Brotherhood without Banners; but it seems a likely theory to me.

Run this by your "beloved spouse" :).... I do not believe that it will be Melisandre that gives Jon the kiss of life. What if it was Cat. She is the most capable of doing it. What if, before she had the chance to kill Jamie or Brienne, if Howland Reed showed up and told her who Jon really was. She would feel obligated to go and protect him, to honor Ned's sacrifice to protect him all of those years ago. She would feel shame for how she treated him all of those years and would want him to avenge his "cousins" and to sit the Iron throne. A Targaryen and a Stark combined. "A Song of ice and fire".

There's no way that Jon Snow just becomes Ghost and that's that. That would be the same as death. You can't have POV chapters from a wolf. It kills the entire story at the Wall if Jon is gone. All the other major deaths in GoT served a purpose and furthered the over all storyline. Killing Jon (at least killing him now) doesn't serve any.

Jon Snow will be reborn one way or another as he was.

Agreed but not the way he was. He'll be changed, probably allot, and it's these changes that'll dictate his role in the rest of the story. Think LS & Beric. Were they same ol' same ol' post resurrection?

I expect Jon to come back more wolf-ish to be honest. Look at this dialogue:

He was walking beneath the shell of the Lord Commander's Tower, past the spot where Ygritte had died in his arms, when Ghost appeared beside him, his warm breath steaming in the cold. In the moonlight, his red eyes glowed like pools of fire. The taste of hot blood filled Jon's mouth, and he knew that Ghost had killed that night. No, he thought. I am a man, not a wolf. He rubbed his mouth with the back of a gloved hand and spat.

"You think so?" She knelt and scratched Ghost behind his ear. "Your Wall is a queer place, but there is power here, if you will use it. Power in you, and in this beast. You resist it, and that is your mistake. Embrace it. Use it."

I am not a wolf, he thought. "And how would I do that?"

Compare that to:

Arya:

As the swish of oars faded, she could almost hear the beating of her heart. Suddenly she was somewhere else . . . back in Harrenhal with Gendry, maybe, or with the Hound in the woods along the Trident. Salty is a stupid child, she told herself. I am a wolf, and will not be afraid. She patted Needle's hilt for luck and plunged into the shadows, taking the steps two at a time so no one could ever say she'd been afraid.

Hot Pie stared at her with big eyes. "We thought you left us." He had his shortsword in hand, the one Yoren had taken off the gold cloak. "I was scared you was a wolf."

She was no little girl in the dream; she was a wolf, huge and powerful, and when she emerged from beneath the trees in front of them and bared her teeth in a low rumbling growl, she could smell the rank stench of fear from horse and man alike.

She had been better off as Squab. No one would take Squab captive, or Nan, or Weasel, or Arry the orphan boy. I was a wolf, she thought, but now I'm just some stupid little lady again.

Yes, Arya thought. Yes, it's you who ought to run, you and Lord Tywin and the Mountain and Ser Addam and Ser Amory and stupid Ser Lyonel whoever he is, all of you better run or my brother will kill you, he's a Stark, he's more wolf than man, and so am I.

• 2 months later...

If Jon Snow suffers grave wounds, he is blessed to have a greenseeing brother who loves him dearly. In the same way Bloodraven buffered Bran’s fall after Jaime pushes him from the window of the First Keep, Bran will use his powers to protect Jon’s body from mortal wounds.

Below is a quote that speaks to Bloodraven’s divine intervention.

When Bran and company leave their hiding place in Winterfell crypts long after Ramsay sets Winterfell aflame, they stand in the shadow of the First Keep, or “what remained of it. One whole side of the building had torn loose and fallen away. Stone and shattered gargoyles lay strewn across the yard. They fell just where I did, Bran thought when he saw them. Some of the gargoyles had broken into so many pieces that it made him wonder how he was alive at all” (966 ACoK).

It is obvious Bran’s fall could and should have been fatal.

I got to admit that when i read "Ghost and Nymeria/Jon and Arya speculation" i assumed that it would be proposed as a theory that somehow Jon and Arya would do it through their direwolves while warging.

Hopefully they're not warging their direwolves while the beasts are doggystylin' it. I might throw up in my mouth a little if I read that.

I think it's a good theory to suppose that Nymeria and Ghost meet up at some point, though.

Archived