Loose end, possible plot hole

YoungGriff89

Yea I don't know why they made her highborn. It opens it up for things like that. Would have just been easier to make her lowborn. Nobody other than Robb wanted the marriage anyway so what does it matter if she was lowborn.

Speaking of little mistakes in the show, did anyone notice when Selyse was talking about the duck Stannis shot to feed her during the siege of storms end. They weren't even married during Roberts rebellion so she wasnt even at storms end at the time. She married him after to keep the Tyrells in line. So yea, bunch of little mistakes like that all over the place

Yea I don't know why they made her highborn. It opens it up for things like that. Would have just been easier to make her lowborn. Nobody other than Robb wanted the marriage anyway so what does it matter if she was lowborn.

Speaking of little mistakes in the show, did anyone notice when Selyse was talking about the duck Stannis shot to feed her during the siege of storms end. They weren't even married during Roberts rebellion so she wasnt even at storms end at the time. She married him after to keep the Tyrells in line. So yea, bunch of little mistakes like that all over the place

Wasn't it a seagull? IIRC, she was saying how awful it tasted.

This type of thing isn't a mistake though. In the show they very well could have gotten married before RR.

This type of thing isn't a mistake though. In the show they very well could have gotten married before RR.

Why would he marry her if not to be a threat to the Tyrell claim of high garden? She's crazy, ugly, and from a family in a different kingdom. He obviously doesn't like her so the only way he would marry her is if Robert told him to and the only reason he would tell him to is to threaten the Tyrells after the rebellion

Why would he marry her if not to be a threat to the Tyrell claim of high garden? She's crazy, ugly, and from a family in a different kingdom. He obviously doesn't like her so the only way he would marry her is if Robert told him to and the only reason he would tell him to is to threaten the Tyrells after the rebellion

We don't know why Stannis married her in the show. That has not been explained to us, so it is not an error.

In the show, Stannis tells Davos that his wife suffered greatly due to hunger during the siege of Storm's End. So yes, in the show Stannis and Selyse were already married during Robert's Rebellion, and Stannis married before Robert. That certainly seems to be hard to explain.

In season 2 Tyrion says he plans to marry Myrcela to the Prince of Dorne's youngest son.

Come season 5, Trystane is an only child. Granted, an older sibling might have died between S2 and S5 but it will still annoy me on rewatchs for continuity reasons.

i cannot define it that way because sometimes people are illogically. by that definition catelyn freeing jaime is a plot hole. it doesn't make any logical sense. Half of what cersei does is a plot hole then too

it's a dangling plot line not a plot hole because it can be explained but might never.

Sometimes people are illogical, but there is in turn often a logical explanation for their illogical actions. Catelyn had good reasons for freeing Jaime. Cersei is pretty much certifiably insane at this point and so her acting illogically is in fact a logical thing to expect.

In season 2 Tyrion says he plans to marry Myrcela to the Prince of Dorne's youngest son.

Come season 5, Trystane is an only child. Granted, an older sibling might have died between S2 and S5 but it will still annoy me on rewatchs for continuity reasons.

I took issue with that exchange too but Tyrion probably didn't concern himself too much with knowing how many kids Doran Martell had since the Martells had very little involvement with the other six kingdoms. He could have had Doran's children mixed up with another Dornish house. I think that scene went to show even back then D & D had no idea how much of the Dornish plot would even make it into the show.

What are they going to do? Invade Westeros? Send a strongly worded letter?

Shockingly enough, they don't and can't show everything that happens in the world. Maybe they hired an assassin but he drowned at sea. Maybe they all killed themselves when they heard the news. Maybe they just don't care that much. Maybe they lost all their money because they all became raging alcoholics after they heard the news. Maybe Dracula ate them all. Why the hell does it matter?

Not explaining every detail =/= to a plothole. They don't show the characters eating every day. Plothole! They don't show every Small Council meeting. Plothole! They don't show how Catelyn counting the amount of money she takes with her when she leaves WF. Plothole!

Actually, Tyrion said he was planning to marry Myrcella to House Martell's youngest son. Tyrstane fits that criteria.

Some people would consider Robb and Talisa having a wedding in the sight of the Seven a plot hole since he's a northman and she's from another continent where there hasn't been an indication the faith of the seven is a widespread thing.

i thought ned and cat taught them in both religions? i don't think they bring it up in the show

i thought ned and cat taught them in both religions? i don't think they bring it up in the show

I don't personally consider it a plot hole on Robb's part since the Tully's believed in the seven, but Talisa in Volantis? Not so sure about. I know that one thing has been brought up on other threads as an inconsistency, that's the only reason I point to it.

Actually, Tyrion said he was planning to marry Myrcella to House Martell's youngest son. Tyrstane fits that criteria.

One does not say "youngest son" if there is only one. Especially in a society where heritage laws are that important.

One does not say "youngest son" if there is only one. Especially in a society where heritage laws are that important.

Simple explanation: Tyrion screwed up. Since he's (presumably) not infallible, it's completely possible. So not a plot hole, it can be easily explained as a character making an error.

In the show, Stannis tells Davos that his wife suffered greatly due to hunger during the siege of Storm's End. So yes, in the show Stannis and Selyse were already married during Robert's Rebellion, and Stannis married before Robert. That certainly seems to be hard to explain.

Stannis' father wanted to set up an alliance with House Florent for whatever reasons and, since Robert was engaged with Lyanna (but not married because Lyanna was deemed too young), he engaged Stannis and Selyse. Since Selyse was older than Lyanna and Stannis was old enough to marry as well, they've married before RR.

There you go, nothing hard to explain there.

So in season 2 episode 8, Talisa tells Robb the story of when her brother was drowning and a slave saves him. She mentions in the story she's highborn from Volantis. In season 3 we see she corresponds with her family. So when she stops corresponding and her death becomes known to the Volantenes, why would a highborn family not take any action to avenge their slain daughter? Especially when she was married to a king and that would put their family in a westerosi line of succession on top of being Volantene nobility?

Sounded like that scene was more about setting up the fact she was pregnant than any relevance in terms of her family. If they are going to simply forget the Greyjoy Uncles and Dany's Dothraki and perhaps even cities like Yunkai and Astapor I don't think they are going to care about a non-book character they created

That's on top of forgetting Gendry rowing away in the narrow sea and we don't even know if HoU or Quaithe are going to come back into it either

Apparently Shae's background will have something to it in the books...

Plot holes galore really

Stannis' father wanted to set up an alliance with House Florent for whatever reasons and, since Robert was engaged with Lyanna (but not married because Lyanna was deemed too young), he engaged Stannis and Selyse. Since Selyse was older than Lyanna and Stannis was old enough to marry as well, they've married before RR.

There you go, nothing hard to explain there.

While that's a good explanation, I prefer the explanation that Stannis was pressuring Robert to give up his whoring, do his duty, and take a wife to sire an heir until Robert got so fed up he married Stannis to Selyse as both a punishment and a joke.

Archived