The Astronomy Behind the Legends of Planetos

LmL

Ha! While GRRM is laughing at the grey mouses, his ravens are pooping on their silly attempts to figure out Planetos:

Perfect illustration LOL! GRRM is not your bitch and his paradox poops on your attempts to discover the method to his madness!

This is a very enjoyable read and it became one of my favorite theories. Comet (a head with a tail) >>> Moon (a larger sphere, likened to eggs in the series) is also a metaphor for Sperm (a head with a tail) >>> Egg (a larger sphere).

Here are some quotes from The Poison King: The Life and Legend of Mithradates, Rome’s Deadliest Enemy by Adrienne Mayor. I am sure that everybody will find these both familiar and intriguing. <snip>

This is wondrous stuff.

Almost done, thanks for asking Nozlym. I may break it up a bit to get the first part out, but either way something WILL be out tomorrow.

Tomorrow is my birthday, so might as well.

My birthstone? Bloodstone. And that’s the topic. :devil:

I don't remember this being mentioned in relation to the Long Night.

What, you mean this stuff?

The Byzantine historian Procopius recorded of 536, in his report on the wars with the Vandals, "during this year a most dread portent took place. For the sun gave forth its light without brightness... and it seemed exceedingly like the sun in eclipse, for the beams it shed were not clear."[4][5]

The Gaelic Irish Annals[6][7][8] record the following:

"A failure of bread in the year 536 AD"(sic) – the Annals of Ulster

"A failure of bread from the years 536–539 AD"(sic) – the Annals of Inisfallen

Further phenomena reported by a number of independent contemporary sources:

Low temperatures, even snow during the summer (snow reportedly fell in August in China, which caused the harvest there to be delayed)[9]

Crop failures[10]

"A dense, dry fog" in the Middle East, China, and Europe[9]

Drought in Peru, which affected the Moche culture[9][11]

Sounds like the Long Night to me...

The extreme weather events of 535–536 were the most severe and protracted short-term episodes of cooling in the Northern Hemisphere in the last 2,000 years.[1] The event is thought to have been caused by an extensive atmospheric dust veil, possibly resulting from a large volcanic eruption in the tropics,[2] and/or debris from space impacting the Earth.[3] Its effects were widespread, causing unseasonal weather, crop failures, and famines worldwide.[3]

Again that all sounds like the Long Night before it got pumped up a bit with magic.

Yes. I think the Long Night was an unusual winter caused by a dust cloud which might be due to a comet crash and/or volcanic eruption (I already provided that the most active volcano in Planetos is in Marahai, in close neighborhood to Asshai - It still spews lava day and night).

And the plagues, famines and turmoils following those years without summer obviously caused lots of mass migrations. Recall that Medieval Age started with the collapse of the Roman Empire which was mainly due to the results of mass migrations such as depopulation, deurbanization, invasion and so on.

Yeah that's where I thought you were going with this. Subtle sarcasm, I thought I smelled it on that first post with the wiki link.

Part II is ready to drop later today.

I wouldn't want to see this thread locked just yet... There's been plenty of detailed discussion already but who knows, someone with fresh eyes might still be able to contribute later on. :)

I don't really know how that's supposed to work I guess.

From a moderator perspective there is essentially no need to close it. Withought reply's it will fall to he bottom to be left there untouched or maybe used again for some purpose, only when someone would ressurect it simply for the sake of trolling woud they lock it.

Besides that, no need to give modertors unnesecary work. The work they have is usually enough as it is.

Ok sweet, thanks a bunch. I didn’t know if maybe they lock it after like 400 replies or something. Eventually, I may re-release these essays, improved by everyone’s suggestions, as updated versions.

Archived