Confirmed, HBO show will spoil the ending of series

Dragon Seed

I can't say I'm really disappointed at all by this. In the interests of full disclosure, I didn't start reading until a few years back after around season 1, so I haven't had the decades long wait that some of you have had. However, I will say I find the spoiling of the ending by the TV show to be nothing worse then what I've been doing which is watching the show while knowing whats coming (by reading the books). WhatI mean to say is, despite knowing all the big twists (Red Wedding, Ned Stark's death, etc.), I was still excited for the show every single week if only because its great to see different adaptations of the same story. After the show ends, I fully expect to still be excited for the book. While I may know the broad strokes of the ending, there will still be characters cut from the show that will need their tales finished, and who knows what that will bring. On the plus side, I won't need to sit and wait for 5-6 years (with the chance that it won't even be finished) to know the grander end to this story. Just my two cents.

How many scenarios for the ending can there be? All you do is take a look around. Everyone who's ever thought to make a prediction has a go. There's no rule to say you can't or shouldn't. Nothing exists to say you necessarily agree with any. The same goes for disagreeing.

One thing most are sure of is the final line. It won't be.... "And they all lived happily ever after". Even if you add a question mark to that. It'd be crazy if GRRM actually uses those words, or a variant, when he's said it's going to be bittersweet. Does he mean bittersweet, or bitter and sweet? Or, playing on words, it would be a bittersuite.

*** NOTE *** Nothing to do with a long remembered band known in the Sheffield, UK, area. Sean Bean ought to know of them, if you need to ask. Other known Sheffielders should too, like Def Leppard. Not sure about Elizabeth Henstridge.

Bittersuite is more or less as it sounds. This would cover a series of events: bittersweet, bitter or sweet.

The same seems to apply to the show versus the books. Some will feel bitter about being spoiled. Some will feel so-so, because the show and the books took different paths. Some won't give a monkey's either way. How many will simply stick a finger in the air to see which way the winds of winter blow, or two-fingers (or THE finger) in whichever direction they feel they need to?

Even though GRRM has previously stated he won't change the ending, would he now? I would, just to shout 'F-ing gotcha!', maybe more politely as 'So you thought you knew the ending....?' and smile broadly. Nothing is ever set in stone. Fate is what we make of it, not because of IT.....

George once said that planing the series was like planing a long road trip. He knew exactly where the travel would begin and end, and there were some places that he was sure that he wanted to visit. But the rest of the journey, and how much he'd drive every day, and other things were left unplanned.

I think that the analogy is a very good one. He has the final destination in mind from the begining. And he's not going to change it just to give a big "fuck you" to a minority of the fans.

George once said that planing the series was like planing a long road trip. He knew exactly where the travel would begin and end, and there were some places that he was sure that he wanted to visit. But the rest of the journey, and how much he'd drive every day, and other things were left unplanned.

I think that the analogy is a very good one. He has the final destination in mind from the begining. And he's not going to change it just to give a big "fuck you" to a minority of the fans.

And to expand on that to a small degree, it will be the same ending (more or less) that we will see on the show.

Some folks will wish it away, but that is as set in stone as it gets without, you know, actually being set in stone. Lot of wishful thinking in this thread...

Expected and to be honest, at this point, i'm almost thinking it's the only ending we will get.

At least it's something.

@Edit

Btw, i think the journey is more important than the destination itself(although both are crucial), and in that aspect, the former is really different in both mediums, so i'm not worried that much, but i surely i would like to see the ending in the books first.

Archived