Has anyone seen this map?

Ser Pounce FTW

I see what they were going for, but it makes little sense in terms of actual climate. This places a desert in the middle of "The Reach," for instance, and the Vale is in one of the less mountainous areas of the country. And that's not even touching the politics...

Been living in the Haystack Hall area all my life. Which House is that, anyways?

I think hey stack hill is selmy. Maybe I'm wrong though.

It's cool, but not exactly realistic. They did the best they could though. The fact is westeros and north America just don't line up like that. Cool idea though.

I live just north of gulltown. (Southern new hampshire)

I think hey stack hill is selmy. Maybe I'm wrong though.

It's cool, but not exactly realistic. They did the best they could though. The fact is westeros and north America just don't line up like that. Cool idea though.

I live just north of gulltown. (Southern new hampshire)

Selmy is Harvest Hall.

I always thought this was fairly well known, with GRRM saying as much?

Westeros is an amalgam of Great Britian and Western Europe.

Beyond the Wall being the Scotland of old, the Wall itself being a nod to Hadrian's Wall or the Antonine Wall.

The North is the North of England, the Vale is Wales, the Riverlands is the Home Counties and Midlands, Kings Landing is London, the Reach Franne (the wine culture gives this away) and Dorne is Spain.

Over the Narrow Sea, and Braavos is clearly Italy.

Finally I'm not the only one who thinks Westeros is based on the U.S. Few changes though 1 Donre culturally is more similar to Hawaii (originally ruled by Queens and being very culturally secluded from the rest of Westeros) and geographically more similar to Arizona and New Mexico. The Reach is more based on Georgia and the Carolinas because of the focus on agriculture. The Riverlands I'd be willing to consider to be where you said they are but personally I feel like Mississippi and Misouri make more sense. For the iron islands I think they're mostly based on places like Michigan and Pitsburg (Pitsburg Steelers colors are gold and black like House Greyjoy and they have a metal based economy). In addition I think the Stormlands are more based on Washington (Washington is influenced by Norse who originally colonized the area and the Norse seem to be similar to the Storm kings) everything else I pretty much agree with.

I always thought this was fairly well known, with GRRM saying as much?

Westeros is an amalgam of Great Britian and Western Europe.

Beyond the Wall being the Scotland of old, the Wall itself being a nod to Hadrian's Wall or the Antonine Wall.

The North is the North of England, the Vale is Wales, the Riverlands is the Home Counties and Midlands, Kings Landing is London, the Reach Franne (the wine culture gives this away) and Dorne is Spain.

Over the Narrow Sea, and Braavos is clearly Italy.

As a proud northerner that's half wildling that's the way i've always took it. Although i would of said braavos was more Venice than Italy in general.

• 2 weeks later...

You're not but cool that you worked in those boundaries!

I'm curious about why these are the Stormlands? Weather? Other reasons?

Nor'easters. I've lived through plenty of them and the region gets them and hurricanes all the time, and the description of the deep forests and the rocky shores matches the woods of PA/NY and the New England coast respectively to me.

Archived