Has anyone seen this map?

Ser Pounce FTW

I was curious about what regions of the US would correspond to the kingdoms of Westeros and found this. I think it seems rather well thought out however I really question the suggestion for the Vale and particularly for the Eyrie. Anyone care to share their thoughts?

Well, I've certainly seen it now.

I highly question the South and the Midwest.

The South ought to be the Reach. We're the most naturally fertile area of the country. Whereas before modern irrigation, the Great Plains was known as the Great American Desert. Doesn't exactly sound like a natural breadbasket, does it?

That said, the comment on the article that "Detroit is the perfect Harrenhall" was pure gold.

Eh, I could see some comparisons being made, but there's a lot of problems I have.

The Northeast/New England is pretty hilly, but not near mountainous enough to be the Vale. Then they have the Eyrie at NYC which is at sea level. Plus that region isn't necessarily known for heavy fertility, like the actual Vale is.

The South might match the Stormlands in heat, humidity, and storms. But the Stormlands is a land of high cliffs, not flat beaches. And the South is mostly flat plains if I'm correct, where the Stormlands is hilly and forested.

The Riverlands being the eastern Midwest makes sense. The Mississippi, Missouri and Ohio Rivers almost form a Trident of sorts. That seems okay.

What's labeled as the Reach has the most mountanous parts of the US, so that's a bit confusing. I know the Reach is mountainous around Horn Hill and the Marches, but that seems a small section

The Westerlands translates better as California than the entire West coast of the US. Mountains and hills, gold, probably similar climate etc. I wouldn't say Oregon, Washington or especially Nevada or Hawaii matching the geographical description given.

I don't know enough about Mexican geography to compare it with Dorne, or Maritime geography to compare it with the Iron Islands.

The Crownlands being the southern part of the mid-Atlantic kind of makes sense to me. Swampy areas, some plains etc.

The North makes sense as lower Canada, though I'm not an expert. I can imagine a winter in Winterfell being similar to Edmonton/Calgary, but probably not Ottawa.

Don't know enough about the geography of Upper Canada to make comparisons with beyond the wall, but the Alaskan Panhandle certainly doesn't fit.

Overall, eh. I agree with Pod the Rod that the South fits better with the Reach.

Not putting much stock into these. People will see what they want to see - I've already heard theories about Westeros representing Great Britain, USA or Europe as a whole.

Reminds me of the time when one guy was explaining how world of LOTR corresponds with peoples and nations of Balkan.

Eh, I could see some comparisons being made, but there's a lot of problems I have.

The Northeast/New England is pretty hilly, but not near mountainous enough to be the Vale. Then they have the Eyrie at NYC which is at sea level. Plus that region isn't necessarily known for heavy fertility, like the actual Vale is.

I'm from the Northeast (New Jersey...yeah I know lol) and I definitely scratched my head at the Vale comparison. Where I live in NJ is basically where the "mountains" start and even the most mountainous parts of NJ, hell even the mountains up in Vermont/New Hampshire which are the most impressive in the region are nothing compared to like the Pacific Northwest or Colorado...that's more like the Vale imo.

Not putting much stock into these. People will see what they want to see - I've already heard theories about Westeros representing Great Britain, USA or Europe as a whole.

Reminds me of the time when one guy was explaining how world of LOTR corresponds with peoples and nations of Balkan.

Most readers like to insert themselves into a story so it's rather normal to "see" familiar things in the tale. We all know the land mass was based on Great Britain and the regions seem to have been based on Europe however there's no harm wondering how it might relate to other places.

I'm from the Northeast (New Jersey...yeah I know lol) and I definitely scratched my head at the Vale comparison. Where I live in NJ is basically where the "mountains" start and even the most mountainous parts of NJ, hell even the mountains up in Vermont/New Hampshire which are the most impressive in the region are nothing compared to like the Pacific Northwest or Colorado...that's more like the Vale imo.

Of all the suggestions I question - and there are a few - the Vale comparison is the most puzzling. I have no idea what drove that placement where as I can at least understand what drove putting the Stormlands in the region that gets slammed the most by storms and hurricanes.

Yep, I live in Western NY, and it certainly doesn't match anywhere around here. It's almost all farmland from Niagara Falls to Albany. The highest peak in NY is Mt Marcy at 5,000 or so feet, much tinier than I imagine the mountains of the Vale being.

I was curious about what regions of the US would correspond to the kingdoms of Westeros and found this. I think it seems rather well thought out however I really question the suggestion for the Vale and particularly for the Eyrie. Anyone care to share their thoughts?

It's kind of a fun exercise, with obvious forced limitations. As a Canadian, I can't help but point out that the map you just posted of the US is actually a map of North America. :) The creators of this map had to work with geographic differences between the continents of Westeros and North America. The Iron Islands moving from the west coast to Canada's Maritime provinces being an obvious big change. I like how they have adapted The North to Canada in general though. Toronto is the most influential Canadian city so it makes sense for it to represent Winterfell. I think Montreal is a good choice for the Dreadfort and Vancouver for Deepwood Motte as well.

Edit: I originally identified Winterfell as Toronto, but I see now (Thanks to a later post by Fat Mac) that it is Ottawa. Capital of The North = capital of Canada. Well played.

The comparison seems forced.

That's gonna happen with any adaptation to a real world continent.

The South might match the Stormlands in heat, humidity, and storms. But the Stormlands is a land of high cliffs, not flat beaches. And the South is mostly flat plains if I'm correct, where the Stormlands is hilly and forested.

The Riverlands being the eastern Midwest makes sense. The Mississippi, Missouri and Ohio Rivers almost form a Trident of sorts. That seems okay.

What's labeled as the Reach has the most mountanous parts of the US, so that's a bit confusing. I know the Reach is mountainous around Horn Hill and the Marches, but that seems a small section

The Westerlands translates better as California than the entire West coast of the US. Mountains and hills, gold, probably similar climate etc. I wouldn't say Oregon, Washington or especially Nevada or Hawaii matching the geographical description given.

I don't know enough about Mexican geography to compare it with Dorne, or Maritime geography to compare it with the Iron Islands.

The Crownlands being the southern part of the mid-Atlantic kind of makes sense to me. Swampy areas, some plains etc.

The North makes sense as lower Canada, though I'm not an expert. I can imagine a winter in Winterfell being similar to Edmonton/Calgary, but probably not Ottawa.

Don't know enough about the geography of Upper Canada to make comparisons with beyond the wall, but the Alaskan Panhandle certainly doesn't fit.

Overall, eh. I agree with Pod the Rod that the South fits better with the Reach.

The South is mostly flatlands towards the coast. It gets hillier and hillier as you work inland, until you reach the Appalachian Mountains.

Mexico is a bit of an oddball in terms of geography. IIRC, there are 2 mountain ranges, the Sierra Oriental and Sierra Occidental, running north to south, with a central valley that contains Mexico City. Coastal plains on the Gulf, but not so much on the Pacific Ocean.

I wasn't aware that Montreal was such as cruel place where people are flayed. :frown5:

I'm not a fan of Montreal as the Dreadfort. It's an absolutely beautiful city with a great culture. But these things can't fit exactly. Tbh, I don't like a lot of the suggested matches and am curious to hear others thoughts of where might be better. But I do like the idea of Winterfell / Toronto. And the vast North matched to the vast Canadian Provinces is great. I like the general idea of the Stormlands and the Crownlands but I think they need to slide up a bit and the Crownlands should include NJ, NY and CT which moves the Stormlands up to states like the Carolinas, VA and MD and away from the deep southern states of FL and LA.

The comparison seems forced.

I have yet to see one of these where it wasn't.

This is a interesting thread, always wondered whereabouts people from America see Westeros representing. Map won't load on my stupid phone, so I'll check it later. For now, I'll enjoy reading your thoughts.

I don't know if this was done by an American but it was interesting to see someone's suggestions for mapping Westeros outside of Europe.

Archived