why was Ladystoneheart cut out

Black Dragons

I don't buy it. Firstly why would they introduce her so late after her death? Secondly, D&D haven't used the resurrection plot device on anyone but Beric until now, they don't seem big on it and with good reason I say. I see no merits in creating and keeping a creature like LSH. But now it seems, we'd suddenly have The Mountain, LSH and Jon back in one season? Adding to that The Hound returning from the unknown. I can't see how that would work. They might be keeping their one resurrection for Jon so if LSH also returned, it'd feel contrived and cheap. Imo it's either Jon or LSH who comes back, not both.

I was thinking Brienne's whole 'watch for the candle and save Sansa VS. go after stannis and avenge renly' dilemma this season was supposed to be a rather less dramatic stand-in for the whole conflicting vows scenario she faces on her quest, but if it's true LSH is back maybe they will return Brienne back to her original plotline which is way more interesting (though stressful since she's my favorite).

it does seem like they have taken their sweet time bringing her back but I guess the setting and storyline this season would be the most conducive since as mentioned by other posters we are getting the Freys, Septon Meribald, possibly the Hound, and the BWB or an alternative outlaw band this season it seems the Riverlands will be in full focus. The weird thing is that if she does return, with an army at that, you'd think they would have dropped some hints in the last two or three season about odd happenings in the Riverlands but maybe that just proves if she does come back it was a very recent decision.

That's highly doubtful.  Kit has spent weeks, maybe even over a month, in Belfast which would suggest that he is going to have more screentime than just a burning scene or a getting revived scene.  He will probably be revived very early in s6.  I still have my doubts on LSH in the show.  If they were going to have her in S6, why not introduce her in the season finale? It seems like the Riverlands will be a major focal point in S6 so will have not have her reintroduce the area for S6? Makes no sense.

LSH in the season 5 finale would have shifted the attention of viewers and taken away the shock value from Jon Snow's death. I would say that of all the book readers that watch GoT, the biggest disappoint has been no LSH. Also, Kit's time in Belfast suggests that he was there too long for just a funeral scene,yet too short to be featured in the whole season. That's why I think the evidence points to him returning late season, possibly ep's 8 or 9, when the "big" things traditionally happen.

But filming has not finished yet, we know Kit has filmed 3-4 weeks and filming for the season is going until the end of the year so he could still come back to film again later (he's not cut his hair).  Also the director of the first two episodes stated they are almost complete so quite likely Kit is in those episodes given his filming even if it is a funeral scene.

I personally can't think of any better redemptive end game for the LSH character. It's also intriguingly a direction the show may have already set up with that speech Catelyn gave Talisa re: her guilt in wishing him dead.

There is no redemptive end for Lady Stoneheart (either in the books, or if she ever does appear in the show). She is mindless vengeance personified. Characters defined by one personality trait (called a flat character) do not change. If her purpose in returning is to demonstrate how death changes a person, as George has said about his books, then this character is little more than a plot device and a way to reinforce that theme, along with the theme that "vengeance is never as satisfying as you think it's going to be." Which the show/book have already emphasized. Like a million times. The only end that will befall Lady Stoneheart is that she will die. Again. Prediction.

LSH in the season 5 finale would have shifted the attention of viewers and taken away the shock value from Jon Snow's death. I would say that of all the book readers that watch GoT, the biggest disappoint has been no LSH. Also, Kit's time in Belfast suggests that he was there too long for just a funeral scene,yet too short to be featured in the whole season. That's why I think the evidence points to him returning late season, possibly ep's 8 or 9, when the "big" things traditionally happen.

Filming started mid July and Kit has been spotted more often in Belfast than any other actor, he'll be resurrected ep 1.  Plus most NW or northern stuff is filmed in October and November anyway.  

Imagine the backlash from unsullied when they realise that the deaths of Jon snow, catelyn stark and the hound were in fact total lies and now anyone who dies doesn't have to stay dead and any death now becomes meaningless. There would be outrage.

It's like marvel comics. Except in those characters who die are revealed to be clones or someone in disguise or an alternate universe. In ASOIAF instead they are glamoured.

They jumped the Stark on this one, apparently.

Rumor is not true. WoW checked with their many sources - which is why it was never posted on their site.

About that newest LSH-commanding-an-army rumor

Its fake. All our top sources say no.

(Armies? Doesnt that sound just a little too organized for a barely reanimated corpse? Honestly.)

The Stoneheart hype train will always roll on though.

But they have other character/casting confirmations inclided in this link: http://watchersonthewall.com/spoiler-country-game-of-thrones-casting-for-a-rugged-type-character-confirmations-and-an-intriguing-nikolaj-coster-waldau-rumor/#more-43518

Edited to add link and also to say that I'm sorry that the LSH fans keep getting their heartstrings tugged. :(

Filming started mid July and Kit has been spotted more often in Belfast than any other actor, he'll be resurrected ep 1.  Plus most NW or northern stuff is filmed in October and November anyway.  

Conjecture. But I guess we'll find out..

I would tend to agree that as a character there are definitely sound reasons for leaving Cat dead with LSH not being one of the biggest payoffs from the Red Wedding. One big advantage of the removal I would say beyond LSH being a less interesting character that Cat previously is that you can keep Beric Dogtanion alive who I felt Richard Dormer portrayed excellently.

Equally though if she were to be included I think it would make perfect sense to leave the reveal until now. For one thing I think it would feel like much less of a betrayal of the drama of the Red Wedding coming 3 seasons/years latter, for another the simple act of introducing LSH would obviously be dramatic so why not leave it until you actually plan to use her? if you do at all of course.

I think a mechanism for it would be easy to imagine, have the season intro as a flashback, maybe showing Cats body being thrown into the river and then discovered by the Brotherhood with the actual resurrection either show or hinted at. The number of potential resurrections does seem like a problem I'd agree although perhaps Jon and Cat could be linked dramatically? show both but show Jon effected by its positively and Cat negatively.

Imagine the backlash from unsullied when they realise that the deaths of Jon snow, catelyn stark and the hound were in fact total lies and now anyone who dies doesn't have to stay dead and any death now becomes meaningless. There would be outrage.

It's like marvel comics. Except in those characters who die are revealed to be clones or someone in disguise or an alternate universe. In ASOIAF instead they are glamoured.

Well with the Hound it was never certain that he died anyway, so the Unsullied have no cause to complain about that one.

As for Catelyn Stark, first of all it should be clear to them that it's not really Catelyn Stark who's come back. Second of all, resurrection is fine so long as it's difficult to achieve and it's not just anyone who can do it willy nilly. It should be clear that some mysterious force is working through Thoros of Myr that no one really understands, and for resurrection to occur that force has to be present. 

So death isn't really 'rendered meaningless' in this universe, more a case of "well, death can be avoided but how, and at what cost?"  

Well with the Hound it was never certain that he died anyway, so the Unsullied have no cause to complain about that one.

As for Catelyn Stark, first of all it should be clear to them that it's not really Catelyn Stark who's come back. Second of all, resurrection is fine so long as it's difficult to achieve and it's not just anyone who can do it willy nilly. It should be clear that some mysterious force is working through Thoros of Myr that no one really understands, and for resurrection to occur that force has to be present. 

So death isn't really 'rendered meaningless' in this universe, more a case of "well, death can be avoided but how, and at what cost?"  

I'm not sure that's how the general audience will see it, it certainly wasn't how I saw it. There were far too many occurrences in the later books of characters the reader assumed were dead, coming back. It was simply another frustration on top of a lot of others. Mance being another one.

Btw, more book question but was there any reason that the BWB managed to come across Cats body? Or was it just coincidence?

I'm not sure that's how the general audience will see it, it certainly wasn't how I saw it. There were far too many occurrences in the later books of characters the reader assumed were dead, coming back. It was simply another frustration on top of a lot of others. Mance being another one.

Btw, more book question but was there any reason that the BWB managed to come across Cats body? Or was it just coincidence?

Arya warged Nymeria and found Cats body in the river. Dragged it onto shore where the Brotherhood discovered it.

Mance is definitely dead in the show, and I agree that glamours are dumb and I'm glad they left that out. Only other cases I can think of are the Hound (supposedly) and Cat and, again, the Hound was never dead to begin with so I don't think the general audience has any reason to call foul on that one.

Arya warged Nymeria and found Cats body in the river. Dragged it onto shore where the Brotherhood discovered it.

Mance is definitely dead in the show, and I agree that glamours are dumb and I'm glad they left that out. Only other cases I can think of are the Hound (supposedly) and Cat and, again, the Hound was never dead to begin with so I don't think the general audience has any reason to call foul on that one.

At the moment the audience thinks Jon Cat , The hound and Stannis are all dead.

If Jon comes back then they will probably cheer. When the hound comes back they will be confused but ok with it. If Cat comes back they will be a bit annoyed at all the contrivances. If Stannis also comes back they will just walk out of the room.

Again Cat would have the benefit that there now 3 seasons down the line, reintroducing her in say season 4 would have felt like a betrayal but now the dust has settled a lot more on the Red Wedding.

As you say I think its potentially the number of returns rather than actual resurrections that could be viewed as a cop out. I do think you could play Jon and Cat off of each other, not in the sense of the two character interacting but of both being resurrected and the different(or maybe similar in some respects?) effects that it has on them.

The Mountain I don't really view as being very similar, we've seen no indictation that Gregor's personality has been resurrected, just that his body has been reanimated.

Well, i dont know why people consider her to be cut and especially want her to be cut saying she adds nothing to the story. Leaving out the revenge arc after the red wedding was the biggest mistake of the show yet and for me the main reason why S5 was not that good. I think now in season 6 it would be the perfect timing to introduce her: Drop some hints about the BWB hanging people, Briennes and Pod getting captured by BWB, first encounter with LSH and reveal, finally Brienne and LSH faceoff and Pod hanging. If written well, this could be some huge (!) scenes. What could be better than this, Brienne again chasing after Sansa or just getting killed by some random people?

Archived