[Book Spoilers] The Road To Volantis... The Road To Mereen

Varys has fled from KL, how in the world is he supposed to kill Kevan??? I think the show changed that entirely. And I see less and less possibilities for an entrance of Aegon

I'm starting to think Littlefinger is gonna be the one to kill Kevan and Pycelle

It may be worth mentioning that it's a simple fact that the actual road to Merreen literally starts in Volantis...the so-called Demon Road. As I said last week, I doubt that's actually Varys's intended route.

I think the Gilly/Shireen discussion of greyscale and how it made Gilly's sisters somehow subhuman is a nod toward the Griffon River Cruise Line plot. I think Varys drops Tyrion off with Griff (i.e. just like Illyrio did, but we viewers already know and like Conleth Hill, who otherwise has nothing to do and can't talk to anyone in Westeros) and Tyrion continues on, believing (just as he did in the book) that the point is just Dany, having no knowledge of Aegon. Nothing Varys has said or done forecloses on his direct and intimate knowledge of Aegon as part of the plan. If nothing else, that's a need to know basis and Tyrion doesn't.

Assuming that LF and Varys aren't in league together, this doesn't work based on Varys' "for the realm" speech given to Kevan shortly before killing him.

Yeah, if Littlefinger does it, it'll be more like "For the lolz"

At first I thought that Varys' reply "We're meeting another ruler in Volantis" was a hint/proof that Aegon will be included in the show. But then I thought that "ruler" cannot really refer to him since the term implies that the person they are meeting already rules. Aegon however has no kingdom to rule at this point. As a result, he is not a ruler. So the person Varys wants to meet has to be someone else. Maybe Varys knows that Daenerys will be forced to move soon because of certain events? The show has already accelerated many threads, why not also Daenerys'?

Concerning Varys' return to King's Landing to kill Kevan Lannister (and Grandmaester Pycelle): I suppose someone else could do that for him. There are enough people who want to end the Lannister regime. I wonder if the person who poisoned Joffrey could fulfil the murderous task. In the book discussions, most readers argue that the person who killed Joffrey collaborates with Littlefinger and there is a lot of evidence for that. But what if the person plays a double role and works for both Varys and Littlefinger? The two schemers have quite different goals but at least at this stage, they have a common aim: to weaken the Lannisters. As a result, the third person, whoever that is, might very well collaborate with both of them without having to be in a conflict of any kind.

You shut your mouth! Olenna is an immortal goddess!

True, true.

Concerning Kevan: Why does he even have to be killed? He hasn't been introduced as that important yet, so they can let him just "dissappear"

True, true.

Concerning Kevan: Why does he even have to be killed? He hasn't been introduced as that important yet, so they can let him just "dissappear"

If Kevan isn't killed like he was in the books, wouldn't that then make a still living Lannister to the throne's side of the equation? Yes he said he was going to Casterly Rock - Kevan didn't do that in the books and that was somewhat significant because at that point we know just how weak the Lannisters have become with only Jaime and Cersei left and both of them having major issues at the end of the last book - we're thinking the Lannisters are getting snuffed out entirely by that point with Jaime's 'redemption' being the only potential hope for their House. That was part of the beauty of it - that what comes around goes around finally caught up to the mighty House Lannister.

Kevan just told Cersei to go to hell in the last episode (that was epic btw) - which paints him as a pretty formidable follow-up to his now dead brother Tywin .. that changes the dynamics of a crumbling house Lannister. I don't know what they're up to since Varys is now too far away to kill Kevan and him returning to King's Landing seems odd but they've had him ride the magical carpet all over the place before, it could happen.

I believe the conversation between Varys and Tyrion in the last episode while they were on Illios patio replaces the Varys Kevan discussion in the book. No Aegon. Kevan to CR instead of dead. And the other ruler is the dothraki leader from the first seasons.

Archived