U.S. Politics - no more cakes

TerraPrime

I'm loving the religious zeal of the left's posts on the flu vaccine. only zero percent effective? you still better worship it, motherfuckers (and also feel ashamed and/or dumb/ignorant if you don't agree with us). And Triskele just said a few pages ago that democrats are not equally culty compared to republicans. All religion is self evident amiright? and shame is powerful tool to enforce group homogeneity of belief, it's been a very heavily used cudgel the past few pages.

Uh, this isn't a cult, it's science. You know, facts. Evidence. This is no more religious zeal then people telling you the earth is, in fact, ~4.5 billion years old and you are an idiot if you think otherwise.

Please, stop this bullshit. It just makes you look foolish.

well the experts were pretty monolithic on free giveaways to the rich and not doing anything that takes a long time in 2008/9, so it's fair to characterize them as such.

No they weren't so no it isn't. Please stop this shit, it's just sad.

This is why democrats will lose--and lose badly--in 2016, playing a prevent defense and no offense means that you will always lose, because playing a "prevent defense" never actually works, it just creates the opportunity for the other side to win.

Democrats have to go on the offensive: Targets should include Indiana, North Carolina, Georgia, Missouri, and Arizona if they want to win in 2016. Trying to stop the bleeding failed miserably as a strategy in 2014, trying the same strategy in 2016 will be flat out insanity.

We need a chicken little emoticon.

I'm loving the religious zeal of the left's posts on the flu vaccine. only zero percent effective? you still better worship it, motherfuckers (and also feel ashamed and/or dumb/ignorant if you don't agree with us). And Triskele just said a few pages ago that democrats are not equally culty compared to republicans. All religion is self evident amiright? and shame is powerful tool to enforce group homogeneity of belief, it's been a very heavily used cudgel the past few pages.

It was not noticeably effective for some of the world and noticeably under-performed this year. Jumping from that statement to "lol 0%" is just stupid. And I care a lot about it not because of political ideology, but because I'm the poor motherfucker that gets to watch people get sick and sometimes die all winter to (moderately) preventable diseases because getting a quick, easily accessible shot is too much work for some people. So thanks, asshole.

And to use the point about the flu vaccine to extend to other vaccines is just asinine.

e: Also there's like two people going on about the "flu vaccine" with anything approaching zeal, so, uh, what? I must have missed this month's memo.

Care to tell me why it matters to you? Because, practically, the alternative is to do nothing.

I don't care if certain, low-risk individuals eschew the flu vaccine because there's no chance of getting near the threshold for herd immunity so you're not going to significantly increase the chance of immunocompromised people within the general population. I don't see why you would skip it as it is usually offered free of cost, but whatever. Your choice. Higher-risk people or those working with higher-risk people, whoever, are, imo, obligated to receive the vaccine. I am 100% for mandatory vaccination of healthcare professionals, for instance.

I pretty much agree with your second paragraph, to get that out of the way.

Regarding my problem with making and distributing an ineffective vaccine to millions of people, it's a huge waste of resources, including the cost of making, distributing, and administering the vaccine, and the time people have to take off to get the vaccine. Not to mention all the people getting sick and/or dying from receiving an ineffective influenza vaccine. And this isn't the first time that the influenza vaccine has been poorly effective or ineffective. To me, this means that the system we have in place for creating the influenza vaccine, which has essentially stayed the same for many decades, is mediocre at best, and really needs to be improved.

I'm a big fan of vaccines, when they are proven to be reliably effective. The influenza vaccine doesn't fall in that category. What I'd like to see is a lot more funding/spending allocated to influenza vaccine R&D. But that's not going to happen when the vast majority of people are happy with the influenza vaccine as it currently stands.

I'm not aware of any solid candidates from the left. At least, Bernie's trying to get his message out there.

This is totally a thread derail, but whenever I see a right-winger talk about Democrats being lefties I just roar with laughter.

Holy f***, you know nothing Jon Snow.

Archived