Winterfell crypt swords have an opposite effect?

Daendrew

He dreamt he was back in Winterfell, limping past the stone kings on their thrones. Their grey granite eyes turned to follow him as he passed, and their grey granite fingers tightened on the hilts of the rusted swords upon their laps. You are no Stark, he could hear them mutter, in heavy granite voices. There is no place for you here. Go away.

Not only dragon blooded people but Bran was also wroth to see that Rickon took the Freys to the crypts.

Yeah between this and one of them being butchered to death, probably by Ramsay in the crypts when he realised swords were missing and that Bran and co had hid down there + the sacrilege of Ramsay claiming to be Lord of Winterfell + marrying a fake Stark before the Weir Tree means he's probably in some kind of trouble

Probably from Mance? Don't underestimate Abel at all

He dreamt he was back in Winterfell, limping past the stone kings on their thrones. Their grey granite eyes turned to follow him as he passed, and their grey granite fingers tightened on the hilts of the rusted swords upon their laps. You are no Stark, he could hear them mutter, in heavy granite voices. There is no place for you here. Go away.

Yeah this is fascinating

Could be his mindset as Jon Snow at the time.

He may not be legitimate at that time but he still has Stark blood in his veins and so its magical properties

If Robb legitimised him it would be interesting to see if there is any counter vision in the future EDIT: "I AM THE LORD OF WINTERFELL" could be the counter vision, done in something of a fire vision though I think

That said I still reckon he would be a Dragon King above all at the end of it all but with dual arms, Rickon will probably be KiTN out of Winterfell

Yeah this is fascinating

Could be his mindset as Jon Snow at the time.

He may not be legitimate at that time but he still has Stark blood in his veins and so its magical properties

If Robb legitimised him it would be interesting to see if there is any counter vision in the future

That said I still reckon he would be a Dragon King above all at the end of it all but with dual arms, Rickon will probably be KiTN out of Winterfell

It still sounds like built-in Stark defense. What if an army of ghosts similar to those who were damned by the curse of Isildur is about to be unleashed from the crypts?

For more than a year the Rhoynar struggled to survive in Sothoryos, until the day when a boat from Zamettar arrived at Yeen to find that every man, woman, and child in that haunted, ruined city had vanished overnight.

What if Stannis comes to Winterfell and finds the castle completely wiped out?

(“A city so evil that even the jungle will not enter,” Nymeria is supposed to have said when she laid eyes on it, if the tales are true). Every attempt to rebuild or resettle Yeen has ended in horror.

What if Winterfell is destined to be the Second Yeen if there is no Stark left in Winterfell?

It was mariners from the Golden Empire who opened Leng to trade, yet even then the island remained a perilous place for outsiders, for the Empress of Leng was known to have congress with the Old Ones, gods who lived deep below the ruined subterranean cities, and from time to time the Old Ones told her to put all the strangers on the island to death. This is known to have happened at least four times in the island’s history if Colloquo Votar’s Jade Compendium can be believed.

This type of wiping out the intruders events are not unique to Yeen. As soon as Ramsay claimed Winterfell by a false marriage, a strange snow storm broke out, as if trying to bury the intruders into snow.

It still sounds like built-in Stark defense. What if an army of ghosts similar to those who were damned by the curse of Isildur is about to be unleashed from the crypts?

For more than a year the Rhoynar struggled to survive in Sothoryos, until the day when a boat from Zamettar arrived at Yeen to find that every man, woman, and child in that haunted, ruined city had vanished overnight.

What if Stannis comes to Winterfell and finds the castle completely wiped out?

(“A city so evil that even the jungle will not enter,” Nymeria is supposed to have said when she laid eyes on it, if the tales are true). Every attempt to rebuild or resettle Yeen has ended in horror.

What if Winterfell is destined to be the Second Yeen if there is no Stark left in Winterfell?

It was mariners from the Golden Empire who opened Leng to trade, yet even then the island remained a perilous place for outsiders, for the Empress of Leng was known to have congress with the Old Ones, gods who lived deep below the ruined subterranean cities, and from time to time the Old Ones told her to put all the strangers on the island to death. This is known to have happened at least four times in the island’s history if Colloquo Votar’s Jade Compendium can be believed.

This type of wiping out the intruders events are not unique to Yeen. As soon as Ramsay claimed Winterfell by a false marriage, a strange snow storm broke out, as if trying to bury the intruders into snow.

I actually agree, there must always be a Stark in Winterfell may be a magical thing

Given I hold to Jon Stark-Targaryen, Jon still has the magical properties of Fire in his blood, so I suspect that while walking through a Crypt deep in the magic of Ice/winter the Kings of Winter or Ice are somewhat "bracing" from it during that vision (even Summer bared his fangs at the flame snake thing) and Coldhands who has been resurrected or Wighted via Ice magic is wary of Bran and Jojen etc fire,

You probably have to look at "you don't belong here" and "you are no Stark" as distinct

Even if legitimised or put into powerperhaps it's a case of Jon can't be buried there though because of the Fire blood? I edited my above comment, the "I AM THE LORD OF WINTERFELL" could be a counter vision - besides the very fact Lyanna his mother is buried there kinda means he does have some place in the Crypts, so that vision could have been his psychological interpretation? Watch this space

Thing is I expect Jon to take power as a Stark King with the Mormonts backing him with Robbs will being front and centre, I actually reckon he will marry Arya as Queen , so in an ironic reversal of Ramsay and fArya, having rArya as his Warrior Queen might settle the issue down definitively as whatever way you look at it even if he is a "Dragon first: because he is Rhaegars son he has legitimately married an unquestionably trueborn Stark and is officially "part of the family" so to speak and it would serve as the magical equivalent of Robbs will

The Riverlands are another issue, I expect Sansa to take over and base herself out of Harrenhall making extensive use of potent bloodmagic, so I reckon the warding of Winterfell will become highly important then as it will protect Jon and Arya from whatever it is Sansa starts conjuring up (I also expect Arya will protect Gendry from Sansa but that's off-topic)

Still thinking it through, never considered the idea of Winterfell being heavily warded before, and the Snowstorm being a defensive measure

the fact that Jon is half Stark means he SHOULD have a place down there. I really don't think ghosts care about bastards vs. legitimate offspring. That's a human distinction. I don't think this is just in Jon's head either. The King of Winter are rejecting him, and the only plausible reason I can come up with is that they are rejecting him because of his dragon nature.

Why would Winterfell be warded against dragon people? What bad thing will happen if dragon people have access to Winterfell and the crypts?? That is the question.

I have an answer but I'm not going to blab until I can put together a strong theory. Until then I am saying they really hate harpists and don't want Jon to get his hands on that damn harp. If they hear another note of harp music they will claw their ears out.

the fact that Jon is half Stark means he SHOULD have a place down there. I really don't think ghosts care about bastards vs. legitimate offspring. That's a human distinction. I don't think this is just in Jon's head either. The King of Winter are rejecting him, and the only plausible reason I can come up with is that they are rejecting him because of his dragon nature.

You get an entire lemoncake.

Has the story ever mentioned what lowborn northerners do with their dead? Buried or burned?

If all northerners burn their dead except for Starks then there is definitely something extremely significant going on with the crypt.

I'm also on the side that presenting naked steel in itself is a denial of guest right without having to symbolically place it across your lap.

Archived