Anyone else really liking Maegor?

Hrulj

When did Jaehaerys "flip flop" on heirs, all his sons died, is that somehow his fault?

He had grandchildren and the inheritance was damn clear, according to Andal law.

Jaehaerys => Aemon => Rhaenys => Laenor.

He flipped that to

Jaehaerys => Baelon

for no reason. And later, he flopped around again in the Great Council.

He had grandchildren and the inheritance was damn clear, according to Andal law.

He flipped that to

Jaehaerys => Baelon

Maybe he didn't want the Targs to be replcaed by the Velaryons.

Maybe he saw that Baelon served extremely capably as hand after Barth died and knew he would be a good king.

Maybe he saw that his predecesor Maegor inherited his brother's throne and thought Baelon would get away with doing the same thing.

Laenor could had took the name Tragaryen.

Maybe he saw that Baelon served extremely capably as hand after Barth died and knew he would be a good king.

Baelon could also serve as Rhaenys' Hand.

Maybe he saw that his predecesor Maegor inherited his brother's throne and thought Baelon would get away with doing the same thing.

Maegor took his Throne he didn't inherited it.

And maybe these are the reasons he told hmself while fucking up royally.

And maybe these are the reasons he told hmself while fucking up royally.

Why was choosing Baelon and then Viserys as heir a fuck up?

If he had chosen Rhaenys the Dance would have happend anyway just with different contenders.

Why was choosing Baelon and then Viserys as heir a fuck up?

If he had chosen Rhaenys the Dance would have happend anyway just with different contenders.

If he had simply adhered to the established inheritance laws (the ones putting him on the throne), Rhaenys and later Laenor would have ruled without any problems.

They had the legal right and the backing of more than enough powerful people.

If he had simply adhered to the established inheritance laws (the ones putting him on the throne), Rhaenys and later Laenor would have ruled without any problems.

They had the legal right and the backing of more than enough powerful people

Did they have backing? Since Viserys beat Laenor 20 to 1 in supporters in the great council of 101. They only had the Baratheons, the Starks and the Velaryons on their side.

I don't think so. The society is as sexist as their rulers. The Andal law was clear "The heir's heir is the heir." it never said if the heir's heir is a girl then the line changes. That was only the Targs. So it wasn't Westeros it was Jaehaerys who was the sexist one and caused havoc with that choice.

Which is incorrect in the first part. The Andal Law is clear in that people inherit after their age in the lines of sons, daughters, uncles, aunts and so on. But I agree that it don't say that if the heir's heir is female the heir should be passed over.

He flipped that to

Jaehaerys => Baelon

I agree about Andal Law and the line of inheritance. Rhaenys was the heir who was robbed of her throne by the Old King.

Did they have backing? Since Viserys beat Laenor 20 to 1 in supporters in the great council of 101. They only had the Baratheons, the Starks and the Velaryons on their side.

Well, that's two Great Houses and further more I recall the Manderlys and Dustins having spoken in her favor. And the Velaryons were also powerful at this point. But I also agree that most likely Rhaenys would frankly have been outnumbered by a great degree.

Which is incorrect in the first part. The Andal Law is clear in that people inherit after their age in the lines of sons, daughters, uncles, aunts and so on. But I agree that it don't say that if the heir's heir is female the heir should be passed over.

Sorry but my english died could you explain that?

There is no such thing as 'Andal Law' demanding that Jaehaerys I name Rhaenys his heir after Aemon's death. If this had been the case he would have done it. He would also have done it if he had believed that this was what most his lords wanted him to do. The fact that he chose Baelon is a pretty big hint that the lords wanted a male heir, not a female heir - which means that tradition and custom did not favor a female heir.

We see how popular Rhaenys' son Laenor - the male scion of the elder Targaryen line - is on the Great Council. It is 20:1 in favor of Viserys - this would also not have been the case if the consensus at the council was that Laenor was the true heir according to 'law' as the lords voting for Viserys would not have thought of themselves as 'lawbreakers', no?

(double post)

How was Daeron an awful king? We don't know anything bad about him, only that he was young and counquered Dorne

and failed at that, invading dorne is the westeros version of invading russia in the winter, it just doesn't work, his war brought much death misery to dorne, and to westeros, all because he was young and arrogant and thought he could do anything.

as far as i'm concerned, any king who willingly drags his realm to war and doesn't win it is an awful king.

There is no such thing as 'Andal Law' demanding that Jaehaerys I name Rhaenys his heir after Aemon's death. If this had been the case he would have done it. He would also have done it if he had believed that this was what most his lords wanted him to do. The fact that he chose Baelon is a pretty big hint that the lords wanted a male heir, not a female heir - which means that tradition and custom did not favor a female heir.

We see how popular Rhaenys' son Laenor - the male scion of the elder Targaryen line - is on the Great Council. It is 20:1 in favor of Viserys - this would also not have been the case if the consensus at the council was that Laenor was the true heir according to 'law' as the lords voting for Viserys would not have thought of themselves as 'lawbreakers', no?

Wasn't Jon who said daughters before uncles and wasn't Cerelle Lannister who became the Lady of the Rock even if her father's brother was alive?

yeah, daughters usually go before uncles, Jaehaerys and the great council defied the law there.

to be fair, viserys was a pretty good king, things only got screwd up after he died(still on him, of course, it's like robert).

....wait, did i just set up robert as an example for a good king? my logic got screwd here, restart.

Jaehaerys defied andal law, which was targaryen law as well for all i care, that is his one fault in my eyes.

BUT, he did it on some fair arguments for it, for one he didn't want the throne to pass away from the targaryen house.

secondly, he didn't want a women on the throne, not going to defend that.

thirdly, he thought Viserys would make a better thing, and as far as i'm concerned Viserys's reign was quite prosperous for the most part.

mind, other than the inheritance debacle, i tend to see Jaehaerys as the greatest king in the history of the iron throne.

Archived