Old Valyria and the Doom

D-Shiznit

It's somewhat more palatable when you flip the bird to the green and blue choices and stick to the "Renegade" option, plus have the extended ending DLC installed. But yeah, that explanation....god, the whole backstory.... It took one of the most frightening and truly magnificent villain premises and just poured its hack Sci-Fi sauce all over it.

Had the Reapers just been left to our own imaginations, something terrifyingly immune to our understanding of reason, logic and the laws of the universe, that would've been more than enough.

Yeah, I appreciate that Bioware did at least bother to address the complaints, but God that ending was awful. After the DLC, it's just bad, but I like that they went to the effort of doing it.

Yeah, I appreciate that Bioware did at least bother to address the complaints, but God that ending was awful. After the DLC, it's just bad, but I like that they went to the effort of doing it.

It made me at least appreciate that they're trying underneath the weight of EA douchebaggery. I really like Inquisition though I'm far from close to finishing it, and Mass Effect 4's got me legit excited about what's to come.

Is the poem about doom written by Bryan Cogman, or is it from George? I don't remember reading it anywhere. Only thing I recall is a singer at Purple Wedding sang about two lovers caught up in the doom of Valyria, but that was in Valyrian tongue so most of the guests could not understand it.

Is the poem about doom written by Bryan Cogman, or is it from George? I don't remember reading it anywhere. Only thing I recall is a singer at Purple Wedding sang about two lovers caught up in the doom of Valyria, but that was in Valyrian tongue so most of the guests could not understand it.

Cogman. I loved it!

I was surprised, maybe bordering on a little disappointed that Valyria didn't look as insane as in the books, but I just reminded myself this is show!Planetos and that it is just different. Almost all of that backstory doesn't exist in the show. And I did think it was quite beautiful and striking otherwise. I thought the Stone Men were meh, a little silly, though I loved that shot where the first one drops into the water in the background.

ETA: and the entire sequence was totally worth it to me just for the poem. I thought it was so beautiful and haunting.

Cogman. I loved it!

I was surprised, maybe bordering on a little disappointed that Valyria didn't look as insane as in the books, but I just reminded myself this is show!Planetos and that it is just different. Almost all of that backstory doesn't exist in the show. And I did think it was quite beautiful and striking otherwise. I thought the Stone Men were meh, a little silly, though I loved that shot where the first one drops into the water in the background.

ETA: and the entire sequence was totally worth it to me just for the poem. I thought it was so beautiful and haunting.

Anyone else wish Cogman would pull a True Detective and just write every episode himself? He's always been the most faithful (and therefore best) screenwriter toward the source material. George's words are always better than D&D's. Sadly they are writing more and more of the show themselves.

As for Valyria, I'd have appreciated it more if it had been one of the cities on the outskirts. 1.) because sailing straight through Valyria is a really dumb idea. 2.) they could have said it was Tyria or some suburb and left Valyria ominously close, glowing red and hear the shrieks and howls of whatever is haunting it. 3.) the beautiful poem still would have applied, seeing the more modest grandeur of just a Valyrian colony, letting our imaginations conjure what the city itself must have been like.

Archived