Stoneheart "more alive" than wights?

Bustard

LS seems to have more agency than wights, she leads a company of men. Wights seem more like pawns under the will of others. Although there is that one wight who seems to come for lord commander specifically. Even LS is nothing like Cat except that she has a memory of who wronged her and wants them dead. But Berrick seemed completely like himself after resurrection, somewhat like Coldhands if he is a wight. So maybe two kinds of resurrections aren't so different after all.

When you sever a limb from a wight, the limb continues to move; however when Beric is hit in a vital area he dies and has to be brought back to life. This shows that Rhollor wights still rely on some of their bodily functions.

I would say that Cat is more alive than the Other wights.

Drd

Two examples of the resurrected dead but seemingly very different. LS has a sense of Catelyn in her while the wights are just animated bodies. Am I wrong to believe that?

Dqd pi n

Two examples of the resurrected dead but seemingly very different. LS has a sense of Catelyn in her while the wights are just animated bodies. Am I wrong to believe that?

When you sever a limb from a wight, the limb continues to move; however when Beric is hit in a vital area he dies and has to be brought back to life. This shows that Rhollor wights still rely on some of their bodily functions.

Sc h vat eh ft ft o

Drd

Dqd pi n

Sc h vat eh ft ft o

Drd

Dqd pi n

Sc h vat eh ft ft ol

Aaadn

LS seems to have more agency than wights, she leads a company of men. Wights seem more like pawns under the will of others. Although there is that one wight who seems to come for lord commander specifically. Even LS is nothing like Cat except that she has a memory of who wronged her and wants them dead. But Berrick seemed completely like himself after resurrection, somewhat like Coldhands if he is a wight. So maybe two kinds of resurrections aren't so different after all.

Don't wights also retain a bit of memory about the people who wronged them? In the prologue to AGOT wighted Ser Waymar Royce strangled Will after he hid in a tree and left him for dead. I feel like there were other examples too but I can't remember at the moment

The only reason my Lady seems different than Beric is because she cannot talk. Beric was rotted and hardly knew himself by the end. I'd say he was in worse shape when we see him since he died multiple times.

You're really beginning to remind me of Brienne.

But yes, LS's throat was slashed. That of course changed the way Martin wrote her character.

I'm not sure if "alive" is the right word, but I agree that LS seems to retain a degree of personhood that the wights do not. LS IS Catelyn Stark. She has the memories of Catelyn and maintains a degree of free will and purpose. Wights don't seem to possess any of these as far as we can tell. You could say that the wights maintain some degree of memory, but they are no longer "themselves".

Archived