Tragedy at Summerhall... Thoughts

The Skinner

It's one of the big question marks of the series. I'm not sure we'll ever find out exactly what happened there. It might be better that way. As it stands we're left wondering about it and the possibilities are interesting. Fleshing out an exact answer would probably take away from the appeal.

Welcome to the boards, by the way! :)

Welcome to the boards. We are likely to learn about it via the Dunk and Egg stories, if not in ASOIAF. This was a pivotal moment in the history of Westeros, and I suspect treachery was involved. There are existing threads on this topic. You can use the search function at the top of this page, if it is working. Or, you may try a Google search for more options:

Summerhall site:asoiaf.westeros.org

Summerhall? I always thought it was an attempt to do the blood magic that Dany eventually pulled off at Khal Drogo's funeral and hatch dragons. I suspect we'll find out that this is what The Mad King wanted to achieve in burning Kings Landing as well.

Murder and Human Sacrifice to make Dragons, that has all the makings of a tragedy, especially if you don't hatch dragons.

I've seen it been pointed out that the only two Targaryens who died at Summerhall were Aegon and his firstborn Duncan. Which given this statement

“Aye, m’lord,” said Edd, “but all she knows is that she ran off during the battle and hid in the woods after. We filled her full of porridge, sent her to the pens, and burned the babe.” Burning dead children had ceased to trouble Jon Snow; live ones were another matter. Two kings to wake the dragon. The father first and then the son, so both die kings. The words had been murmured by one of the queen’s men as Maester Aemon had cleaned his wounds. Jon had tried to dismiss them as his fever talking. Aemon had demurred. “There is power in a king’s blood,” the old maester had warned, “and better men than Stannis have done worse things than this.” The king can be harsh and unforgiving, aye, but a babe still on the breast? Only a monster would give a living child to the flames.

Is curious. Duncan was apparently disinherited after breaking his betrothal, but if Aegon reinstated him before his death, and then died before Duncan did, then they both died as kings which is what is said is needed to wake dragons here. Furthermore, Aemon says that better men than Stannis have done something like this, which implies to me that he's speaking from experience, and the only possible people that Aemon could have had such an experience from is Aegon

Well we know there was seven eggs (to represent the seven), and everybody present was burned. Now we also know it was the same day, same place as Rhaegar was born. And I would add that faith of the seven + Blood magic isn't a healthy mix (exept maybe for the Hightowers).

If you want a little conspiracy of mine : Rhaella had Rhaegar when she was 14 or 13, and Aerys was 15...Ok I don't say it's impossible...But dam that's young ! Then they have trouble having children until Viserys. So my guess is that Summerhall succeeded somehow => It gave birth to "a true dragon"= Rhaegar. Now what does it mean for Dany ? And what for the son of the "true dragon" ? (Star Wars much ?).

I do hope we find out what happened at Summerhall, we are given such interesting tidbits! Who did Dunk save? He must have gone back in again if he then died there. And the one thought that always pops into my mind, what happened to the dragons eggs? If we are to believe dragons are as fireproof as is suggested, and we are told of Dany's eggs being laid on hot coals and then in the pyre, then it should be possible the eggs weren't destroyed. And if so, did someone take them? Are they still buried under the ruins? I also wonder at it being Rhaegar's favorite place, his not allowing anyone to accompany him there and his always returning from there with a new song. Why did he always go by himself? I do so hope we get answers to these questions one day.

The Dunk I know and love would not sell dragon eggs. Period. I wouldn't rule out an alternative ending for Dunk entirely, however. I believe he absolutely would die trying to save Egg and/or his family - unless he were knocked unconscious while saving Rhaegar and awoke after the worst had happened. It would be almost impossible for Dunk to go incognito anywhere in the realm...except maybe Quiet Isle or a hermit's cave on the Fingers - even the Wall would hold so many who would recognize him. And there has not even been a whisper over the years from anyone.

Imbuing dragoneggs with spirits or those dying at Summerhall having served as blood sacrifices are interesting ideas. I don't recall if there was any protection around the site to prevent excavating for the eggs. Rhaegar always went alone so he might have been digging. Varys would have been interested. Certainly Blackfyres are suspect, both in pursuing eggs and in collusion regarding the Summerhall fire. Because of their financial value, all of the citizens of Westeros and possibly some from Esso might have been tempted to dig. On the other hand, we have reason to believe there are dragon eggs scattered in places throughout the globe so Dany's eggs may be from anywhere.

Archived