[Book Spoilers] Will Bronn die in S5?

Korben Phallus

Pure speculation on my part, but bear with me. Book spoilers ahead.

Given D&D's tendencies to streamline certain storylines into one another (Jorah Morment & Jon Connington) & to kill characters still alive in the books (Mance Rayder & Ser Barristan Selmy). Would it be outrageous to suggest that Bronn may replace Arys Oakheart this season & wind up on the pointy end of Areo Hotah's axe?

Perhaps one of the high dramatic points, if not the highest, of the Dornish storyline in AFFC was the death of Arys Oakheart at the deft & mercurial hands of Areo Hotah. This scene seems a natural inclusion for the show, however, Arys Oakheart has not been cast & will not appear in S5 of GoT. But given the above changes already mentioned, would it be that unthinkable for D&D to make yet another. Here's some evidence for my thinking:

In October 2014 WinterIsComing.net posted these behind the scenes photos of Jaime in Dorne. Given that Bronn is accompanying Jaime this season to Dorne, it would be reasonable to expect to see him somewhere in these photos.

However, Jerome Flynn is nowhere to be seen. Not stood amongst the crew, not posing with D&D or Alexander Siddig. He's nowhere to be seen. There's nothing. Zip. Nada. Diddly.

Also if you look at the trailer for Season 5 there are 2 separate scenes in Dorne where we see Jaime & Bronn fighting on the beaches in Dorne from episode 4 (roughly 0:12 & 1:10 into the video) & another scene of Jaime at the Water Gardens sans Bronn (roughly 1:02 into the video).

Immediately I can think of at least one rebuttal to this argument, maybe Bronn just isn't in this particular scene. Maybe for diplomacy's sake Jaime thought it best to leave the, shall we say, heavy-handed approach of Bronn in lieu of a more subtle one.

Also killing of Bronn would be a pretty huge change to make considering Bronn's status as a fan favourite. Near mutinous. Killing him now would almost certainly alienate the entire reading fanbase.

Perhaps this won't be the case & I certainly hope it isn't...

However, given statements from GRRM himself that said that currently living characters from the books die, this means that to a certain extent its open season so far as GoT is concerned.

I also appreciate that I'm writing this roughly at the time S5E6 is being broadcast, so for all I know I may be right, but a little late.

TL;DR: Bronn might get killed by Areo Hotah, much like Arys Oakheart did in AFFC given the untimely changes to Mance Rayder, Ser Barristan & Jorah already this season.

I thought he would die this season but since he didn't die in last episode, I don't think that will happen now. They have been arrested, next time we see them they will talk with Doran. What could happen? The fights are over.

Unless there is something new happening, of course.

I think both Bronn and Jaimie are done for. Born will probably die a horrible death and Jaimie executed by Hotah's axe.

Bronn dying from a poisoned blade wouldn't make sense. The Sand Snakes weren't expecting to fight, they stumbled on them. Their plan was stupid, but I doubt that they were going to risk nicking Myrcella with it. They probably had plans to kill her slowly but over a long period so they could send pieces of her back to KL.

So if the blade was poisoned, it should be much more fast-acting. I think that was a producing troll on D&D's part. Have everyone looking at Bronn's nick and not realizing just how much danger everyone is in now.

My one issue with the poison dagger is Tyne reaction to Bronn's quip. Why get so angry if she just poison him? Unless she is acting to not raise suspicion but I doubt that.

Disappointed Bronn did not appear suspicious of poison. They have quite him knowledgeable of various culture so he should know about the Dornish use of poision.

I hope so. There's a pizza in it for me. Also, I hate his character and want him to be dead. He's so bro-y. "Yeah, yeah, I'm so edgy, I'm only in it for myself, rules of decency and society are meant to be bent." Yeah, idiot, let's see you get cancer or disability and see how being a cool lone wolf works out for you then.

Equally, he could also get his wife and castle and fade to obscurity. Just whatever it is that lets me not look at his ugly mug for the next two seasons.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived