Map accuracy A Dance with Dragons

Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum. I have read all of the books and watched all of the episodes to this point. I was curious about how big Westeros was so I did some measurement based on some passages from the book.

P. 323

100 leagues from Astapor to Yunkai by Old Ghiscari coast road

6 days hard riding or 8 days leisurely pace

50 leagues from Yunkai to Meereen

I measured the distance from Astapor to Yunkai on the map provided in the book and it measured 2.5 centimeters.

P. 550 Deepwood Motte to Winterfell

100 leagues 15 days

I know that the time this will take changes due to the snow

I measured 3 centimeters

Is the artist illustrating these maps not caring about map accuracy distance wise or is George R.R. Martin okay with inaccurate maps?

It's my understanding that Westeros is about the size of South America, and i also believe Martin has said that the maps aren't 100% accurate but i dont have any quotes for you.

It's about the length of South America - it's considerably smaller in area. South America is about 4,500 miles or so from north to south. And I think we're assuming the 4,500 would include at least 1,000 miles north of the Wall.

It's my understanding that Westeros is about the size of South America, and i also believe Martin has said that the maps aren't 100% accurate but I don't have any quotes for you.

As I recall [again without quoting] he basically warned against reading any significance into journey times since they reflected the needs of the plot rather than the supposed geography.

Due to quite a few years of study, our conclusion was that Westeros is approximately 3,000 miles long from the Wall to the south coast of Dorne and around 900 miles wide at its widest point.

Distances from the books:

The Wall itself is almost exactly 300 miles (100 leagues) long. It is a bit over 163 miles from Yunkai to Meereen (as we assume the Meereenese didn't come right up to 1 or 2 miles from Yunkai to nail up their slaves). It is approximately 1,650 (550 leagues) miles as the crow flies from Volantis to Meereen. The south coast of Westeros is 1,200 miles (400 leagues) wide, which we've taken to mean from the Stepstones to the Arbor and including a fair bit of dramatic exaggeration.

In the books, the maps of the North, the South, Slaver's Bay and the Free Cities aren't quite in scale with one another. The best bet is to use the world map from The World of Ice and Fire which unifies them all together.

TV Westeros appears to be a bit smaller than the book version: it's only a month and approx 1,000 miles from King's Landing to Winterfell, as opposed to several months and more like 1,500 in the books. Torrhen's Square is also only 40 leagues/120 miles from Winterfell, when in the books it appears to be closer to 200 miles. However, the Wall is still said to be 300 miles long, so go figure.

Archived