College Football 2015: OSU, The Three-Headed Dragon

Weekly pick'em against the spread (or we can do straight picks where you just pick the winner, but I prefer picking against the spread).  Probably drop each player's worst week, that way if someone doesn't get their picks in on time one week (inevitably happens) it doesn't knock them out of the running. 

I'll post the signup info here once I have it

Awesome, thanks!

Hmmm...why would S John go with darkhorse Arizona in the Pac-12...hmmm...

:P

Haha, well that is one of the picks that I wouldn't put money on.  I do think Rodriguez is a good coach, he was just a terrible fit at Michigan.

I see where he's going too Trisk.....blasphemy, blasphemy, blasphemy! I had a "In Rod We Trust" shirt. I loved that shirt, until he shamed us, lol. Now, its floating in the ether somewhere.

On a serious note, RichRod is one hell of a football coach. He's perfect for college, and Michigan will regret it. Arizona will be a contender in the Pac-12 year in, year out while he's on campus. When he left us at the alter, I'd never take him back. Now that the wounds have healed....I'd take him back in a heartbeat.

I go back and forth on that sometimes, but I think I'm fully on board the Holgorsen train right now.  He was put in a terrible situation.  Horrible head coach in waiting fiasco at the same time as a switch to a different conference with a team that had a few great players but completely lacked depth... all in his very first job as a head coach.  That is not a recipe for success and, looking back on it, it really should not have been a big surprise that it was tough going for a while.  But, I think WVU began to turn the corner last year.  

We are gonna be green on offense this year but the talent is there and I have faith in Holgorsen's ability to put some points on the board.  I do have some doubts about Howard, but there is talent behind him if he can't get it together.  WR's are young, but we have speed and size and depth.  We have lots of options at RB, three of whom are big, physical backs who just need to assert themselves.  D will be good.  WVU now has solid depth across the board and no external distractions.  The Big 12 has at least 7 solid to good teams which is always going to be difficult to overcome, but there isn't a single team on the schedule that I don't think WVU can beat.  I don't expect to win them all, but this is Holgorsen's year, imo, to show what he can really do.  

It took Rodriguez a good 4-5 years to get it going at WVU.  That's where Holgs is sitting now.

Haha, well that is one of the picks that I wouldn't put money on.  I do think Rodriguez is a good coach, he was just a terrible fit at Michigan.

I go back and forth on that sometimes, but I think I'm fully on board the Holgorsen train right now.  He was put in a terrible situation.  Horrible head coach in waiting fiasco at the same time as a switch to a different conference with a team that had a few great players but completely lacked depth... all in his very first job as a head coach.  That is not a recipe for success and, looking back on it, it really should not have been a big surprise that it was tough going for a while.  But, I think WVU began to turn the corner last year.  

We are gonna be green on offense this year but the talent is there and I have faith in Holgorsen's ability to put some points on the board.  I do have some doubts about Howard, but there is talent behind him if he can't get it together.  WR's are young, but we have speed and size and depth.  We have lots of options at RB, three of whom are big, physical backs who just need to assert themselves.  D will be good.  WVU now has solid depth across the board and no external distractions.  The Big 12 has at least 7 solid to good teams which is always going to be difficult to overcome, but there isn't a single team on the schedule that I don't think WVU can beat.  I don't expect to win them all, but this is Holgorsen's year, imo, to show what he can really do.  

It took Rodriguez a good 4-5 years to get it going at WVU.  That's where Holgs is sitting now.

I'm on board with Holgs, sorry, that's not what I meant. If for some reason we had to find a new coach, and RichRod and WVU could work things out, you wouldn't hear me complaining. I agree on everything you say in your post.

I'm on board with Holgs, sorry, that's not what I meant. If for some reason we had to find a new coach, and RichRod and WVU could work things out, you wouldn't hear me complaining. I agree on everything you say in your post.

Yea, I wouldn't complain about that either.

Weekly pick'em against the spread (or we can do straight picks where you just pick the winner, but I prefer picking against the spread).  Probably drop each player's worst week, that way if someone doesn't get their picks in on time one week (inevitably happens) it doesn't knock them out of the running. 

I'll post the signup info here once I have it

FYI, I just signed up for the pick 'em that my family does every year and since I hosted the last board pick 'em all I have to do is click a button to renew that group too.  

I can do that if that's easier.  Makes no difference to me.

FYI, I just signed up for the pick 'em that my family does every year and since I hosted the last board pick 'em all I have to do is click a button to renew that group too.  

I can do that if that's easier.  Makes no difference to me.

Go for it!  Less work for me

Eh, while we're throwing darts blindfolded, and I mostly pay attention to how, and in what manner, my 'Cats are going to get thumped in the SEC this year, I'll throw my league picks out there:

SEC:  Evil Saban and the Crimson Tide

The Big We Can't Count (BG10):  Michigan State

The Lil' We Can't Count (Big XII): TCU

Pac 10 12:  I have no freaking clue, but Oregon seems a safe pick

ACC: Clemson

Completely agree that something just didn't go right with RichRod at Michigan, and I'm very much starting to think that was a Michigan problem more than a RichRod problem.  It was an enormous cultural change.  Michigan is the ultimate pro-style offense with massive left tackles and immobile but hard-throwing, right-handed, 6'4" white QB's.  I've been watching college football closely since 1993, and Michigan has nearly always had such a system in place. 

ETA:  it's actually comical...here are Michigan's QB's:

Grbac

Collins

Dreisbach

Griese

Henson

Navarre

Brady

Henne

Mallett

Mallett is the only outlier because he's taller than the usual Michigan QB. 

lockesnow - I have not been following it that closely, but my gut is that Rosen is so gifted that he will supplant Neuheisel whether it's before opening day or during the year.  And I'm not a Neuheisel hater even though his dad kicked me out of their house on Lake Washington many years ago.  Rosen just looks unreal.

Completely agree that something just didn't go right with RichRod at Michigan, and I'm very much starting to think that was a Michigan problem more than a RichRod problem.  It was an enormous cultural change.  Michigan is the ultimate pro-style offense with massive left tackles and immobile but hard-throwing, right-handed, 6'4" white QB's.  I've been watching college football closely since 1993, and Michigan has nearly always had such a system in place. 

ETA:  it's actually comical...here are Michigan's QB's:

Grbac
Collins
Dreisbach
Griese
Henson
Navarre
Brady
Henne
Mallett

Mallett is the only outlier because he's taller than the usual Michigan QB. 

lockesnow - I have not been following it that closely, but my gut is that Rosen is so gifted that he will supplant Neuheisel whether it's before opening day or during the year.  And I'm not a Neuheisel hater even though his dad kicked me out of their house on Lake Washington many years ago.  Rosen just looks unreal.

That's what you get for spreading bakkake around, trisk. ;)

I feel like it should be Rosen but I think mora is having a real hard time making the call, the rest of the team is peaking, and Rosen is still installing the playbook, unfortunately for him neuheisal isn't doing well enough to give him cover. That's why I think jerry gets the first start, but chosen Rosen probably supplant him.

Quarterback Josh Rosen was having a good practice Wednesday. Then the freshman got lackadaisical, launching a Hail Mary pass during a late-session drill. Cue Coach Jim Mora:

“You’re not at . . . Bellflower St. John Bosco anymore!” Mora screamed. “That’s why you have not been named the starter.”

Rosen then threw another Hail Mary, providing Mora more ammunition:

“You can’t hit an open receiver downfield with no defense!” the coach railed.

“The ‘Anointed One,’ ” he sniffed.

“Go back to Bosco and beat some more [bad] teams.”

Finally, Mora looked over at members of the media and barked, “Tell your readers that is why he has not been named the starter.”

from today's la times

That was some good stuff on Mora and Rosen from the LA Times piece, but I also find it so predictable.  It's like Rosen is that good and knows it, and everyone feels so compelled to bring him back down to earth.  And More ain't that bright, so it's so ripe for him to say stuff just like that.  I predict UCLA wins a game on a Rosen Hail Mary this year. 

More drama in LA.  This time it's Sarkisian slurring his words at a USC event.  Not good for him given that USC hasn't done shit yet with him at the helm. 

I read about that... Getting all sloshy at a big event with the AD & boosters then dropping the F bomb in your speech and having to be cut off and walked off stage probably doesn't enamor one with the powers that be.  Unless you're bringing home trophies anyway.

I read about that... Getting all sloshy at a big event with the AD & boosters then dropping the F bomb in your speech and having to be cut off and walked off stage probably doesn't enamor one with the powers that be.  Unless you're bringing home trophies anyway.

OR, its a WVU event. Then we will praise you, lol.

Ssseeevveeeennnnnn Wwwiiiiinnnnnnnnn Sssssttteeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeevvvvvvvvvvvvvveeee, everybody!

(ETA: I actually think USC is going to be legit and I disagree with a lot of Lockesnow's pessimism, but making fun of Sark will never not be funny.)

I don't think USC will be particularly legit. They've got all the talent in the world but Sark just doesn't run a strong enough program - and is clearly having personal problems managing himself. USC will look absurdly great against some teams and then completely blow it against teams they shouldn't.

Just like last year.

Just like Washington did for 4 years.

Maybe 'legit' is the wrong term, but didn't Lockesnow pick them to go, like, 6-6? I don't think it'll be that bad.  But, as you say, the Seven Win Steve moniker came from somewhere.

I don't think USC will be particularly legit. They've got all the talent in the world but Sark just doesn't run a strong enough program - and is clearly having personal problems managing himself. USC will look absurdly great against some teams and then completely blow it against teams they shouldn't.

Just like last year.

Just like Washington did for 4 years.

Agreed, sark has never beaten Oregon and only beaten Stanford once. Hopefully usc can time sark flaming out to coincide the same season chip Kelly is fired from the NFL.

btw, usc has 78 scholarship players (after awarding walk ons scholarships before that no one talked about scholarships but it was between 65 and 73, iirc) so saying they are back up to Carroll level of scholarships is a bit misleading by the media, when a lot of those are walkons. Remember we ended last season dressing 53 scholarships in the bowl game, so there's a lot of very young players in that complement.

And bluray, I think I said a 5-6 season, 6-6 if we're lucky.

Looking at schedule, I think Arizona state has the most favorable November schedule, they could easily parlay that into a division win if the month is bloody for the rest of the division.

Anyone else following plashkes LA times top 25 countdown? Every team except Colorado from the p12 south is in it with usc the highest at 9th in today's paper. He's got 8 slots left and hasn't included Clemson Stanford or lsu yet, nor Michigan state, auburn, alabama, Baylor, tcu, Ohio st or oregon, be interesting who he leaves out.

Archived