Best episode of the season?

King_Slayer

Actually, this was my favorite episode because it meant the season was over. This has been the bleakest season ever, but after this, things should improve. That's what I tell myself. We knew from day 1 that FTW was coming which cast a pall over any expectations we may have had that some resolution to some of the plot lines would occur. Apparently D&D did see fit to resolve two of the cliffhangers GRRM left us with in Dance. Stannis lost the battle of Winterfell and Mycella died in Dorne. Whether George will do the same in some different manner I have no doubt.

So let's grit our teeth and wait 9 more months until season 6 pops over the horizon. Maybe Winds will be out by then. I hope.

Just be glad this season is behind us.

I don't think Stannis is going to lose at Winterfell in the books. The circumstances are very different in the books, with Stannis having key advantages and no major desertions in the books. D&D have "fast-forwarded" Stannis death, I think. While I'm sure he will not prevail in the end in the books, at Winterfell I suspect he is going to win.

He was leading his army though (like actually being in the first row, something that for reasons known to anyone, he did also in Blackwater). I also guess that a lot of people know his face (he wasn't exactly Mr. Anonymous). I guess that the priority of Ramsey's ninjas would be killing Stannis. Especially when they won the battle so easily, I doubt that they would go killing a bunch of nobodies but not look for Stannis.

I lol'ed when Ramsay simply said 'Well, we're done here." and that's that(except killing that soldier). He wanted that Sansa bad pussy so bad.

1. Hardhome (my 2nd best ever episode after Blackwater), 2. Dance of Dragons, 3. The Gift, 4. Mother's Mercy, 5. The Wars To Come, 6. Sons of the Harpy, 7. High Sparrow, 8. Kill the Boy, 9. The House of Black and White, 10. Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken (imo the worst ever episode of GOT).

I agree, whole heartedly with everyone who's said this was the weakest season so far. Like I said in my OP (I think it was that one), like most of you im sure, I've been a long time fan of the books and I was really critical of the show for a while. I guess in some aspects I still am. With that said though, I can't say I don't enjoy the show and while it's always been FAR from perfect, I still find it enjoyable (usually). The key for me was to "forget" the books and just try to take the show for what it is, plot changes and all - I.e. Try to view it as its own entity. Of course this wasn't easy to do and still isn't but I've found the show much more enjoyable since applying this train of thought to it. So keep this in mind in regards to my original thread starter post.

No one is wrong because it's simply a matter of opinion. I did enjoy this episode though, as I've said, but only in the sense of perceiving it as its own entity, not in relation to the world of ASOIAF. I'm enjoying getting peoples takes though on this and other topics. I'm new to the forum and so far I'm fairly impressed with the knowledge many people clearly exhibit. I've found myself reading threads here almost every day, when I'm bored or on a smoke break at work, since I signed up. It's nice to have somewhere to talk about ASOIAF without having to worry about spoiling something, or a thousand "something's" for that matter. I have a lot of friends and peers who are fans of the show but have never read any of the novels so it's just nice to be able to discuss things without worrying about being the douche who spoils things or confusing people since there are so many plot changes, e.g. - Sansa in WF/marrying Ramsay, no Cat of the Canals or LSH, Mance being burned, Jaime going to Dorne, etc. and that's just a few from this season alone and not to mention missing characters. I just want to see the Greyjoy clan's storyline played out on screen.

Am i the only one who has taken a slightly 'evil' pleasure in watching their unsullied friends reactions to the red wedding/viper fight etc ?

I can remember watching early episodes with my partner, when ned was executed she was SO sure he was going to be rescued, she kept asking me 'is he really dead??'

Yeah, it was pretty much the best in terms of action and some plot thread conclusions.

The problem with the show is that, so long as it still had GRRM's text as its basis, there was some discipline imposed on B&W. Now that there's less of that discipline (and now pretty much none at all going forward), the underlying poorness of the quality of their writing relative to GRRM's is showing through.

Not that they're absolutely terrible - the show's still pretty good as tv shows go. But it's now much more sharkey-jumpey and tv-tropey than it has been in the past.

Now that it's all on them, it's not quite as good as it was. Still worth watching, but lacking the feeling of epic solidity the show had for the first 4 seasons, even despite their inventions-for-convenience.

Hard Home was really the only great episode this year.

The finale was garbage. Like wet garbage outside in a Florida summer. I won't rant about it here but that's my opinion.

^^^^^^ This. Verbatim

Archived