Do your duty.... Or don't? (BOOK & TV SPOILERS)

I think we've just given them too much credit in doubting they'd fail to put a period on the end of a major character's story and accidentally create a cliffhanger. That probably is what happened, and it makes sense that it would happen to their version of Stannis. They may even honestly believe that showing his death would've been "gratuitous," so they instead cut to something integral to the story: Ramsay stabbing to death random soldiers.

If Ramsay is Azor Ahai, and Oathkeeper (that he gets by beating and flaying Brienne) is Lightbringer, then it is more integral to the story to show his battle prowess, than some fake king's death.

GoT published their beautiful death picture of Stannis.

Its quite interesting.

https://m.facebook.com/GameOfThrones/photos/a.93667012733.90163.74133697733/10153031997187734/?type=1&source=48&fs=1

A sword struck the tree and a stag watches from afar unhurt!!

Also footstrps leading away.

Is it hbo's secret confession?

Hmm, maybe, but what about the blood on the tree where the sword has chipped away?

Aren't there rules and regulations that shows have to follow about beheadings?

Only so many or you get an X rating and half the companies pull their sponsorship?

I know it's like that in video games.

Man it would be silly and anti-tragedy for Stannis to live... and what would be the point?

I think it would be terrible for the shows at least, because it has fewer characters and it would look like the producers are afraid to kill anybody at all. Might as well bring Obyrin and Ned back too...no reason to fear death in Westeros because only supporting roles seem to die in the series.

He'll die in the books too, not sure if Mel burns Shireen in hopes of aiding him at the battle or whether she'll do it to resurrect Jon.

GoT published their beautiful death picture of Stannis.

Its quite interesting.

https://m.facebook.com/GameOfThrones/photos/a.93667012733.90163.74133697733/10153031997187734/?type=1&source=48&fs=1

A sword struck the tree and a stag watches from afar unhurt!!

Also footstrps leading away.

Is it hbo's secret confession?

Hm, I like your theory. And at least it is Stannis' Sword in the picture, and not Oathkeeper.

But on the other hand i doubt it very much since it would be the first time, they make a "beautiful death" pic for a character that didn't die in that episode.

I just re-watched the Brienne v Stannis scene. Brienne screams as she starts to come down with her sword and then the shot cuts away to Ramsay. On a second viewing it could appear that Brienne is struck from behind before delivering the killing blow.

I re-watched the scene, slowed it down, paused every second... I don't see anyone behind her. Last shot of her shows the sword very low down and still only her in the shot, she's not struck from behind.

But... looking at Stannis' last shot, his eyes appear to be following something moving behind Brienne. Could be nothing, could be some Boltons or some surviving Baratheon soldiers, who knows.

I have not read through all the foregoing posts. But my opinion is that Stannis in the books was left with 'if you hear rumors of my death' and I think there will be rumors that he died (rumors and talk being very important to the books, but not available to the show), so the show went that 'extra' step, as they are wont to do, and had the 'rumor' that he's dead. Not enough moments in the scene to show that Stannis is truly dead. Especially after Weiss stated that they debated the number of seconds of reel that was left in the downward cut of Ilyn Payne's sword for Eddard Stark's death.

So, no, based on what the show portrayed, I don't think Stannis is dead.

Stannis should be dead but the way they made it showed that there's more to it than just Stannis being dead. I agree that he has nothing left and that it was time for him to go but the fact that they hid it instead of just adding few seconds to show Stannis' head getting beheaded proves that there's something else going on (Respectable exit? lol say that to Ned). Although the part where Stannis mentioned, "Do your duty", it was really just because Stannis thought Brienne was loyal to Renly, I think he had no idea that Brienne is looking for the Stark girls.

It really isn't fair to compare Sandor to Stannis here, the Hound looked like he's still alive because of the books and the theories we derived from them, if we were to only judge him from the show, I think everyone knows he's as good as dead. Stannis' storyline has stretched out of the books (and deviated as well), we really don't know what's going to happen to him after this. Assuming he is dead is just as likely as he is not dead.

Those morons are waiting some insight from george abot how much stannis is doing in WOW.

They want him dead, but they were just not 100% sure George was not going to pull an awsome plot line for him in wow, so they left the window open.

Knowing that George did say the Shireen burning scene was not written yet whe can asume theres a lot of mannis left in WOW, and maybe in ADOS depending on how much Martin had advanced at the point when he made the comment.

Gwendoline Christie was pretty adamant that she killed Stannis and didn't just give him a haircut. She was def directed that way... I'm pretty sure he is dead and he does deserve to be in the show... but if he survives and is not really dead then surely Jon must be, can't have two Deus Ex Machinas surely!

And Liam Cunningham(the actor who plays Davos) said that he and Stephan Dillane had a nice farewell dinner together.

Archived