Iron Bank and Stannis

DireNorthWolf

Since that loan made last season is almost certainly going in default, who does the Iron Bank get to pay that debt? They will have a serious interest next season in backing the one who can keep Westeros stable and assume old debts. Tommen is not looking very powerful now, Stannis dead, Greyjoys a dark horse at best, Dany a complete unknown. Any thoughts?

As Brienne's sword swung down on Stannis I think his last thought was "Shit! I still need to pay back the Iron Bank!" and cartwheeled away from her blade, bringing his down on her, splitting her in half, vertically, right down the middle. Then he rubs some dirt on his leg wound and starts walking North. Wouldn't that be fun :) But really, I think he is alive and there will be more to The iron Bank, and Salador Saan as well (he was paid last season, and mentioned that he has how many ships..500? Hopefully that is resolved too)

Since that loan made last season is almost certainly going in default, who does the Iron Bank get to pay that debt? They will have a serious interest next season in backing the one who can keep Westeros stable and assume old debts. Tommen is not looking very powerful now, Stannis dead, Greyjoys a dark horse at best, Dany a complete unknown. Any thoughts?

With Tyrion in play and his knowledge that the crown already owes the Iron Bank a lot of money as well as his line about them financing their enemies, it is quite possible that he will suggest this to Dany (if she faces financial difficulties). Moreover, there is no viable challenger to the Iron Throne left apart from her.

I bet we never see the iron bank again in the show. It'l just be one of those loose ends that most people never think twice about.

Maybe the IB took out a life insurance policy on Stannis? I dunno. :dunno:

I bet we never see the iron bank again in the show. It'l just be one of those loose ends that most people never think twice about.

This! It's one of the digressions from the books that amounts to nothing and will be consigned with Ilyrio Mopatis, Gendry, the Blackfish, and Edmure Tully to the ashheap of history of forgotten plotlines.

I smell the need for a bailout :D

Seriously, anyone who thought the purpose of the IB was anything more than a fantastic piss take of the modern banking system, in book and show, was overestimating the logical connectedness of the ASoIaF world. It was a plot resource to show human willingness to take on unsustainable debt and the destructive effect that has on social cohesion, nothing more.

I smell the need for a bailout :DSeriously, anyone who thought the purpose of the IB was anything more than a fantastic piss take of the modern banking system, in book and show, was overestimating the logical connectedness of the ASoIaF world. It was a plot resource to show human willingness to take on unsustainable debt and the destructive effect that has on social cohesion, nothing more.

One of the things we could see once Dany or UnJon takes the IT or whoever does, the instituting of usury laws which we had here in the US in each state till the Supreme Court made a ruling in1978,

It's possible the IB might add it to Tommen's Tab. If Cersei continues to claim he's a Baratheon.

One of the things we could see once Dany or UnJon takes the IT or whoever does, the instituting of usury laws which we had here in the US in each state till the Supreme Court made a ruling in1978,

It's possible the IB might add it to Tommen's Tab.

I think you are underestimating how inclusively destructive the last 2 seasons of GoTs are going to be for Westeros. There is not going to be anything for the IB to collect on - and that is if Bravos isn't swallowed by chaos also.

It's possible the IB might add it to Tommen's Tab.

I think you are underestimating how inclusively destructive the last 2 seasons of GoTs are going to be for Westeros. There is not going to be anything for the IB to collect on - and that is if Bravos isn't swallowed by chaos also.

Unless the WWs march into the IB and destroy it and all their records. The IB will continue to demand payments from whoever rules Westeros.

Unless a Dragon burns them down.

They will surely seize the property Dragonstone and leverage the obsidian mines, which could soon be the most valuable asset in Westeros. :dunno:

Excellent point!

It's something that would occur to LF, so probably it would occur to the IB.

It occurs to me that if Dany did destroy the IB with a Dragon, Arya or another FM would immediately be sent to assassinate her.

Also, in the books Storms End and Dragonstone are under siege by forces loyal to Tommen. Whoever claims either, will be surprised when the IB comes knocking for payment.

Unless the WWs march into the IB and destroy it and all their records. The IB will continue to demand payments from whoever rules Westeros.

Unless a Dragon burns them down.

Westeros could, after the Dream of Spring, just go all Iceland and say, 'fuck you global banking system, take your debt and shove it. We refuse to accept it.'

What is the IB going to do? Exactly like what can the global economy really do about Iceland giving them the finger and decoupling? Nothing.

The only reason banks manage to control people with debt, is because people believe that the banks credit is intrinsically important to their lives. Break down that illusion and banks are pretty powerless. Of course, IRL, ATMs may stop working and people may start stealing to eat - but life itself does not require a banking system. Westeros doesn't even have ATMS, so seriously, what can the IB do if the country descends into barbaric chaos?

Westeros could, after the Dream of Spring, just go all Iceland and say, 'fuck you global banking system, take your debt and shove it. We refuse to accept it.'What is the IB going to do? Exactly like what can the global economy really do about Iceland giving them the finger and decoupling? Nothing.The only reason banks manage to control people with debt, is because people believe that the banks credit is intrinsically important to their lives. Break down that illusion and banks are pretty powerless. Of course, IRL, ATMs may stop working and people may start stealing to eat - but life itself does not require a banking system. Westeros doesn't even have ATMS, so seriously, what can the IB do if the country descends into barbaric chaos?

Yes, they could. But you would have to have the right leaders to do it and not afraid they might be assassinated by FM...or in our world the CIA.

It depends who's owed money and who has the power to collect it. The IB or leg breakers like Sopranos

like to keep it in the HBO family.

Yes, they could. But you would have to have the right leaders to do it and not afraid they might be assassinated by FM...or in our world the CIA.

Or just no leaders - no ruling class to turn to when the dream of spring occurs, just some common folk pulling themselves out of the rubble. The IB would have to write the loan off entirely then, wouldn't it?

What about Stannis' ships that carried the wildlings? A fleet of at least 30 IIRC. What about the supplies, men, and support that they could've offered to the siege of Winterfell? Why did Stannis make no attempt to contact and coordinate with them? Why is Stannis made to look incompetent several times per episode at the end when he is renowned as one of the best military commanders in Westeros???

Archived