Iron Bank and Stannis

DireNorthWolf

Or just no leaders - no ruling class to turn to when the dream of spring occurs, just some common folk pulling themselves out of the rubble. The IB would have to write the loan off entirely then, wouldn't it?

It's a nice dream. But history shows that if people are down and out they look to a "strong man" and scapegoats to blame.

If the IB and Bravos is physically unaffected by events in the show or in the books, they will back whoever will promise to pay them.

IB has a nice property for sale at the isle of Dragonstone, for anyone interested, selling under value.

lol!

Likely to be mined for suddenly rare and valuable Dragonglass.

Needed to protect your baby.

Yes, they could. But you would have to have the right leaders to do it and not afraid they might be assassinated by FM...or in our world the CIA.

Just gotta say on this, I'm not sure the FM are like Bravosi CIA, that work for the IB. The FM may have more of a relationship with the CotF than they do with bravos ruling class, tunnels, everywhere under the world.

...but meanwhile, back in the real world Iceland's Economy is being called Miraculous for getting control of their Banks

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2015/06/17/the-miraculous-story-of-iceland/

Sometimes, collapse is required for new growth. I actually think most times - if Ireland decoupled and let it's banks collapse, the country may well reform itself and start growing in a decade or so - just leaving the debt for the IMF to sort out with the US.

Re the books/show, we have no idea how much Westerosi debt payment is required for the IBs stability. It is possible that if Westeros economy totally collapses, the IB may also collapse.

Just gotta say on this, I'm not sure the FM are like Bravosi CIA, that work for the IB. The FM may have more of a relationship with the CotF than they do with bravos ruling class, tunnels, everywhere under the world.

If you read the books, including, The World of Ice and Fire, you will see that the FM started as slaves of the Valryians and may had a hand in the destruction of Valyria. They were among the escaped slaves that helped found the Free City of Bravos.

They have no connection to the CotF.

Sometimes, collapse is required for new growth. I actually think most times - if Ireland decoupled and let it's banks collapse, the country may well reform itself and start growing in a decade or so - just leaving the debt for the IMF to sort out with the US.Re the books/show, we have no idea how much Westerosi debt payment is required for the IBs stability. It is possible that if Westeros economy totally collapses, the IB may also collapse.

The IB lends money all over Planetos not just Westeros. They can always come in with Sellswords, etc. and claim lands as. belonging to them as the Andals did!

If you read the books, including, The World of Ice and Fire, you will see that the FM started as sloes of the Valryians and may had a hand in the destruction of Valyria. They were among the escaped slaves that helped in the find the Free City of Bravos.

They have no connection to the CotF.

Yea, I know they were escaped salves from Valyria - but they tunnelled deep into the earth and came across magic first. The CotF have also been tunnelling all over the world.

I think the IB is actually pro slavery - it needs the revenue. It just pretends it isn't in Bravos. Otherwise, why haven't the Bravosi tried to change Essos before Dany? They've had hundreds of years.

The IB lends money all over Planetos not just Westeros. They can always come in with Sellswords, etc. and claim lands as. belonging to them as the Andals did!

Ha ha, they diversify.

Yea, I know they were escaped salves from Valyria - but they tunnelled deep into the earth and came across magic first. The CotF have also been tunnelling all over the world.I think the IB is actually pro slavery - it needs the revenue. It just pretends it isn't in Bravos. Otherwise, why haven't the Bravosi tried to change Essos before Dany? They've had hundreds of years.

The IB and Bravosi are definitely anti-slavery for Bravos. The rest of the world, like our world, hard to say.

Depends where their investments are.

The CotF were in many locations in Planetos but the only tunneling the CotF we can be sure about is where Bran is.

Tunneling and unexplained fire is associated with the FM.

How much of Planetos really has debt paying civilisation established? Slavers bay? The Western side of Essos and Westeros is about it - the rest of the planet is full of primitive and barbaric peoples.

How much of Planetos really has debt paying civilisation established? Slavers bay? The Western side of Essos and Westeros is about it - the rest of the planet is full of primitive and barbaric peoples.

Whoever borrows.

We know in the books Westeros and Pentos and many other of the cities in and around Slaver's Bay do business with the IB. Even the Iron Islands and China's stand in---Yi-Ti might.

Whoever borrows.

We know in the books Westeros and Pentos and many other of the cities in and around Slaver's Bay do business with the IB. Even the Iron Islands and China's stand in---Yi-Ti might.

Not if Yi-Ti is like real world China - they will be buying all of the IB gold, waiting for it to collapse :)

Not if Yi-Ti is like real world China - they will be buying all of the IB gold, waiting for it to collapse :)

I'm not making a real world one for one comparison. Yi-Ti is a fantastical version China.

Gold value has always fluctuated.

But the point is whoever borrows from the IB, owes them and

"the IB always get there money back, one way or another" --Tywin Lannister aka Charles Dance

What about Stannis' ships that carried the wildlings? A fleet of at least 30 IIRC. What about the supplies, men, and support that they could've offered to the siege of Winterfell? Why did Stannis make no attempt to contact and coordinate with them? Why is Stannis made to look incompetent several times per episode at the end when he is renowned as one of the best military commanders in Westeros???

Weren't they transporting the Wildings in the show?

The simple answer re Stannis's portrayal is there is not enough time to show him as we see him in the books.

Though I thought his taking of the Wildings was awesome, as was the seige at the Blackwster. I don't think anyone came away thinking he was incompetent as a commander.

He was a driven man believing in his own divine right to rule and deluded by Mel into thinking he was the savior, in pursuit of this he killed everyone who loved him.

But if he has the same outcome in the books, then it's a moot point.

"the IB always get there money back, one way or another" --Tywin Lannister aka Charles Dance

And the Nights Watch has always been at war with the wildlings :)

I've no doubt Tywin believes what he says and, all things being equal, it is a rule hat would stand. I just don't think all things are going to be equal, or the same, or what is expected, at the end of this saga.

Archived