I think I know where the show is trying to go with stannis

Stag_legion

I know a lot people think he's dead on the show, but I am pretty sure stannis is alive, so much so that when I first saw the episode I was never hit with the feeling "OMG stannis died", when I saw that scene and the cut away to ramsay, I knew he was left alive.

All that aside, I think D&D are trying to do a stannis redemption arc next season and that's why they decided to force the shireen burning and made stannis a complete fanatic this season, then when he cuts ties with melisandre they want to go for the redemption arc.

Its clear D&D don't and can't do moral complexity right, Remember Jaime and his extra villainous (killing his cousin) bits on the show in the first two seasons, then the white washing in the next seasons. Its the same thing with stannis I think. They have made stannis less sympathetic so far so they can exaggerate things when he becomes a "good guy'.

In the books I feel like stannis has remained more or less consistent. He's been a grey morally complex character since the beginning and he still is and will likely remain that way. but now he's in a position where he does things that make him more likeable to the reader although he's the same guy. D&D know this from what GRRM has told them and they interpret it as stannis going good vs stannis being bad before.

So yeah be prepared for Stannis professing his regrets about everything (Renly, Melisandre, lord of light, shireen) to brienne early next season.

Look I would like Stannis to still be alive, but I doubt it and still a little pissed at what happened. However even if Brienne kept him alive, why? He has no power, no army, no one close to him anymore. I felt this was Stannis's moment to shine in s5 and the Battle of Ice but felt in a way D&D took that away from the character. What type of House would support Stannis now? Yes he has a claim, but has no army at all and loses most of all his battles. No very good bet!

So even though I would love to believe he is still alive, I simply cant see him being part of the Brienne Pod Odyssey and wherever that goes to. So House Baratheon is done I'm afraid as Gendry is still rowing that boat to who knows where, and cant see who in there right mind would legitimize Gendry or support him.

The only thing I thought when Brienne beheaded Stannis is that from her position she should have swinged the sword from left to right rather than right to left.

He is dead and broken in the spirit, what can his living body accomplish?

The only interesting plot that I would see for him is that he suddenly grows mad and opens the door to the ice walkers "if I can't have it, nobody else should".

Look I would like Stannis to still be alive, but I doubt it and still a little pissed at what happened. However even if Brienne kept him alive, why? He has no power, no army, no one close to him anymore. I felt this was Stannis's moment to shine in s5 and the Battle of Ice but felt in a way D&D took that away from the character. What type of House would support Stannis now? Yes he has a claim, but has no army at all and loses most of all his battles. No very good bet!

So even though I would love to believe he is still alive, I simply cant see him being part of the Brienne Pod Odyssey and wherever that goes to. So House Baratheon is done I'm afraid as Gendry is still rowing that boat to who knows where, and cant see who in there right mind would legitimize Gendry or support him.

Lol, poor Gendry - I'd almost forgotten him. Perhaps he's going to row all the way round the world and wash up on shore next season, look at his surroundings and exclaim "oh shit!" as he realises he's back at Dragonstone.

The only thing I thought when Brienne beheaded Stannis is that from her position she should have swinged the sword from left to right rather than right to left.

He is dead and broken in the spirit, what can his living body accomplish?

The only interesting plot that I would see for him is that he suddenly grows mad and opens the door to the ice walkers "if I can't have it, nobody else should".

That is truly scary, especially considering that my theory might put Stannis at the Wall, having put on the Black.

I think they're going to give Stannis's role in the TWOW to the Bolton's. GRRM only has Asha and Theon as POV's around Winterfell and I can't imagine where they could go with one of them in Bolton's Winterfell. But one of them could act as a witness to Stannis's descent into madness in Winterfell. I love Stannis, but I've always felt he would take a dark turn. He lost something to cast those shadows, it has to come around again before his story is over.

D&D clearly love their sadistic rapist Ramsay, so I suspect they will keep his plot armor tightly fastened for as long as they can.

I don't know if Stannis will survive, but I hope that book Stannis won't meet the same fate as his show counterpart. In the books, he has the support of the Northern mountain clans, house Glover, house Mormont, Mors Crowfood Umber, and he has fake Arya in his hands at the end of DwD, which gives him the upper hand on Boltons.

He could be dead. He screwed up, and has lost everyone/thing, so it'd make sense in his story arc..

It would also make sense if he made up for it, and started making well reasoned logical decisions that don't include burning your child. Both could complete his arc, but with the way the scene cut away I would guess he lives.

He will help Sansa and Theon unite the North.

Stannis Lives.

I think Brienne hits the tree and spares him. Throws him over her horse and takes him to WF to trade to the Boltons for Sansa. Meanwhile they run into Sansa and Reek. Stannis tells them to retreat to his camp. Could be wishful thinking but I cant think of any other realistic scenario.

The whole Northern storyline in the show is a clusterfuck, compared to the books. (but thats another story)

I dont see where Stannis goes from here though... Back to the wall, Manderly's introduced (?) Wildlings (I doubt it)

Stannis Lives.

I think Brienne hits the tree and spares him. Throws him over her horse and takes him to WF to trade to the Boltons for Sansa. Meanwhile they run into Sansa and Reek. Stannis tells them to retreat to his camp. Could be wishful thinking but I cant think of any other realistic scenario.

The whole Northern storyline in the show is a clusterfuck, compared to the books. (but thats another story)

I dont see where Stannis goes from here though... Back to the wall, Manderly's introduced (?) Wildlings (I doubt it)

It'd be more realistic if they ran into Ned, Benjen, Rhaegar and Gandalf on the way to Winterfell than it would be for Brienne to spare Stannis

Stannis Lives.

The Boltons would never make that trade. They need Sansa to legitimize their claim to the north as well as their claim to Winterfell. Stands gives them nothing valuable at all. The just don't care about him at this point.

As a Stan fan, I hope and believe he is dead. The directors clearly were never happy with him and want to move on to other characters (like Bran). The less screen time they give him the better ( in their mind.)

Remember she swore a sacred vow to kill Stannis? That is as much her duty ( in her mind) as saving Sansa is. Oath keeper remember?

May be wishful thinking on my part, I even said as much. Yet if he really was dead then why not have him die onscreen? Jons 'death' was more definitive, and yet everyone believes he's still alive. Im just not 100% sold, yet.

Yes Brienne swore the vow, but when she comes across Stannis all she sees is a broken man, defeated and injured. Where's the 'honour' in killing him, especially when Sansa is her main priority. Oathkeeper.

The show normally relishes these moments, but just before Brienne lands the final blow we cut to Ramsey in a similar situation. Ramsey is dealing with a wounded enemy. Ramsey kills him.

Is this to mirror the situation and suggest that's how Brienne dealt with Stannis? Then why not show it?

80% chance Stannis is dead.

20% Brienne thinks of a use for him - though I can't think what.

Archived