I think I know where the show is trying to go with stannis

Stag_legion

Every one keeps saying there is nothing left for Stannis to do, but I want to know if this is how he goes out what was the whole point? Why did all this happen why did The flames tell Mel to go to Dragonstone? Stannis is alive, he still has kings blood running through his veins he still has much to give. Stannis's Kings blood could still wake the dragons from stone. I think Stannis could still be a hero, just not the way he thought.

In an interview about the finale, Gwendoline Christie said that there are still are Baratheon troops in the North, the ones that deserted him, and said (most likely jokingly) that Brienne could command them.

Could this also be a reason for Brie to spare Stannis? You think they could still follow him? But how does she even know this? Just the fact that Christie mentioned this made me wonder.

I think Stannis is alive. It's a Jaime/Catelyn situation again.

This.

Except, the Baratheon soldiers didn't desert Stannis. He ordered them away.

If the show is remotely following ASOIAF at all, then Stannis must surely have something up his sleeve in regards to Winterfell. We saw enough scenes of Stannis staring at those maps and soldier markers.

Stannis could very well be tricking the Boltons into believing they have the upper hand. Afterall, Stannis did retreat to the woods following the first battle, as he knew he'd be able to fight another day, with the larger half of his army.

This theory was discussed in this review of S05E10 - https://youtu.be/ks9VeB5vI70

But then again, Benioff and Weiss have proven themselves to be total hacks, and the show is a piece of crap.

I think Stannis' final charge was D&D's pathetic attempt at showing a desperate and broken man charging forward on his last leg.

"Go ahead, do your duty" without any defensiveness towards her statements of Renly the one true king.. not even a snicker or roll of the eyes would indicate to me that he's like "fuck it".

I believe Stannis got the chop.. and if he didn't that's such BS considering how big Briennes hard on was for his head. No pun intended.

Here´s the 3 problems with that theory...

- it´s D&D

- Stannis almost died and did an Hurin heroic suicide charge, not a way to do things if you have a backup plan

- they have 2 seasons left... 20 episodes...

but...

Stannis can really hold his own in battle. He is a hardened and experienced warrior and if this is true, he forsaw that he was placing himself in danger, but would be able to fight his way out of it (which he did). And I think you might've missed this:

But then again, Benioff and Weiss have proven themselves to be total hacks, and the show is a piece of crap.

It would be SO easy to do. It would be cool. It would be so awesome. It would be an amazing twist that the Unsullied would not see coming at all. And perhaps the show might run longer than seven seasons (seeing as that's what the HBO brass really want).

But I'm not getting my hopes up.

Benioff and Weiss are pure amateurs and revel in trolling ASOIAF fans.

Anytime I see D&D in an interview or something they appear to be burn outs that are sick of the show and just want to finish it ASAP. They seem bothered by fans and have this vibe to them like they just get irritated when people ask questions about GOT.

Season 5 it really shows how burned out they are and how much they dont give shit about the show anymore.

Anytime I see D&D in an interview or something they appear to be burn outs that are sick of the show and just want to finish it ASAP. They seem bothered by fans and have this vibe to them like they just get irritated when people ask questions about GOT.

Season 5 it really shows how burned out they are and how much they dont give shit about the show anymore.

Why don't they quit and let someone else take over? Seriously, if you want to do something big you got to be all in or get out. There is a ton of great talent on the show, from the actors, to the music, to the special effects, its all being held down because of these two morons. What a waste.

Why don't they quit and let someone else take over? Seriously, if you want to do something big you got to be all in or get out. There is a ton of great talent on the show, from the actors, to the music, to the special effects, its all being held down because of these two morons. What a waste.

Particularly if they don't seem to like the remaining books, and where the story is going. And they insist doing their fan fiction stuff, shocking, gratuitous murders and rapes. Find someone more compatible with GRRM style.

No, it's counterpoint. Just like how on Sansa's first wedding night Tyrion is a gentleman but on her second Ramsay does you know what. That's why they cut to what Ramsay does to the wounded... because it's not what Brienne will do.

Same thing happened in the books with Arya at the Red Wedding. GRRM fakes her death with trick wording...

You never know with D&D logic really.
In the books if stannis was killed and his army crushed, that would also end the northern rebellion. The only reason some northern houses have rebelled in the first place is because they could gather around stannis when he was moving south.

Without stannis rebelling against the boltons is simply too risky. Even though most northern houses want vengeance against boltons, they can't really be sure about the motives of other northern houses. One house can easily feign their intention to rebel against the boltons only to betray the other houses in exchange for more lands when the siding with the boltons. That's what the karstarks were going to do even with stannis, things would have been much worse without stannis.

So in a realistic plot progression stannis is necessary for a successful northern rebellion against the boltons, but the show has never shied away from illogical plot, so who knows. I personally think stannis is alive on the show because how the scene was done, but anything is possible.

No, it's counterpoint. Just like how on Sansa's first wedding night Tyrion is a gentleman but on her second Ramsay does you know what. That's why they cut to what Ramsay does to the wounded... because it's not what Brienne will do.

Same thing happened in the books with Arya at the Red Wedding. GRRM fakes her death with trick wording...

that's well spotted.

Stannis is dead for opposite reason Jon will live/revive. Stannis's story arc is done. His arc was a man who'd do anything to get his throne up to and including murdering his own daughter as a sacrifice to a foreign god. He quickly discovers it was for nothing, loses his wife, most of his army. He hates himself for what he did. He accepts his death gracefully. That's the end of his story. "Do your duty" is Stannis acknowledging that he doesn't deserve to live because of his crimes.

It would be shitty to bring him back so he can try to worm his way back.

Stannis is dead for opposite reason Jon will live/revive. Stannis's story arc is done. His arc was a man who'd do anything to get his throne up to and including murdering his own daughter as a sacrifice to a foreign god. He quickly discovers it was for nothing, loses his wife, most of his army. He hates himself for what he did. He accepts his death gracefully. That's the end of his story. "Do your duty" is Stannis acknowledging that he doesn't deserve to live because of his crimes.

It would be shitty to bring him back so he can try to worm his way back.

Shitty is how they have done his entire storyline this season. In the books everything involving stannis is building up to an epic showdown with the boltons which is bound to change the political landscape. On the show though stannis basically marches down south and dies, nothing changes, boltons are still in power and the north does not exist besides the boltons. Now that right there is shitty! Bring stannis back could not make things worse than it is right now.

I could see Stannis as the new Lord Commander of Night's Watch once Jon is revived. Melisandre should be burned as a sacrifice to her God if she truly believes (oh, and King's blood is not necessary for reviving Jon, remember Thoros & Beric). Also remember the burnings on the beach of Selyse's brother.

Oh, and Stannis is not and never was a King, nor has King's blood, unlike Gendry who has Robert's blood.

One reason to let Stannis live and atone is to help plan battle against the Whie Walkers. as the most seasoned military mind in Westeros.

I could see Stannis as the new Lord Commander of Night's Watch once Jon is revived. Melisandre should be burned as a sacrifice to her God if she truly believes (oh, and King's blood is not necessary for reviving Jon, remember Thoros & Beric). Also remember the burnings on the beach of Selyse's brother.

Oh, and Stannis is not and never was a King, nor has King's blood, unlike Gendry who has Robert's blood.

One reason to let Stannis live and atone is to help plan battle against the Whie Walkers. as the most seasoned military mind in Westeros.

It doesn't work that way. Stannis was king by right (de jure) because he was next in line given the fact that Robert had no legitimate male offsprings (bastards don't count unless legitamized by the King). Also Stannis and Robert had the same blood. Stannis Has king blood both because he is Robert's brother but also because he is descended from Stormkings and has a little Targayen. You really can't have more kingly blood than stannis.

Stannis could legitimize Gendry as heir of course, but even then Gendry's claim would come after Stannis' and Stannis could choose to demote him further down the line if he has sons of his own at one point.

Shitty is how they have done his entire storyline this season. In the books everything involving stannis is building up to an epic showdown with the boltons which is bound to change the political landscape. On the show though stannis basically marches down south and dies, nothing changes, boltons are still in power and the north does not exist besides the boltons. Now that right there is shitty! Bring stannis back could not make things worse than it is right now.

The fact is, battles are expensive and HBO didn't want to give us a true battle at Winterfell. A few CGI shots, a few goring by Ramsey, and the job is done.

My feeling is that in books, Stannis southerner army is nearly destroyed by the cold, weakened, and will be finished by the battle. Only his northerners allies will give him the victory in the battle against the Boltons & Freys. And once Rickon will be found, Stannis influence in the North will be greatly reduced. If Jon is revealed as Azor Ahai Reborn, Stannis will be done politically on every sides. I suppose HBO will find a way next year to recover Rickon and bring down the Boltons. Brienne (and Stannis) could help that, as she swore to protect and assist Cat's children.

Stannis may want to exact revenge against Melisandre for leading him into all these murders. If Melisandre herself is dead, possibly by Stannis himself, yeah, I could see him take the Black and lead the Night Watch after Jon. Or he may have to go north of the Wall, following Brienne, in an attempt to find and help Bran too.

As much as I don't like Brienne, she just isn't that pathetic. She has a stern code of honor and duty, much like Stannis, and I think she will see in Stannis all the things she expects from a king..bravery, duty, honesty. respect.. all of the things she lives by.

And in that scene I feel like she expected him to degrade her or insult his brother, as it was the end for him and he could have parted with hurtful words, but he showed her nothing but respect, which men don't do.

Archived