I think I know where the show is trying to go with stannis

Stag_legion

To all those people saying Stannis is alive: why?

He is probably close to death anyway from his infection from that slash.

And he's alive just because his death wasn't depicted onscreen? Lysa's death wasn't depicted onscreen either, but no one seriously thinks she is still alive.

Brienne swore an oath to kill Stannis. A solemn oath. Even if he isn't as much of a monster as she envisioned, do you think she'd betray her own "honor" and be an oathbreaker like Jamie "Kingslayer" Lannister?

yeah cause we really need confirmation about someone's death if they fall down hundreds of feet.

about the infection from the wound, if the show was consistent about this stuff brienne would have died from an infection because of her battle with the hound, yet she is fine, not a scratch on her! This show really isn't that consistent, they just follow plot points.

If he is alive still (which I doubt) I don't think it's because Brienne decided to spare him. I think it's because Pod stepped in.

The show made a point of having us see Pod picking up a big axe before the battle takes place, yet we don't see him on camera at all when Brienne finds and confronts Stannis. It's not beyond the realm of possibility that in episode 1 of season 6, we could see Pod blocking Brienne's strike and suggesting that Stannis could be of some use to them alive in their quest to save Sansa. This could then follow on to some redemption storyline where Stannis does his part to help save someone elses daughter out of the guilt he feels for executing his own.

The other possibility is that Pod stops Brienne simply because he sees Sansa and Reek in the distance.

They focused on Pod getting his axe because the axe is a very important thing for Pod. It's Tyrion's axe actually, remember?

And Pod sneaking up on Brienne doesn't make much sense. He's her squire now. I think he would have even tried to stop her verbally.

So, I think Stannis is really dead.

They focused on Pod getting his axe because the axe is a very important thing for Pod. It's Tyrion's axe actually, remember?

And Pod sneaking up on Brienne doesn't make much sense. He's her squire now. I think he would have even tried to stop her verbally.

So, I think Stannis is really dead.

^agree

I think he's dead too,his whole arc the last few episodes just perfectly led to (t)his end.

He sacrificed/lost everything he holds dear or has a obligatory duty to protect (talking about his wife here;with marriage he kind of vowed to protect her)

I guess he knew too that there is no way for him to come out of this alive.He thought himself the savior because Melisandre told him over and over.But as he heard that the red witch left him too,i swear you can see in his face,that all hope for him is gone and all he did was for naught.

For me that is the whole point of Stannis charakter (at least on the show)

He holds his duty and/or right above all his other merits.

He has the RIGHT to sit on the IronThrone even if he would't want it.And he has the DUTY as "Azor Ahai" to protect the realm.He even sacrifices his daughter,arguably the only human being alive he really loves because he thinks its his destiny to save humankind.

All this is proofed wrong in episodes 8-10 and culminates in his red witch abandoning him too.

So there is no point in him beeing alive in the show if you ask me.

Sorry for this long post and my bad english^^kind of wrote myself into fury

tl;dr

I learned to love his final moments after watching the "battle" of Winterfell over and over again,and his recent storyarc is purely there to set up his dramatic and epic death...Having him survive would just be pathetic at this point,sadly he's gone.

But seriously...the way he sees his doom coming for him on horseback and still is stubborn...the way he kind of smirks in the face of death and draws his sword,without another word or speech,and walks kingly like a Mannis...epic TVMoment IMHO :bowdown:

^ Liked reading your post. :cheers:

And besides, I understand that people look for that very last straw in regard of their favorite character. I'd do the same if it was Tyrion.

<lol> The last episode made me an Unsullied too. I only know the sample chapters.

As it is I expect the only bloodlines to amek it out of this will be lannister and stark. Honestly thought I can see both tyrion and jamie dieing. It does come with one major problem- we are left with one of the four major families without a part too play with 20 epsidoes at the very least left. It's weird and very akward. I mean I guess Davos still exists and can go find gendry but who would take him? Daenrys? Cersie? Nah. Littlefinger might?

My theory about Stannis future.

Brienne will spare Stannis and even help him to not bleed to death.
After them and Pod would find Theon and Sansa and run out for all.
Sansa will seduce Stannis who will play along Hardyng plot of AWoW and marry him (show version of Alys Karstark).
Stannis and Davos will kill Melisandre after she resurrect Jon Snow.
Then Team!Wall will learn that Rickon was seen in White Harbour.
Theon and Davos will travel to White Harbour when Wyman Manderly - thin, shrinking, ancient man will reveal that he sent Rickon to the Wall but ship was wrecked on a Skagos.
Theon and Davos will travel there to find out Skagos is ruled by Euron Greyjoy who hold Rickon as a ward.

There's also variant where Stannis after wedding night left his bride with her unded brother to find Melisandre who escaped Wall and three episodes later will appear in Asshair. In this variant Tormund would obviously accompany One True King all the way.

Why is he still alive?

Because the show very rarely shirks an opportunity to show a sword killing someone.

They easily could have just shown Brienne putting the sword through his heart.

They could have even included some on-the-nose symbolism by cutting to his flaming heart battle flag after he got stabbed.

They didn't do any of that.

The only other times I can remember the show not directly showing a death following a confrontation are Syrio Forel and the Hound, and plenty of people figure they're both still alive in some fashion.

I don't count Lysa because Lysa is definitely dead, for sure.

Especially after watching Arya gouge out Meryn Trant's eyeballs, I just don't buy that the show would cut away from someone getting their head cut away.

The bigger question is, can a Valyrian steel sword cut clean through a tree trunk?

I think it would make for cool TV to show that happening.

Trant's death wasn't half as sick as the voyeuristic delight D&D must have gotten from putting those two underage girls to the lash.

I just pray Stannis is dead, they've done enough damage to him already. I say Stannis lives in the books and will rule from Winterfell. D&D will give his storyline to the Bolton's as they hate Stannis and enjoy sexually humiliating little girls.

If he is alive I could imagine him somehow.. i dont know how.. would be a miracle.. taking the iron throne.. then it would leave you with the idea of him getting it but at what cost? He lost everything else.

Maybe Jon and the wildings can get him there.. but I think it's too late for that.

Oh Stannis.

I would tend to agree with Ser Klausewits that Stannis being dead at this point certainly works with the way the character had been built up on the show. It might not a replication of the book character but honestly I felt that he's gradually gotten better each season and was the highlight of this season. Early on in season 2 he was IMHO a bit too one dimensional and cartoonishly ruthless, to try and get the audience to pull for Tyrion at the backwater I spose . This season though I honestly felt he was the best attempt at a truly conflicted character the show has had along with one of the most subtle performances on the show from SD.

The earlier Stannis gave the impression he was fighting more for ego but by this point he doesn't really even seem to want the crown on those terms anymore, its more a question of him believing its his duty to go after it and be the Son of Light and that such duty is a higher moral calling than even his family. Obviously a highly questionable viewpoint and one I think he comes to realise so by the end(hence not commenting on Renly being a usperer, realising it wasn't a justftcaion for killing him) but if it is an end its one with a good deal of dignity.

That said I can't get around the edit as it does just seem so out of character for the show, showing someone dying doesn't need to be gratuitous or demeaning as we saw with Ned in season 1 and generally it just seems strange to cut away from such an important scene to such an unimportant one.

I can see the logic in the OP's argument as well, whilst show Strannis was IMHO as good a conflicted character as they've managed there is clearly a tendency to have characters who've moved from performing questionable acts to "good" ones have some form of redemptive arc. Equally I can see his point about the Pink Letter, you simply could not get the same impact onscreen with that as you could actually showing Stannis to supposedly be dead, even just showing the battle being lost wouldn't achieve that IMHO as he's already come though that once with Blackwater.

Really though it becomes very difficult to predict what role an alive Stannis take in the story because we don't know where the story as a whole is going. The simplest thing I spose would be to have him out for revenge and kill Mel but really is that especially interesting? Davos could surely perform the same role. Having him just carry on as he was would IMHO feel cheap after that scene as well so it would need some change rather than just looking for more forces to take the crown with. The best suggestion I'v heard would be that if the whole Others/Lord of Light conflict turns out to be a "Giants in the sandpit" affair Stannis at this point would make for a great character to combat both of them obviously having more reason than anyone else to question there motives.

If he is alive I could imagine him somehow.. i dont know how.. would be a miracle.. taking the iron throne.. then it would leave you with the idea of him getting it but at what cost? He lost everything else.

Maybe Jon and the wildings can get him there.. but I think it's too late for that.

Oh Stannis.

Yeah, I personally think Stannis winning the throne but at great personal cost is most fitting and in line with how GRRM's story has been so far. Without an offspring stannis might legitimize some of Robert's remaining bastards to continue the baratheon line, but he and others might decide that the next king would be elected by a counsel, not really democracy since the small folk still won't have a say, but it will help pick better suited Kings. Jon Snow might be the elected King to be next in line after stannis.

I'm not sure that Stannis is dead either, Brienne did look doubtful.

I'm thinking that Stannis, Pod and Brienne find Sansa and Theon. Sansa and Theon explain that Rickon and Bran are not dead, and Stannis will legitmize Gendry as a Baratheon (as he knows he will die, but doesn't want the Baratheon name to die). Send Sansa and Theon to Davos at the wall for safety, with the decree to find Gendry. Then Brienne, Pod and Stannis will take Davos role in the hunt for Rickon.

Silly I know, but hey i'm an optimist.

Oh Stannis.

IF, he was to take the iron throne I imagine it would be with the wildlings, north, vale and riverlands behind him.

More likely, he'll die redeeming himself by putting Sansa or Rickon back in winterfell.

Archived