Season 6 prediction: The Return of the Greatjon

Udvarnoky

Since he's at the Wall at the end of Season 5, Davos is well-positioned to fulfill his book role to retrieve Rickon Stark. In the show universe, Rickon and Osha were meant to find refuge at the Last Hearth as opposed to Skagos.

There's a number of reasons to believe this will happen. First of all it would allow for Greatjon Umber to assume some of the purpose of Wyman Manderly in the book - a sensible change, since the only reference to House Manderly comes from the HBO lore featurettes. Additionally, the actor they had for Umber in Season 1 was awesome, and Bryan Cogman made a point of noting that Umber is alive and free in the show's canon (along with the tease to "keep watching").

The uprising of the northern houses against the Boltons has been explicitly set up early this season from the mouth of Roose Bolton. Defeating Stannis does nothing to mollify that threat, and losing Sansa brings it back to the fore.

The only piece that doesn't fit is how Davos would even come to learn about Rickon. Sansa could theoretically get that information to the Wall somehow, but a more likely scenario is that Davos would simply ally himself with the enemies of House Bolton and stumble upon Rickon as a consequence.

While we may not get Frey pies and the circumstances will be necessarily very different around Winterfell due to the death of Stannis and the absence of Theon, I'm convinced we'll get some incarnation of the tension between Bolton and the other northern houses this year. I also think we'll see the return of Riverrun and House Frey (remember, David Bradley said that D&D intended to invite him back). And that would be a good excuse to bring back certain Tullys as well (Edmure, the Blackfish).

It's taken three years, but I really think we'll see certain consequences of the Red Wedding we've been anticipating. What do you guys think?

I don't know who can ask Davos to go u on such quest.

I think the North will move with Rickon already on their side, and Davos - together with Brienne - will be those triggering the rebellion by bringing Sansa in a safe place.

Perhaps I'm dreaming.

I don't know who can ask Davos to go u on such quest.

I think the North will move with Rickon already on their side, and Davos - together with Brienne - will be those triggering the rebellion by bringing Sansa in a safe place.

Perhaps I'm dreaming.

I think Brienne could filfil this role on behalf of Sansa's orders. Theoretically, if Brienne spared Stannis, he could still try to claim Kingship by rallying the Northmen (with Sansa as some sort of White Queen (tv series)). Ser Davos and Sansa would be right there alongside him, it'd be the safest route, and Brienne the Beauty would go off to find little Rick.

Alternatively, Jon arises as TPTWP, is certified the One True King, rallies the Northmen and the Wildlings (with Bran rallying the CotF), with Sansa as the rally, with Stannis as the tactician, Davos as a general. Brienne would finally find her worthy lord to serve and be the first woman CotKG.

Okies, rants are over. :P

Wendel Manderly appeared at the Red Wedding and every season has had a mention of White Harbor. I'm not so foolish as to believe it will mean anything but it hasn't just been in featurettes.

Ideally, Brienne didn't kill Stannis. She perhaps wishes to use him to barter for Sansa (Does she even know Sansa was married?)

Sansa and Theon show up and Sansa accepts Brienne's service under the condition she free Stannis.

Stannis has truly entered new territory as he's seen how badly he's been played by Mel. They flee to the wall where she's resurrected Jon who is now freed from his vows. Stannis kills her, lamenting in all he's done under her influence. He either takes the black as penance or decides to die putting a Stark back in Winterfell and possibly the Iron Throne.

They rally the north and easily defeat the Bolton's with the Vale's men. While they drum up the rest of the Northern support, Littlefinger sneaks Sansa into Riverrun where the Blackfish and BWB slaughtered whatever Frey the Crown gave it too. One look, BF see's a Tully and raises the Direwolf.

Jamie would be sent to negotiate, denying Cersei to her face in light of their dead daughter. Which is where it would be interesting. So close to the end, how would his negotiating be different? Would Brienne be able to convince him to join the Westerlands with their might?

Basically, Sansa, Theon, Stannis, Davos, Brienne, Pod and Jon form the rebel alliance/fellowship of the ring

I'm just spitballing on 2 hours of sleep. Who knows how Dorne and the Iron Islands fit into all this. Is Trystane Aegon? When's Dany invading and all that Jazz.

I was hoping Greatjon would take the part of Manderly this season. He's recognizable to viewers and it would fit given that the Last Hearth is close to the wall and that's where Rickon went in the show.

White Harbor was one of if not the best part of ADWD. It was incredibly frustrating to see it cut.

I'm about ready to throw in the towel on the show because we find ourselves with very little to cheer for. But this is something that could pull me right back in. It would be great to see the Northern Lords play a part in the taking back of Winterfell. Who knows if Brienne spared Stannis we might even get the Vengence speech. Maybe that's a little wishful.

Wendel Manderly appeared at the Red Wedding and every season has had a mention of White Harbor. I'm not so foolish as to believe it will mean anything but it hasn't just been in featurettes.

Wasn't that just an extra editing his own (and episode) imdb link?

He was sporting a big merman badge on his chest.

If you look hard enough there's a big red head with the Umber chains in the background of the red wedding too.

Bit off topic but as incredible a visual the show's RW was, I wish they'd showed the Northerners fighting back a little. Smalljon and Dacey Mormont fighting to the last breath to protect Robb, Grey Wind raising hell, possibly with Robb in command of his body. Could have been a beautiful visual. Grey Wind making eye contact with Arya, Robb's final thoughts being fear for his sister's life.

Mel brings Jon back , Sansa and Theon stumbles upon Brienne and Pod and they head to CB. Theon tells Jon about Bran and Rickon being alive. Jon decides to confront the Boltons and travels to LH to rally the Umbers , where he finds Rickon. Ramsay take his men to defeat Jon , but he's killed by Jon. LF and knights of the Vale arrives and takes on the role of Manderly. Jon takes Winterfell , but Roose manage to escape. Maybe Yara will end up there to . Thats my prediction.

I'm about ready to throw in the towel on the show because we find ourselves with very little to cheer for.

Exactly.

It would be so easy to incorporate much of the great ideas within this thread, but this is Benioff and Weiss we're talking about.

They're all about cutting out the cool story arcs and sub plots, and making up their own absurd fan fiction.

Since he's at the Wall at the end of Season 5, Davos is well-positioned to fulfill his book role to retrieve Rickon Stark. In the show universe, Rickon and Osha were meant to find refuge at the Last Hearth as opposed to Skagos.

There's a number of reasons to believe this will happen. First of all it would allow for Greatjon Umber to assume some of the purpose of Wyman Manderly in the book - a sensible change, since the only reference to House Manderly comes from the HBO lore featurettes. Additionally, the actor they had for Umber in Season 1 was awesome, and Bryan Cogman made a point of noting that Umber is alive and free in the show's canon (along with the tease to "keep watching").

The uprising of the northern houses against the Boltons has been explicitly set up early this season from the mouth of Roose Bolton. Defeating Stannis does nothing to mollify that threat, and losing Sansa brings it back to the fore.

The only piece that doesn't fit is how Davos would even come to learn about Rickon. Sansa could theoretically get that information to the Wall somehow, but a more likely scenario is that Davos would simply ally himself with the enemies of House Bolton and stumble upon Rickon as a consequence.

While we may not get Frey pies and the circumstances will be necessarily very different around Winterfell due to the death of Stannis and the absence of Theon, I'm convinced we'll get some incarnation of the tension between Bolton and the other northern houses this year. I also think we'll see the return of Riverrun and House Frey (remember, David Bradley said that D&D intended to invite him back). And that would be a good excuse to bring back certain Tullys as well (Edmure, the Blackfish).

It's taken three years, but I really think we'll see certain consequences of the Red Wedding we've been anticipating. What do you guys think?

I hope you are right.

My prediction:

-Sansa and Theon will head North to the Wall;

-Ramsay will send hunters after them, and most likely go himself too;

-There's the following casting call: "Hunter: He’s a rough army officer on the hunt appearing in an action scene with main cast, in one episode";

-My guess is that guy will find Theon and Sansa;

-They will be saved by Lord of Noble Northern House. Since the age range for that role is 25-50, I guess he will be a random Umber, maybe Greatjon's son or something. Maybe even Mors.

-Rickon was headed to the Last Hearth, so that Umber will probably tell Sansa that they have Rickon and he is safe;

-He appears in two episodes, so maybe he will just save them and take them to the Wall or the Last Hearth,

I think we are going to get a lot of the Northern resistance to the Boltons in Season 6, and i agree that the Greatjon (probably recast) will essentially take over Manderly's role. Should be pretty awesome.

Ever since Cogman's tweet, I had thought that the GReatjon was always set to return at some point. I now think that we'll see see another UMber, with the GReatjon having fallen in the Riverlands.

I would love for Greatjon Umber to return! It would make sense to since he has a part to play in the books and has already been in a couple episodes in seasons 1 or 2,

"YOUR MEAT!!....is bloody tough." I thought that guy was such a bad ass.

I feel like Stannis has to be alive for this part of the story to progress, or else they would change it so much further from the books that D&D may as well have written their own original story instead of taking someone else story and rewriting it to how they want the story told... I hope whatever they do next season makes fucking sense,

Also, Davos will never side with Brienne if he knows that she killed Stannis, and i really don't think Sansa would follow the woman that killed the king who was coming to liberate her from the Boltons and restore her home back to her family. Not to mention she knows her father lost his head supporting Stannis' claim as king, so she probably would like Stannis to be king as well. But this story is all about the choices people make and the outcome they have, so we will see how it plays out.

I really hope The Freys and Karstarks return season 6 too.

Archived