for the Theon fans

INCBlackbird

So i've seen that there are some Theon fans on this board and I'd love talk about him and it not turning into an argument defending his actions (as it usually does). So i'm gonna steal this idea from a Sansa thread and pose y'all some questions. (cause I really like this idea)

why do you love Theon?

will he survive the series?

will Theon take his revenge on Ramsay?

how do you think his story will end?

So i've seen that there are some Theon fans on this board and I'd love talk about him and it not turning into an argument defending his actions (as it usually does). So i'm gonna steal this idea from a Sansa thread and pose y'all some questions. (cause I really like this idea)

why do you love Theon?

he's deeply insecure because he's never really had a place in society or a place he can relate to. Starks thought of him a ironborn and the Greyjoys thought of him as a stark. No matter how much he tried to fit in nobody really wanted him there (except for Robb and maybe Asha).

When he became Reek he forever had my undying sympathy.

No :crying:

will Theon get his revenge on Ramsay

I hope so. Don't think he will but I might be wrong.

It will end in something that reduces me to tears.

1. He is one of the most dynamic characters of the series, meaning that he has changed the most both physically and internally over the course of the books. His history is kind of a tragic one that I can understand. Before Clash he was just kind of a douchy guy and a womanizer. Then he gets to Pyke and we find out that he has Daddy-issues. He just wants to impress his father, so that he'll respect him. That's why he goes to such brutal lengths in his attack on the North, he feels threatened by Asha as Balon's potential heir. Of course he overexaggerated a little bit in the sack of Winterfell, but that's what makes him a tragic character, and I for one like the darker characters that GRRM portrays in his series. And the Reek-chapters in Dance are some of the best in all of the books in my opinion, we see a guy who has been broken and has two personalities within himself who are fighting each other, and it makes him a very complex and fascinating character. Some people may hate him, but I think he's quite endeering and that's why I like him.

2. - 4. They will probably both kill each other, kind of like Maximus in the Gladiator, who died of his wounds right after taking his revenge on the other guy whose name I forgot.

Sorry, but I cannot root for someone missing half his appendages. Theon is dead to me. This is the reason I dislike the whole redemption arc idea. What's he going to do after Jeyne is sent to the wall? Sit in a chair and stutter about Ramsay for the rest of his life?

why do you love Theon?

1. While he starts out as kind of a monster, I do believe he is capable of repentance. Having said that, I feel like his "karmic" punishment is disproportionate to his crime. Theon did not deserve to be brutally tortured: nobody does.

2. I don't know, but I certainly hope so.

3. I really hope so. Especially if their last conversation goes like this.

Ramsay: "Reek, why put that sword down! Reek? Reek, what are you doing?"

Theon: "My name is Theon, bastard!"

4. I don't know, but I hope he can spend out the rest of his days somewhere peaceful, far away from political games.

1.his intentions were honest & straightforward (brave warrior on the road to glory taking on Lannisters ) but he was put in very difficult position and there was no way out for him that would not result in hurting his family or his friend Rob (rest of starks are enemies and there is no conflict there imo). i can not even imagine what i would do in his situation and that makes me love his character in books

2.i do not know if he will survive,i gave up on any asoiaf prediction, just waiting for tv show to end and see what happens (i gave up on hope to see books),luckily he is one of main characters in tvshow and we will find out....

3. i hope not,taking revenge can only turn him in some version of Ramsay,the worst thing he can do to Ramsay he has already done: breaking away from mental chains that were put on him by Ramsay

4. same as 2.

1) I love him because his life has been a very tough one, he's a complex and interesting character. He's faced many hurdles that have almost broken him but never quite. I admire that and I admire him for his persistence. I think we can all agree that his life before reek wasn't easy and he faced lots of set backs. And anyone to go through what he did in a dance with dragons would bite their tongue or go completely insane.

2) At this point I don't think it matters to him if he survives, same way it doesn't matter to me. He's reached a nice conclusion, he's happy with it and so am I. He's learned his name and is content to die happy, or the closest he'll ever come to happiness

3) Well he has spoiled Ramsay's plans to Stannis, and has stolen Jeyne and his reek away from him. I believe he has got his revenge.

4) Bittersweet :)

He was taken as hostage while he was kid, and we know from his povs, that even before he hadn't very good life with his older brothers.

He fucked whores and did jokes only to hide his feelings.

Starks raised him, but he never accepted him completely.

He was very angry when robb scolded him when he killed wildlings who attacked bran, while he only wanted to help.

He came to iron islands in good faith but after being mocked by his family and other ironborn as weak he decided to prove them that he is true ironborn by helping them attack north.

He his whole life felt underestimated so no wonder why he did what he did.

In winterfell he tried to gain smallfolk love but their reluctance only made him more and more angry, what in finale lead to burn of two innocent children and later to become caught by ramsay.

Even his sister mocked from his decisions while he did this all to gain glory of his house.

Ramsay stripped him not only from pride and arrogance but from his whole happiness and even humanity.

He became just reek who rhymes with weak.

He atoned his sins by suffering.

We saw that he regrets everything what he did and he now wish only for death, because it's only for what he can now count.

He is in every aspect tragic character. Every decision what he made only worsen his situation and he never can find happiness. And everything what he wanted was just to be appreciated and to have family. Unfortunately he chose wrong.

why do you love Theon?

It is so good to see you back again, were you on holiday?

I'm not a Theon fan.

Maybe he will survive the series.

I do hope that he offs Ramsey.

Bittersweet.

1) He's a complex character who doesn't know who he really is. Starts as a hostage, becomes a ''prince'', and then Reek. Psychologically, I find him very interesting.

2) Not likely. I can't see him alive at the end. His whole character is tragic and his death will also be.

3) I don't think so. Someone else will get to kill Ramsay.

4) Burned alive. :crying:

1. I can't say I love Theon, but I sure love reading about him.

2. Yes, I think he will survive. He will rise again, harder and stronger. Those words must have a specific meaning for Theon.

3. I think he (unlike Aeron)will get some sort of revenge on his tormentor.

4.I think Theon will drown in the frozen lake, be rescusitated and rise again, harder and stronger, becoming someone more grim and more determined than both Theon and Reek.He will find his faith in the Drowned god and reclaim his ironborn identity, not to satisfy his father or prove himself, but because he knows he must. He might even go for the Seastone chair, as a godly man.

Theon is absolutely the most intriguing character. I also would contend he is one of the most well written. GRRM masterfully shows this outwardly confident, inwardly insecure, douche get brought to the depths of humanity by a psychopath and have himself laid bare and destroyed. There is a certain art to showing a character being taken down emotionally. It is easy to write physical torture. It isn't as easy to successfully write psychological torture, but the psychological torture inflicted on Theon was very good. Theon drops so low that he is almost an animal, a dog that is loyal out of fear and a little bit of love. Reek fears angering Ramsay, and loves to please him. However, Theon is about to make a comeback. This is the biggest arc out of every character in the series. I believe that Theon being brought so low is going to be countered by him rising to incredible highs. He will always have issues, but I think he will contribute to some great things before the series ends.

Or he will die a sad little shit, who knows with GRRM?

It is so good to see you back again, were you on holiday?

I'm not a Theon fan.

Maybe he will survive the series.

I do hope that he offs Ramsey.

Bittersweet.

Thanks :) No, I wasn't, I kinda left for a while, I don't really know why because it's not like I was out of my Theon phase at all, but I guess I did lose interest in the forum for a while, now i'm back though and enjoying myself again :)

Archived