Hugos V: E Paucibus Drama

felice

There looks to be some confusing with who can nominate or vote when.

I've made this flow chart which may help.   http://i.imgur.com/lAfycsd.png

Even if you qualify to vote/nominate more than one way in a given year   (ie you are members of the current and preceding con)  then you still only get to do it once.

If you pay the site selection voting fee, then you automatically get supporting membership for whichever Con Bid wins.

GRRM is talking about next year's Hugo, and reforming the categories.

Have the Hugos ever had a category for Best Fan-Organized Convention?  Best Literary Con and Best Media Con might be worthwhile to have to honour the work fans put to them every year.  It would be nice to have a list of cons I might like to attend, and have some confidence they are well run and fun.

From the comments, by GRRM:

You're making the same mistake that many of the Puppies did -- assuming that more voters would make the award more relevant.

If it were only the number of voters that mattered, the People's Choice Award would be more important than the Oscars. It's not. The Academy voters are fewer in number, but they bring more expertise to the decision. Same's true of worldcon fans. These are people who live and breathe SF and fantasy, for whom "fandom is a way of life," not casual readers.

I have no objection to someone starting a People's Choice award for SF. Hell, I might even win it, since I have the sort of mass following that tends to dominate such awards. But it would not be as meaningful to me as winning a Hugo.

Archived