Hugos V: E Paucibus Drama

felice

So, I wanted to see the extent of the bloodbath and indeed Puppies were vastly outnumbered.
Still, from what I've seen there were something like 1.500 of them voting. Not much compared to the total, but that's because there's been an insane increase in membership / voting body in the last 10 years; before that you had years with 500 ballots...
I'm quite curious to see how the "get out the vote" campaigns will go next year (obviously, I expect Puppies to be outnumbered once again, but how much, and how will the near certainty of outnumbering them will affect their opposition's strategy - "trufans" and others).

That said, I'm a bit puzzled when looking at the specifics. I'm not sure I really understand the vast differences in No Awards votes in categories with non-Puppies candidates. Specially for best novelette - should I take it the only non-Puppy who made it isn't really good, which explains why it was basically a tie with No Award? Though Best fan writing looks a bit odd as well, with more than 1.000 people voting against Laura Mixon - Puppies voting No Award instead of voting their guys (would be a bit weird)?
I'm also wondering why Vox Day got 600 votes for Best editor short form and not even 200 for long form - his fanbase should've followed him on both counts. But I'm not sure this is the best place to find experts in Rabid' psychology :D

He's kind of a shitlord genius. I mean this whole thread is pretty much about him, the whole controversy has been centered around him and he's transformed the puppies form 'let's try and get Toni Weisskopf nominated this year' to 'let's burn the whole motherfucker down'.

You mean, Vox Day or Scalzi? :P

Still, from what I've seen there were something like 1.500 of them voting.

Less than that; some non-puppies would have preferred to award the least bad option instead of No Award, irrespective of how it ended up on the ballot.

That said, I'm a bit puzzled when looking at the specifics. I'm not sure I really understand the vast differences in No Awards votes in categories with non-Puppies candidates.

Some people would have not considered the sole non-puppy finalist to be award-worthy (tastes vary), others consider picking a winner from a set of one to be a dubious proposition.

I'm also wondering why Vox Day got 600 votes for Best editor short form and not even 200 for long form - his fanbase should've followed him on both counts.

It's my understanding that he told his followers to nominate Toni ahead of himself in that category.

So, I wanted to see the extent of the bloodbath and indeed Puppies were vastly outnumbered.
Still, from what I've seen there were something like 1.500 of them voting. Not much compared to the total, but that's because there's been an insane increase in membership / voting body in the last 10 years; before that you had years with 500 ballots...
I'm quite curious to see how the "get out the vote" campaigns will go next year (obviously, I expect Puppies to be outnumbered once again, but how much, and how will the near certainty of outnumbering them will affect their opposition's strategy - "trufans" and others).

That said, I'm a bit puzzled when looking at the specifics. I'm not sure I really understand the vast differences in No Awards votes in categories with non-Puppies candidates. Specially for best novelette - should I take it the only non-Puppy who made it isn't really good, which explains why it was basically a tie with No Award? Though Best fan writing looks a bit odd as well, with more than 1.000 people voting against Laura Mixon - Puppies voting No Award instead of voting their guys (would be a bit weird)?
I'm also wondering why Vox Day got 600 votes for Best editor short form and not even 200 for long form - his fanbase should've followed him on both counts. But I'm not sure this is the best place to find experts in Rabid' psychology :D

You mean, Vox Day or Scalzi? :P

VD is reaching out to the gamergate crowd, there's a LOT of them. Besides he's getting what he wants, to stop this shit next year the anti puppies will have to start nominating their own slates. Everyone is dancing to the shitlord tune, would be better just to appoint a committee to nominate candidates for the main awards.

They really aren't. There's a dedicated core of GG and a metric fuckton of sock puppets they use. The number sympathetic to them still bothers me, but you aren't going to get super rich selling just to them.

Wert the only review for that stern response is hilarious and probably written by VD. The best part is 0 of 6 found the review helpful.

Some people will have been uncomfortable with voting for a single non-slate candidate in a category, deciding a single possible choice is as bad as no choice. But also the Olde Heuvelt story wasn't great, which is enough for many people to vote it below no award. And of course with Mixon (not on the slates) some people are uncomfortable about the post that was the basis for the nomination, and the continued sniping and violence it represents.

Yeah, I totally thought that was real. Well played.

[url=http://www.amazon.co.uk/SJWs-Always-Lie-Taking-Thought-ebook/dp/B014GMBUR4/ref=zg_bs_362481031_5]This[/url] is the real one that Vox Day actually wrote. With reviews such as "The editing is quite good, by Vox Day's standards, in that it only repeats one chapter number, and he gets all of the names right."

Some people will have been uncomfortable with voting for a single non-slate candidate in a category, deciding a single possible choice is as bad as no choice. But also the Olde Heuvelt story wasn't great, which is enough for many people to vote it below no award. And of course with Mixon (not on the slates) some people are uncomfortable about the post that was the basis for the nomination, and the continued sniping and violence it represents.

Thanks to you and Felice. That was the likeliest reason I could see, but not having followed specific blogs and sites on this year's Hugo, it's better to refer to those who have :)

That or everyone needs to step up and nominate to drown out the Puppies.

Not doing any slate could be a bit risky. Considering the huge increase in voters, I'm not sure that Puppies could sweep nominations like this year, but I guess many would still fear it and consider counter-measures.
On the other hand, going full slate would mean the Hugos are now like a political election, and that would be awfully bad for them. If people really think some kind of slate or list of worthy proposals is necessary, they could have a 5-6 names list, and tell people to pick 2 (3 at most) among that list, and nominate other non-slated works to complete their nominations. Actually, that's probably what the Puppies should've done, if they wanted to avoid to give such a negative appearane of taking over the Hugos entirely.

Archived