Tywin's real motivation during RR

Even if Jaime and Tywin decided to fight Ned's van and even kill him, Robert would end the Lannisters in KL, the Trident ended the war...
Stannis was still holding back the Tyrells

Stannis only managed not to starve to death because of Davos. I doubt a single boat filled with food could sustain the castle for that much longer, but it was long enough for KL to be taken and Ned to come lift the siege. If Tywin had prevented KL from being quickly taken, I think the Tyrells would have taken Storm's End and marched north. So I disagree that the Trident ended the war.

Tywin would have had 12,000 fresh troops, most likely the cream of the West, and people seem to be forgetting that Aerys had several thousand loyalists with him in KL. The city could have held out for quite a while since there was an actual army in there, not just the City Watch.

Ser Kevin did not appear to know though that Aerys sent seveal ravens to the Rock and got no reply. Jaime mentions it how Tywin's silence scared Aerys more than anything else.

He might have known that Aerys asked for help, but he was surprised Aerys never asked Tywin to be the Hand again, which he expected after the failure of JonCon.

Tywin would have had 12,000 fresh troops, most likely the cream of the West, and people seem to be forgetting that Aerys had several thousand loyalists with him in KL. The city could have held out for quite a while since there was an actual army in there, not just the City Watch.

Not necessarily, the people will be a lot less motivated to fight for a king who has basically already lost the war and his ultra-popular heir. They'll still fight, but morale won't be that high.

Not necessarily, the people will be a lot less motivated to fight for a king who has basically already lost the war and his ultra-popular heir. They'll still fight, but morale won't be that high.

I think they would be pretty motivated to fight so that they don't get killed by the enemy forces sacking the city. They don't need to give a shit about the war at that point.

I think they would be pretty motivated to fight so that they don't get killed by the enemy forces sacking the city. They don't need to give a shit about the war at that point.

That or they would capitulate to Tywin in hopes of not getting killed themselves (A la Argella Durrandon).

KL alone wouldn't do it, but defeating Ned's van, thus preventing KL from being taken as well as Storm's End falling may have been enough, since it would have freed up the Tyrell army to march North. If Ned and Robert only just barely had enough men to win at the Trident (which I think is the implication), I doubt they would have been able to stand against Tywin and the Tyrell army and take back Storm's End and take KL. But maybe they could have, we don't know all the details of the sizes of the armies.

But the rebels could call on reinforcements, or flee behind Moat Cailin or the Bloody Gate. It's not like Ned or Robert or Jon were ever gonna kneel to Aerys, so the war would drag on

And why would Storm's End fall? 

Roberts rebellion is so tough to call without solid numbers on either side...with the Ned v Tywin battle people talk of I can only see at best an inconclusive victory for the royals if they clashed. Neds a pretty seasoned commander at this stage and his men are battle hardened while Tywin's are fresh. Number wise I'd say they're pretty even giving Ned the advantage if pushed (only lord to have the full support of his region and as George said only certain people can lead the north). I can't see Ned falling whole sale for any trap Tywin might lay for him and tbh there isn't the time for a trap so man v man they're pretty even

But the rebels could call on reinforcements, or flee behind Moat Cailin or the Bloody Gate. It's not like Ned or Robert or Jon were ever gonna kneel to Aerys, so the war would drag on

And why would Storm's End fall? 

Because they were out of food, which was the whole point of the siege. It is implied that Storm's End would have fallen if not for Davos, and Davos only brought in a single smuggler's boat worth of food for the entire garrison, which was already on the brink of starvation, so the would have gone through that pretty quickly.

Kevan gave us a hint when thinking about Jon Connington:

"Connington is too young, too bold, too eager for glory." The Battle of the Bells had proved the truth of that. Ser Kevan had expected that afterward Aerys would have no choice but to summon Tywin once more... but the Mad King had turned to the Lords Chelsted and Rossart instead, and paid for it with life and crown.

So I think Tywin would have preferred to actually fight for the Mad King, on the condition that Jaime be released from the Kingsguard. When that offer never came, Tywin waited until the Trident and sacked KL, knowing that Jaime was the only Kingsguard in KL and that only Jaime's own actions could endanger his life at that point.

This doesn't really affect the story or anything, but my perception for a long time was that Tywin just sat back until there was a clear winner and joined the winning team, but it was really all about Jaime.

before Kevans POV everything was pointing out to revenge but after it your argument makes sense(reading book 5 one would hope to get some answers but all we got are new questions piling up upon mountain of old ones)

before Kevans POV everything was pointing out to revenge but after it your argument makes sense(reading book 5 one would hope to get some answers but all we got are new questions piling up upon mountain of old ones)

In true GRRm fashion. Let's just hope by the end of book 7 we have more answers than questions, lol

Tywin's brain has this gigantic red pride button. You can be pretty sure that everything that goes on is directly tied to that. Doubtless he'd have wanted Aerys on his knees begging the mighty Tywin to come back and clean up his mess. On the other hand, he'd also have wanted Aerys and his entire family given the 'heads, spikes, walls' treatment for all the indignities he suffered over the years as Hand.

In the end, Tywin's motivations in the rebellion were House Lannister's position in the realm upon its conclusion, and Jaime's safety in Aerys' court. If it weren't for Jaime being a hostage, who knows what Tywin may have done? He had the political savvy and military capital to effectively take over the rebel side in its infancy. Hoster may have brought enough manpower to the fold to let the rebels make a relatively even fight of it, but Tywin throwing in would have made it a Renly-esque overwhelming force. He may well have even wound up king when all was said and done.

Archived