Wow I Never Noticed That V.12

Norwegians have a saying "det går troll i ord" - trolls walk through words. I found two in the last sentence:

end of ACoK 56 Theon V

Ramsay-Reek is mentioned the sentence before, though Theon knows only Reek yet and yet thinks of rams' heads. And of horns, trolling the yet unknown Ramsay.

Oh, I get it: Ramsey. :)

Ned was not sure what to make of Renly, with all his friendly ways and easy smiles. A few days past, he had taken Ned aside to show him an exquisite rose gold locklet. Inside was a miniature painted in the vivid Myrish style, of a lovely young girl with doe's eyes and a cascade of soft brown hair. Renly had seemed anxious to know if the girl reminded him of anyone, and when Ned had no answer but a shrug, he had seemed disappointed. The maid was Loras Tyrell's sister Margaery, he'd confessed, but there were those who said she looked like Lyanna. "No," Ned had told him, bemused. Could it be that Lord Renly, who looked so like a young Robert, had conceived a passion for a girl he fancied to be a young Lyanna? That struck him as more than passing queer.

Eddard VI, Game 27

Oh George, I see what you did there...

This is pretty cool...

This...

The Street of Steel began at the market square beside the River Gate, as it was named on maps, or the Mud Gate, as it was commonly called. A mummer on stilts was striding through the throngs like some great insect, with a horde of barefoot children trailing behind him, hooting. Elsewhere, two ragged boys no older than Bran were dueling with sticks, to the loud encouragement of some and the furious curses of others. An old woman ended the contest by leaning out of her window and emptying a bucket of slops on the heads of the combatants. In the shadow of the wall, farmers stood beside their wagons, bellowing out, "Apples, the best apples, cheap at twice the price," and "Blood melons, sweet as honey," and "Turnips, onions, roots, here you go here, here you go, turnips, onions, roots, here you go here."

Eddard VI, Game 27

...is preceded by this...

He looked behind him frequently as they made their way through the crowded city streets. Tomard and Desmond had left the castle early this morning to take up positions on the route they must take, and watch for anyone following them, but even so, Ned was uncertain. The shadow of the King's Spider and his little birds had him fretting like a maiden on her wedding night.

Eddard VI, Game 27

The really interesting thing is there is a mystery presented in this chapter: Who paid Gendry's apprentice fee?

I dont know if this has been mentioned or not, but I think Barristan killed the wrong man when he killed Hizdhar.

The Shavepate is the Harpy.

ADWD is a much better book when you realize how sneaky GRRM is... It has as much devious traitorous stuff as ASOS does... it just hasnt been confirmed yet.

I dont know if this has been mentioned or not, but I think Barristan killed the wrong man when he killed Hizdhar.

ADWD is a much better book when you realize how sneaky GRRM is... It has as much devious traitorous stuff as ASOS does... it just hasnt been confirmed yet.

Barristan didn't kill Hizdahr, he just had him arrested. But I do believe that the Shavepate is the most likely candidate behind the poisoning. Who "The Harpy" is? I'm not sure that "The Harpy" is even one particular person, although there is likely some organization to the Sons of the Harpy. Overall though, the Sons of the Harpy is more of a grassroot terrorist group. The 90 days of peace that Hizdahr brought to Meereen might not have been any peace at all. Killings likely continued, even if they lessened. The killings and other crimes were likely covered up by factions that wanted Daenerys to wed Hizdahr.

Edwyn Frey is the current heir to the Twins, his brother "Black" Walder set to inherit should Edwyn die without a son. If these two (who are known to be bitter rivals) die, then the Twins would be inherited by Walton Frey, who is son to a Waynwood and married to a Hardyng. Walton and his children are related to Harry the Heir; his children are related two-fold, as Harry is also of both Waynwood and Hardyng descent. Baelish might not be the only one who brings Riverland politics into the Vale.

(Side note: Walton is married to Deana Hardyng. Is "Deana" a Targaryen name? Or is just "Daena" a Targaryen name? Deana Hardyng is the only "Deana" in the story. The only other character with a similar Diana-type name is Dyanna Dayne who was Aegon V's mother.)

But I do believe that the Shavepate is the most likely candidate behind the poisoning.

I believe it as well.

I remember watching a GRRM interview where he says he has no idea how any readers would have missed that Renly was gay - that was two years ago I think.

I only noticed it by the time Loras said ''When the sun has set no candle can replace it.''... Then again, I still read Kettleblack as Kettleback so eh...

Edwyn Frey is the current heir to the Twins, his brother "Black" Walder set to inherit should Edwyn die without a son. If these two (who are known to be bitter rivals) die, then the Twins would be inherited by Walton Frey, who is son to a Waynwood and married to a Hardyng. Walton and his children are related to Harry the Heir; his children are related two-fold, as Harry is also of both Waynwood and Hardyng descent. Baelish might not be the only one who brings Riverland politics into the Vale.

(Side note: Walton is married to Deana Hardyng. Is "Deana" a Targaryen name? Or is just "Daena" a Targaryen name? Deana Hardyng is the only "Deana" in the story. The only other character with a similar Diana-type name is Dyanna Dayne who was Aegon V's mother.)

I had a thing for a gal named Deanna in college. Maybe you pronounce Deana as "dee ANN ah"?

I had a thing for a gal named Deanna in college. Maybe you pronounce Deana as "dee ANN ah"?

Yeah, I was thinking that Deana and Dyanna were both pronounced "dee ANN ah." Lyanna is pronounced "lee ANN ah" isn't it? I believe this is how her name's pronounced on the show.

Yeah, I was thinking that Deana and Dyanna were both pronounced "dee ANN ah." Lyanna is pronounced "lee ANN ah" isn't it? I believe this is how her name's pronounced on the show.

I think it's "li ANN ah".

Uhhh he is dead/? what?

Uhhh he is dead/? what?

My bad. He is captured.

But I do not think he tried to poison Dany and I think that the Shavepate has been whispering in Dany's ear that Hizdhar is the Harpy, all the while Shavepate is positioning his House to be the most powerful in Slaver's Bay once he can persuede Dany to kill off his ancient rival, house Loraq.

It is brilliant. Dany continues to show she is a terrible ruler and is outsmarted by her enemies, even after Quaithe has warned her about 'the perfumed senechal'.

Maybe this was obvious? But i didnt catch it on my first read. It really makes ADWD a better book now that I see the deeper levels of it all, and pick up on Martin's gentile hints.

Archived