[NO BOOK SPOILERS] The Expanse on SyFy

Xray the Enforcer

The Expanse will debut in mid-December on SyFy. This is an adaptation of the book series by James SA Corey (aka Daniel Abraham and Ty Franck), which currently has 5 books and at least 3 novellas and short stories published.

This thread is for those who do not want to see any book spoilers from the Expanse book series. There will be spoilers from the TV show.

tl;dr

NO book spoilers
YES TV spoilers

Carry on.

• 2 weeks later...

The pilot and first episode are available via streaming services, but I'm not seeing much buzz for this show.  Only 7 reviews on RT so far, but they're middling (57%).  I really want this to do well, but this doesn't appear to be the most auspicious start. Anyone have an inkling whether or not this is doing well so far?

I'm seeing ads for the two-night premiere event all over the place - social media, etc. Granted some of those may be targeted, but SyFy seems to at least be throwing some marketing muscle behind this. 

Right now the YouTube video of the premiere that dropped a couple weeks back has 154,000 views, which is pretty decent considering it's a niche network series premiere. And that doesn't include views on SyFy on-demand, Hulu, Amazon and other outlets. Buzz may be stronger than you think.

I don't know, but your thread is now the 4th (I think) that was started here, so I'd say it's doing well on our little forum. ;)

Hopefully word of mouth, and some NBC backing of SyFy will get the ball rolling.

The last topic was locked, hence this one.  And I would expect it to generate buzz here. Unfortunately an ambitious project like this is going to need more than genre attention to justify the cost.

FYI, there's actually 2 active Expanse threads still. A book and show spoiler thread here: http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?/topic/135945-book-tv-spoilers-the-expanse-on-syfy/

And a non-spoiler thread here: http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?/topic/136057-no-book-spoilers-the-expanse-on-syfy/ (although that one doesn't have any replies yet)

SyFy's definitely been doing a pretty significant marketing push. Almost every time I fire up my Roku I see an ad for it. They even somehow created a somewhat Expanse-themed challenge on Face/Off this last season. Dan and Ty even showed up to give the contestants some advice (Ty didn't look particularly thrilled to be there). I've seen a few reviews out there that have all been overwhelmingly positive.

Archived