Was Aemon the Dragon Knight a coward?

purple-eyes

He loved his sister Naerys, and she loved him too. Aemon sounds like a very valiant guy.

When Aegon and Naerys got married, even their father Viserys is just a prince. 

Why can not he just elope with naerys and get married secretly?

Like Jaehearys or Dunk the small.

I think Viserys would reluctantly accept that. He is not the king and he can not break their marriage. 

And he seems like a wise person too. 

Aegon can marry other girls like Daena, Elaena and rhaena. And he in fact liked them better than Naerys.

It is not like Targ is short of women. And Baelor can simply release one of them to marry Aegon. 

This can even combine the houses of Aegon III and Viserys. 

He is too coward to do this, then Naerys was mistreated for so many years and died in birth-bed. 

Um, probably had more to do with honour than cowardice.

I think that's right and poor Naerys wanted to be a septa, not a wife. Plus Viserys, while not king, was still their father in the patriarchal world of Westeros. Viserys is really the main one to blame for the disaster that he made of his children's lives.

Aemon and Naerys were both very pious. I think it unlikely that they would do anything frowned upon by the faith. Including honoring the wishes their father. In a perfect world l Aemon would be the first born, marry Naerys and be king, however the majority of ASOIAF, tries to model reality as best it can, and that means that it is not a perfect world. Aegon who would become the unworthy married her and despite the rumors (Which, coincidentally, were suspected to have been started by Aegon IV) that Daeron II was their lovechild are mostly baseless. Aemon is not a coward, he is a true knight, and a true knight accepts and honors vows of the faith (marriage vows). What else was he supposed to do? I'm pretty sure he was in the KG by the time Aegon and Naerys wed. And if not he is chivalrous enough to respect the wishes of his father who was a man of tradition. It sucks that the right guy can't get his perfect girl, but shit happens, their love couldn't be. Aemon could at least take solace in his duty and commitment to the Kingsguard while Naerys asked her brother to stop the intimate parts of their marriage after providing them an heir.  

He loved his sister Naerys, and she loved him too. Aemon sounds like a very valiant guy.

When Aegon and Naerys got married, even their father Viserys is just a prince. 

Why can not he just elope with naerys and get married secretly?

Because he cant see into the future.

He is too coward to do this, then Naerys was mistreated for so many years and died in birth-bed. 

Are you really blaming for not having the gift of hindsight?

And does Naerys not get a say in it? Maybe she did not want to become a penniless peasant on the run, maybe she enjoyed the privileges that came with being a Targaryen.

Aemon and Naerys were both very pious. I think it unlikely that they would do anything frowned upon by the faith. Including honoring the wishes their father. In a perfect world l Aemon would be the first born, marry Naerys and be king, however the majority of ASOIAF, tries to model reality as best it can, and that means that it is not a perfect world. Aegon who would become the unworthy married her and despite the rumors (Which, coincidentally, were suspected to have been started by Aegon IV) that Daeron II was their lovechild are mostly baseless. Aemon is not a coward, he is a true knight, and a true knight accepts and honors vows of the faith (marriage vows). What else was he supposed to do? I'm pretty sure he was in the KG by the time Aegon and Naerys wed. And if not he is chivalrous enough to respect the wishes of his father who was a man of tradition. It sucks that the right guy can't get his perfect girl, but shit happens, their love couldn't be. Aemon could at least take solace in his duty and commitment to the Kingsguard while Naerys asked her brother to stop the intimate parts of their marriage after providing them an heir.  

I read somewhere Aemon joined KG after wedding. 

Which makes sense, he wants to stay with naerys like Cersei and Jaime. 

Because he cant see into the future.

Are you really blaming for not having the gift of hindsight?

And does Naerys not get a say in it? Maybe she did not want to become a penniless peasant on the run, maybe she enjoyed the privileges that came with being a Targaryen.

Naerys wept on the wedding and Aemon quarreled with Aegon on the wedding too. 

And Aegon hooked up with woman since 14 year old. 

Aemon really did not need hindsight to know Aegon and Naerys would have an unhappy marriage. 

And I am not saying they left forever, they just needed to get married secretly and slept together and came back to the court.

Like Jaeherys and his sister. So they would not become penniless peasants. 

I don't think coward is the right way to describe this. He chose duty/honor over love. Maybe he deserves criticism for not choosing love but not doing so doesn't make him a coward. Depending on how you look at it choosing duty is the epitome of not being a coward. And this is the exact same thing as Jon & Ygritte so you can't say one is coward & the other isn't. Jon chose the Watch over Ygritte and she died because of it. He could've ran away w/ Ygritte and chosen love over honor/duty just like Aemon could've ran away with Naerys.

Naerys wept on the wedding and Aemon quarreled with Aegon on the wedding too. 

So? Westeros is full or arranged marriages. Noble women rarely get to chose who they get married to, they might be unhappy with it and even cry but the majority comply to their families wishes.

And Aegon hooked up with woman since 14 year old. 

Again, so?

Aemon really did not need hindsight to know Aegon and Naerys would have an unhappy marriage. 

Many marriages are unhappy in Westeros, even marriages made for love like Doran Martells.

And I am not saying they left forever, they just needed to get married secretly and slept together and came back to the court.

Aegon V is a decent guy, we have no idea how Viserys or Aegon would have reacted to this. Baelor had his own sisters locked away, Naerys might have had a similar fate.

Like Jaeherys and his sister. So they would not become penniless peasants. 

They did get disinherited. Aegon V was very forgiving, we don't know if Viserys or Aegon IV would have been. Considering he already did not get along with his brother he may have used this to severely punish him..

Sure, Naerys, like many women, was unhappy with her marriage partner but there is no evidence that she would have gone against her father and her Houses wishes.

Littledragon, you're kind of downplaying one of the worst marriages in Westerosi history. It was an unwilling marriage between two completely unsuited people and ended every bit as badly as could have been expected if Viserys had had any commonsense or affection for his children. However, that doesn't make it the fault of Aemon the Dragonknight. 

We don't even know that Aemon and Naerys had feelings for each other. It's just a rumour that only spread after Aegon IV decided that he didn't like his adult son. By the time, both parties were dead, so it isn't as if people have been watching a tragic love story unfold for ages.

It's like Daenerys and Daemon Blackfyre. All the rumours about them having feelings for each other arose years after the supposed fact - and when it suited Daemon.

Aemon joined the KG after Aegon and Naerys wed? Of course he joined then. He was still very young. He could hardly join earlier.

We don't even know that Aemon and Naerys had feelings for each other. It's just a rumour that only spread after Aegon IV decided that he didn't like his adult son. By the time, both parties were dead, so it isn't as if people have been watching a tragic love story unfold for ages.

It's like Daenerys and Daemon Blackfyre. All the rumours about them having feelings for each other arose years after the supposed fact - and when it suited Daemon.

Aemon joined the KG after Aegon and Naerys wed? Of course he joined then. He was still very young. He could hardly join earlier.

to be fair, he named her as queen of love and beauty. 

This showed his love At least. 

to be fair, he named her as queen of love and beauty. 

This showed his love At least. 

It did. It's just uncertain that it was romantic love. It didn't start out with his desire to crown her. Rather, crowning her was natural after entering the tourney to save her from humiliation and winning. He had to crown someone and since he's supposed to stay away from women, she was a natural choice. His name wasn't tied to any lady he'd want to crown, so his scope was somewhat limited. I think it was a natural progress of events - he entered the lists for her, so of course he had to crown her. My guess is that it was also a jab at Aegon - look, you wanted to have your whore crowned? Great, I'm crowning the wife you wanted to insult!

Archived