Is season 8 and beyond actually confirmed by anyone important?

barneyfife

23 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I thought it was the case that GRRM hadnt sold the rights to D&E? I thought i recalled a blog post from a year or two ago (the one where he floats the names of future stories) in which he said he hadnt sold the rights to Dunk and Egg,but if someone other than HBO were to do it for example they would need to avoid references to Westeros, Targaryens etc. Have I misremembered/misunderstood, or has something changed since then?

But no deals having been struck back then doesn't mean no deals could have been made since, I imagine? And even if not (yet), they may be in negotiations... :)

24 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I thought it was the case that GRRM hadnt sold the rights to D&E? I thought i recalled a blog post from a year or two ago (the one where he floats the names of future stories) in which he said he hadnt sold the rights to Dunk and Egg,but if someone other than HBO were to do it for example they would need to avoid references to Westeros, Targaryens etc. Have I misremembered/misunderstood, or has something changed since then?

Nope, that's correct. The difference is that GRRM has said he'd be happy to see D&E adapted, so he'd be willing to talk to HBO about it or maybe something else. He's not willing (or wasn't recently) to consider a Robert's Rebellion series though.

2 hours ago, Werthead said:

Nope, that's correct. The difference is that GRRM has said he'd be happy to see D&E adapted, so he'd be willing to talk to HBO about it or maybe something else. He's not willing (or wasn't recently) to consider a Robert's Rebellion series though.

Ah right, thanks. I wasn't aware that he had said he wouldn't consider a Robert's Rebellion series, that's quite interesting to know. Do you happen to know the reason behind that?

3 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Ah right, thanks. I wasn't aware that he had said he wouldn't consider a Robert's Rebellion series, that's quite interesting to know. Do you happen to know the reason behind that?

Because when ASoIaF is finished, we will know everything there is to "need" to know about the war. A prequel series wouldn't reveal anything major, as everything major will have been explained. You then just have joining up the dots, and George has said from a storytelling perspective that's quite uninteresting.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/17/2016 at 6:33 PM, Werthead said:

Because when ASoIaF is finished, we will know everything there is to "need" to know about the war. A prequel series wouldn't reveal anything major, as everything major will have been explained. You then just have joining up the dots, and George has said from a storytelling perspective that's quite uninteresting.

That is a good point, though.  Outside of the TOJ incident, we pretty much know everything that has happened during the Rebellion.  I don't see any point in doing a prequel on it after ASOIAF is finished.

I could see HBO wanting to do some mini-movie on the Dunk and Egg novellas though.  Like, three 1 1/2 hour movies for each novella or something.  I think that would be fun to see.

Archived