Jorah Mormonts Valyrian sword

tombru

It makes sense he wouldn't if it's something he is ashamed about. He did after all not sell it or take it with him, so you'd think there's some sense of it's sentimental value to his house, a kind of piece of it's honour.

Which I guess would make up part of the argument for Longclaw being the sword she gives him. It represents redemption to him I suppose, unlike any other sword in the world could.

Probably should reread what Commander Mormont says about it and Jorah.

57 minutes ago, chrisdaw said:

It makes sense he wouldn't if it's something he is ashamed about. He did after all not sell it or take it with him, so you'd think there's some sense of it's sentimental value to his house, a kind of piece of it's honour.

Which I guess would make up part of the argument for Longclaw being the sword she gives him. It represents redemption to him I suppose, unlike any other sword in the world could.

Probably should reread what Commander Mormont says about it and Jorah.

He had no problem explaining in full detail how he was exiled for slaving but his sword is what shames him into silence?

And Jeor's explanation(yes, I read it thank you) is rather fishy. If that sword is so important to the family, that Jorah at his slaving worst and desperate for money, when Tywin is offering a fortune for such a sword, doesn't sell it and leaves it behind, then why did Maege send it to the Wall? Why didn't Jeor return it? Why then did Jeor give it to this kid he barely knew? This sword is so important yet both apparently just casually sent away the sword away from the family. There was no obvious male heir at the moment, but we've seen that the Mormonts have no problem with female fighters. Even so, Alysane has a son that is like to come of age soon enough.

When you couple this with the fact that none of the Mormonts other than Jeor have even mentioned Longclaw, along with the fact that when Jon received it any identifying marks were destroyed and reforged, the explanation doesn't add up at all and seems more like a cover story.

8 minutes ago, chrisdaw said:

Probably because Jeor was meant to have the sword, seeing it reminds them of him, his treachery and their shame.

All the more reason for him to send his family's ancestral sword... back to his family. Jorah at his slaving worst won't get rid of his family's prize sword, but Jeor will deny it to future Mormont generations because he's ashamed? That would seem quite selfish. As I said, it doesn't add up.

It might not be the case, but it makes every sense. Maege doesn't want to bestow it on Alysanne because it feels wrong, it was supposed to be for Jorah, reminds her of the shame. Alysanne might not have wanted it for the same reason. It was supposed to be Jorah's, I've got it because of what Jorah did. So Maege sends it away to the Wall or tells Joer to take it with him. Joer buries it away out of sight and out of mind because it also reminds him of his son's shame.

It's too valuable to throw away, but pains everyone to look at.

9 hours ago, chrisdaw said:

I do but they're not big on swords, and Nightfall will definitely be Garlan's for a time at least.

Nightfall and it's moonstone pommel are a big mystery to me.  You sound pretty sure of your prediction care to share your reasoning?  I've read your posts on a few topics and have been influenced by your logic more than once.  Garland is on my list of 26 potential heroes and I would love to put another match to bed so I can move on to Red Rain.  

Olenna

Night falls for all of us in the end, and too soon for some.

From TWOIAF

Erich V Harlaw retook Fair Island in his youth, only to lose it again in his old age. His son Harron slew Gareth the Grim of Highgarden beneath the walls of Oldtown.

Harron Harlaw vs Gareth Grim of Highgarden.

Harras Harlaw and Garlan the Gallant of Highgarden are set to meet as they're commanders on opposite sides who both fancy single combat. Garlan will get Nightfall, either through the chest or off Harlaw's corpse.

17 minutes ago, chrisdaw said:

Olenna

From TWOIAF

Harron Harlaw vs Gareth Grim of Highgarden.

Harras Harlaw and Garlan the Gallant of Highgarden are set to meet as they're commanders on opposite sides who both fancy single combat. Garlan will get Nightfall, either through the chest or off Harlaw's corpse.

Oh that very very good.  Thanks man.

14 hours ago, Lord Lannister said:

He had no problem explaining in full detail how he was exiled for slaving but his sword is what shames him into silence?

And Jeor's explanation(yes, I read it thank you) is rather fishy. If that sword is so important to the family, that Jorah at his slaving worst and desperate for money, when Tywin is offering a fortune for such a sword, doesn't sell it and leaves it behind, then why did Maege send it to the Wall? Why didn't Jeor return it? Why then did Jeor give it to this kid he barely knew? This sword is so important yet both apparently just casually sent away the sword away from the family. There was no obvious male heir at the moment, but we've seen that the Mormonts have no problem with female fighters. Even so, Alysane has a son that is like to come of age soon enough.

When you couple this with the fact that none of the Mormonts other than Jeor have even mentioned Longclaw, along with the fact that when Jon received it any identifying marks were destroyed and reforged, the explanation doesn't add up at all and seems more like a cover story.

Jorahs lack of disclosure here bothers a lot of people.  I think shame is the reason.  He can admit almost all the past, the crimes, the blind lust, the loss still Jorah cannot admit he owned this incredibly valuable thing.  Not selling Longclaw may have been proof of the last remnants of the pride and honor he once possessed.  I have suspected that the families who originally had VS swords were chosen to bear the steel for their intended purpose.  I find it curious no price is ever mentioned.  Also Lyn Corbray is plenty broke and he wouldn't part with Lady Forlorn. 

Archived