Hodor, Wyllis, and Orson

DrewDoherty

Yeah meant to be more a ironic post about all "slow" or mentally challenged people in the GoT universe's conditions being caused by skingchanging. But interesting if that back story is true. Either way the orson scene was one of my favorite show additions, even tho it reminds one of the lack of the Tyrion wife confession moment from Jaimie in the following episode.

Lol the Our son=or son, was a lot better than my attempts at Ore, son=orson (orson was a lannister, who had a father, and they mine gold ore duh).

but yeah it mostly went "smasthh the beetles smasssth them" for orson. the scene itself was tyrion reflecting on the injustice of the small getting squashed, yet still hoping/looking for a method/reason to/for orson's apparent madness and/or beetle destruction. Even when he's hopeless, Tyrion is still trying to figure out life is one of the many messages one can take from the scene.

I'm pretty sure the beetle scene is an in-show way of nodding to George RR Martin and foreshadowing things to come in the show.  A nod to the way George has said (he may be joking) the story will end:  with a gust of wind blowing over a gigantic graveyard full of characters we know, that's why Tyrion mentioned being surrounded by the Beetle husks.  Also the part about the half-wit not being mindless and there being more to why he was doing what he was doing (for Orson this was smashing beetles and for Hodor this was his repeating the term "Hodor").  When you think about it like that the beetle scene almost seems clever and has purpose.

Hmm, now that you mention simple-minded folks / half wits possibly having purpose (arguably noble purpose in hodors case) this led me to think about the mountain, and the contrast with hodor. I always wondered about that if Sandor clegane or the martells didn't get to kill Gregor it could be hodor (just liked the idea of a apparently simple giant person killing an evil giant one).

Ser Gregor clegane seems to be inherently evil from the get go/birth (maybe due to madness brought on by constant head aches possibly related to his gigantism, but regardless that's no excuse for chopping people in half/rape, let's not get into if head aches like his could be a lesser form of greenseeing interference, I would like to operate under the assumption that all giant people in westeros aren't being interfered with by three eyed ravens/greenseers), while hodor appears to be good natured and certainly remains so even after bran breaks his mind in the show. A young ned stark even wistfully hints at the possibilities of a combat trained hodor, before old nan interferes. Rast, the mutinous brother of the nights watch at crafters keep, also insults hodor while speculating on how fearsome/destructive a person of hodors size could be.

But the contrast between how House Lannister uses their resident giant person/bannerman as a destructive force/attacker/mad dog and how House stark uses its resident giants person/bannerman as a benevolent protector/sacrificial bulwark against the white walkers is an interesting juxta position.

Archived