"Fair Game: The critical universe around Game of Thrones" - [Finally]

JonCon's Red Beard

4 minutes ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Why wouldn't HBO do the same for True Detective and Vinyl? If they've hit on this method of guaranteeing hit shows then wouldn't they do it everytime. In fact they are in a real predicament right now with so many of their shows bombing and other networks catching up to them in quality, now would be the perfect time to use this failsafe tactic.

That would be the question for HBO, right? Why are they promoting GOT stronger than any other show? I would like to hear their answer.

Just now, StepStark said:

That would be the question for HBO, right? Why are they promoting GOT stronger than any other show? I would like to hear their answer.

And what do you think is the answer 

(to be fair its not clear if GoT is promoted more than the other shows now, the Serbian was talking about events in the past, we don't actually know the level of promotion for Vinyl, although I've certainly never seen much in the way of promotion, but I am in the UK, not even sure it was on TV here)

2 minutes ago, David Selig said:

Let me guess - he again claimed that the scene is ruined because it is sped up in post-production which for him was a cardinal filmmaking sin. A few years ago he wrote about a million posts here complaining about that yet nobody bought his BS. It was pretty hilarious.

Yes he did bring it up, and what a minor thing to get riled up over.

And I have a question concerning the Serbian premiere party that is kind of a focal point here. Has GoT had other premiere parties in the other countries that it films in? If so, then it seems to be a rather smart marketing strategy and a decent way to thank the country for allowing the production to take place, not something that is done to influence good reviews especially if it was a one time event. I did find it odd that a journalist halfway around the world from HBO headquarters seems scared to write negatively about the show and what it implies of influence or conspiracy, depending on how you want to take it.

1 minute ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

What is it. What do you think is going on.

HBO's influence. To them GOT is important enough to promote it stronger than other shows. That's why GOT gets special treatment in the media and other HBO shows don't. No conspiracy there, just plain simple interest. Do you have some explanation? Why do you think reviewers who praise the show during the season, don't approve when the show wins Emmy? Why do you think no review addressed the stupidity of Sansa's decision? Can you explain something for a change?

1 minute ago, StepStark said:

HBO's influence. To them GOT is important enough to promote it stronger than other shows. That's why GOT gets special treatment in the media and other HBO shows don't. No conspiracy there, just plain simple interest. Do you have some explanation? Why do you think reviewers who praise the show during the season, don't approve when the show wins Emmy? Why do you think no review addressed the stupidity of Sansa's decision? Can you explain something for a change?

You say its not a conspiracy, but its a connection between companies to give the show good reviews, supposedly. For which there isn't any evidence. So what makes you think that these reviews are due to HBO and not because people simply like the show? Because that is my explanation. 

Just now, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

You say its not a conspiracy, but its a connection between companies to give the show good reviews, supposedly. For which there isn't any evidence. So what makes you think that these reviews are due to HBO and not because people simply like the show? Because that is my explanation. 

They like the show until it wins Emmy??? LOL!!!

5 minutes ago, StepStark said:

Why do you think no review addressed the stupidity of Sansa's decision? Can you explain something for a change?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2015/04/27/everything-wrong-with-sansa-stark-ramsay-bolton-marriage/26453201/

But it was addressed, maybe not in the scale that some people want, but it really doesn't take much to find it. And USA Today is not a minor media entity like an uproxx, it's mainstream with negative criticism of GoT.

1 minute ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

So did HBO simply 'forget' to influence them after the Emmy then yeah?

You really don't know how influence works. You actually don't know. You think that it's some constant never changing thing. And if there is no influence during Emmy awards, then it surely didn't exist during the season. Is that your logic???

12 minutes ago, StepStark said:

HBO's influence. To them GOT is important enough to promote it stronger than other shows. That's why GOT gets special treatment in the media and other HBO shows don't. No conspiracy there, just plain simple interest. Do you have some explanation? Why do you think reviewers who praise the show during the season, don't approve when the show wins Emmy?

Because they liked other shows more and would have preferred to see them win instead?

14 minutes ago, Joe Pesci said:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2015/04/27/everything-wrong-with-sansa-stark-ramsay-bolton-marriage/26453201/

But it was addressed, maybe not in the scale that some people want, but it really doesn't take much to find it. And USA Today is not a minor media entity like an uproxx, it's mainstream with negative criticism of GoT.

It wasn't addressed, at least not in this article. This guy is more critical than great many other reviews but he doesn't question Sansa's decision. He says he'll take issues if she gets raped, but he doesn't have issue with her decision as it is.

11 minutes ago, StepStark said:

You really don't know how influence works. You actually don't know. You think that it's some constant never changing thing. And if there is no influence during Emmy awards, then it surely didn't exist during the season. Is that your logic???

Ok tell me then, since you seem to be a total expert on the subject. Explain PRECISELY how this works, because at the moment its all being very vague and the word influence doesn't describe anything. Explain it to me. 

6 minutes ago, David Selig said:

Because they liked other shows more and would have preferred to see them win instead?

That's not how it looked like during the season. During the season, it often looks like GOT is the best thing ever. When they say that the show is brilliant then it should be a legitimate contender for Emmy in their eyes. But when the show actually won Emmy, they had a change of heart.

3 minutes ago, StepStark said:

It wasn't addressed, at least not in this article. This guy is more critical than great many other reviews but he doesn't question Sansa's decision. He says he'll take issues is she's raped, but he doesn't have issue with her decision as it is.

I look at the line from the article "And don't even get me started on the weak logic behind sending Sansa to Winterfell to marry Ramsay." as condemnation of not only her and LF's talk at Moat Cailin about marrying Ramsay, but the entire premise of the plotline itself, her decision included, when using the phrase 'weak logic'. That's of course my interpretation though.

6 minutes ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Ok tell me then, since you seem to be a total expert on the subject. Explain PRECISELY how this works, because at the moment its all being very vague and the word influence doesn't describe anything. Explain it to me. 

I'm not a total expert, I'm just not blindly ignoring the realities of commercial industries like television and the media. The influence of big corporations on the media is debated for years now. The issue of media being overly influenced by big companies that pour in money for advertising is being debated for years. That is the reality. You hate when that reality applies to GOT because you prefer to think that GOT deserves all the critical acclaim, but that's just you ignoring realities. And it's ironic, because it's mostly you who accuse us ranters that we are the ones ignoring realities of TV adaptation.

1 minute ago, Joe Pesci said:

I look at the line from the article "And don't even get me started on the weak logic behind sending Sansa to Winterfell to marry Ramsay." as condemnation of not only her and LF's talk at Moat Cailin about marrying Ramsay, but the entire premise of the plotline itself, her decision included, when using the phrase 'weak logic'. That's of course my interpretation though.

True he does say that, but he also says that if Sansa exacts some revenge on Boltons he'll be O.K. with it. That's why I'm saying he's not really questioning Sansa's decision itself.

1 minute ago, StepStark said:

I'm not a total expert, I'm just not blindly ignoring the realities of commercial industries like television and the media. The influence of big corporations on the media is debated for years now. The issue of media being overly influenced by big companies that pour in money for advertising is being debated for years. That is the reality. You hate when that reality applies to GOT because you prefer to think that GOT deserves all the critical acclaim, but that's just you ignoring realities. And it's ironic, because it's mostly you who accuse us ranters that we are the ones ignoring realities of TV adaptation.

Basically you have no idea. You suggest that big media is influencing the reviews, but you have nothing to back it up at all. Just like the documentary.

Archived